Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food/Drink Requirements

Default Food/Drink Requirements

Those of you who require food and drink as part of your contract - what exactly do you require (meal, buffet, sandwich) and is this for evening functions or just all-day weddings ?

My weddings seem to be getting longer (6pm starts, 1am finishes) so am going to start asking to be fed as part of the contract. Usually couples do offer, but I tend to find it is those that you do more for that do not offer - probably not intentionally just keep forgetting.

Any advise welcome as always
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

For evening only I don't require anything.

I can have a hot meal before I leave and take food for the evening.

For all day events I require a hot meal to be provided whilst the wedding breakfast is being served.

Whilst it may be in the contract most don't read the contract so make sure where you need feeding that you confirm what is being provided well in advance.

I never ask and always bring a sandwich with me on an all day or evening. I don't eat much when I am working (usually nothing on an evening only), but will inevitably get a spare meal or order one from the hotel bar menu for all days. For venues that don't have that then i would buy a few sandwiches, which keeps me through the day. I tend to buy food anyway just in case. I eat it the next day or on the way home quite often.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Last night I thought about this again as I was eating my cold KFC in the van while I watched the three photographers dig into a hot meal in a private room through a window that faced the venue car park... Last night was "just" an evening gig, but it required me to be on site at 4pm to be ready to start rigging for the 8pm start and I then had a 1am finish.

For evening functions I don't ask for food. For all day jobs I absolutely do. I need to be fed often and I don't function well without it I have to plan meals in and around deliveries and gigs and I'll usually have a lunchbox of food with me on evening gigs to snack on when it's quieter and for when I finish.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I don't do all day functions. If I did, I would make sure I took something to eat with me, probably a sandwich or something.
    Evening functions, I don't tend to have anything. If offered any food, I will politely refuse. I will generally grab something when I get home, which isn't the best time to eat, but I'd rather do that.

I remember an occasion a few years ago when I was a guest at a friends wedding (She asked me if I wanted to DJ and I said I'd rather have the night off as I had done the whole 'DJ at a friends wedding' thing far too many times over the years).
    I was sat a table, chatting to the father of the bride (a friend too), when I could see he was distracted......"Everything ok?" I asked....
    He sat there, looking in the direction of the (very large) buffet with his mouth opened wide in dis-belief.... "What's up!?" I asked..... "I don't bloody believe it!" he said, and got up from the table and made his way over to the buffet to a guy who was piling food from the buffet on to his plate.

Some strong words were exchanged, the plate was put down and the guy walked away............................................ba ck behind the Disco!
    Yes, it was the DJ who had taken it upon himself to visit the buffet BEFORE anybody else. As soon as he was back behind the Disco, he was on the microphone announcing that the buffet was now open.

I thought that was taking the proverbial beyond belief. The father of the Bride was not impressed at all. He was usually a chilled out guy, but this had wound him up big time. Neither of us could believe that someone would have the nads to do something like that and I guess a lot of people saw it happen too.
    "I would have offered him some food" said the father of the Bride.........."Now the can starve!" he continued. "I paid for a DJ to entertain everybody, not scoff his face!".

We sat there for a while and eventually he calmed down. I would never have done anything like that EVER and even when I have been asked if I want some food in the past, and on the very rare occasion I have visited the buffet (usually for a sausage roll as I may have been really hungry), I have been paranoid about what people may think when they see me picking from the buffet....That's just me though.

Lastly, I don't think it looks very professional when somebody is scoffing their face behind the decks. Unless you have help and can nip off and have something to eat, or you can sit down with the guests....I think you should either not do it, or go elsewhere out of view............or just wait until later.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I don't do all day functions. If I did, I would make sure I took something to eat with me, probably a sandwich or something.
    Evening functions, I don't tend to have anything. If offered any food, I will politely refuse. I will generally grab something when I get home, which isn't the best time to eat, but I'd rather do that.

I remember an occasion a few years ago when I was a guest at a friends wedding (She asked me if I wanted to DJ and I said I'd rather have the night off as I had done the whole 'DJ at a friends wedding' thing far too many times over the years).
    I was sat a table, chatting to the father of the bride (a friend too), when I could see he was distracted......"Everything ok?" I asked....
    He sat there, looking in the direction of the (very large) buffet with his mouth opened wide in dis-belief.... "What's up!?" I asked..... "I don't bloody believe it!" he said, and got up from the table and made his way over to the buffet to a guy who was piling food from the buffet on to his plate.

Some strong words were exchanged, the plate was put down and the guy walked away............................................ba ck behind the Disco!
    Yes, it was the DJ who had taken it upon himself to visit the buffet BEFORE anybody else. As soon as he was back behind the Disco, he was on the microphone announcing that the buffet was now open.

I thought that was taking the proverbial beyond belief. The father of the Bride was not impressed at all. He was usually a chilled out guy, but this had wound him up big time. Neither of us could believe that someone would have the nads to do something like that and I guess a lot of people saw it happen too.
    "I would have offered him some food" said the father of the Bride.........."Now the can starve!" he continued. "I paid for a DJ to entertain everybody, not scoff his face!".

We sat there for a while and eventually he calmed down. I would never have done anything like that EVER and even when I have been asked if I want some food in the past, and on the very rare occasion I have visited the buffet (usually for a sausage roll as I may have been really hungry), I have been paranoid about what people may think when they see me picking from the buffet....That's just me though.

Lastly, I don't think it looks very professional when somebody is scoffing their face behind the decks. Unless you have help and can nip off and have something to eat, or you can sit down with the guests....I think you should either not do it, or go elsewhere out of view............or just wait until later.
    I attended a friends wedding a few years back and had to announce the buffet was opened. How I knew this - I only went and walked past the 4 piece band ramming their gobs with food, entered the ballroom and wondered why there was no queue at the food station!

My pal was pretty laid back about it but I thought it was a complete fecking liberty they took.

For all day shots I take food with me - nuts / grazing stuff, crisps, sandwiches etc... so I can nibble throughout the day. If I'm offered a full meal happy days.

Evenings I don't eat, even after the gig I've maybe had a McD's twice in all the years of doing this. If I'm starving and someone hands me a plate then I'll find somewhere discreet to eat it but I'll never go up and help myself even when told to - it just doesn't seem kosher when you're working and being paid well to be getting fed too when you could have eaten before the gig.

Chris, I know where you're coming from, and in " The Good Old Days" you wouldn't have made this post, as it was unusual not to be fed and watered. I do believe that it's not unreasonable to put it in your contract that you need a bottle of lemonade and a packet of crisps.
    Mind you, as most clients never read it, I'm not convinced it will change things much.

Jim and Gary, if it's offered, I'm taking it, and I'll eat it in view of the guests. For one thing, I don't like leaving the gear too much, and for another, what about them sitting filling their faces in front of me, when I haven't been offered any? That's worse in my opinion. It's well know that I get around a bit, and eating beforehand may easily involve me grabbing sustenance frm the nearest filling station, and eating it " whenever and wherever " I can.

There's no right or wrong to this, simply different strokes for different folks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I do believe that it's not unreasonable to put it in your contract that you need a bottle of lemonade and a packet of crisps.
    I can't see the benefit of asking for something that you can easily provide yourself.

The reason I ask for a hot meal, is I don't want a diet of crisps etc. A hot meal typically is a wedding breakfast of meat, potato and veg.

As you mention though, no right or wrong - the client has the option to not book you if they don't agree with your rider requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I can't see the benefit of asking for something that you can easily provide yourself.
    Blimey, have I got to start taking a barbeque with me as well? A microwave? Gonna need a bigger van!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Food/Drink requirements

No not at all it's a bit rich expecting to be fed!!
    I did a presentation event and was asked before event if I wanted a meal ,even had my own table!!
    I tend to be discreet if I'm offered buffet food and have been offered drinks now and again.