Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Food/Drink Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    What's wrong with working on the assumption the customer won't feed us & ply us with drink - so we make our own arrangements ? I've lost count of the number of times I've been promised lovely burgers & god only knows what, only to be forgotten about & left feeling disappointed. So now I just assume I won't be fed & watered. It's just easier that way & a welcome bonus if I am
    A logical attitude.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I still stand by my requirement for one meal to be provided at an all-day event.

Typically I leave home at 10/11am, returning between 1 and 2am.

I have no issue with supplying my own lunch and a few snacks for later on, but I don't think it's unreasonable to require a meal during the wedding breakfast.

Many venues I work at are too far away from any other food source, to want to go off trying to find somewhere to eat.

For evening only events, I do not require any food at all - and will rarely take any food from the buffet, even when offered, because I am 'working' at that point (and it is only a few hours of performance).

I just don't get it. No offence to anybody that thinks that they should be fed and watered for whatever reason, but I have never had that way of thinking.
    Surely, it's up to us to look after ourselves?

Yes, it is nice to be offered every now and then (and I have refused 99 times out of 100), and it is appreciated but, whether it's an all day affair or just an evening reception, I think we should make our own arrangements.

Again, no offence but, I think I'd be slightly narked if the DJ / Entertainer or whoever, asked me to provide them with a meal etc. I'm not a cheapskate either, I just think it's wrong.

We had some work done on the new house a while back and there were 2 guys working for 2 days from 9.00am - 5.00pm. They were offered drinks and sandwiches during their time at the house, but they went off at lunchtime and did their own thing. If they'd stopped at lunchtime and asked for something to eat and drink, I'd think they were being bloody cheeky.
    If it was in their terms and conditions that I had to provide them with a meal, I wouldn't of booked their services.

I just find it strange and I personally wouldn't even dare to think it, let alone ask it.
    Everybody's different though eh!

Sorry, but a typical 8 hour day (9am to 5pm) cannot be compared to a situation where you are on site, often with no ability to leave, for 12-14 hours.

Photographers are getting fed - often just a couple of hours before they leave (first dance). Whereas at 5/6pm, I am still on site for another 6-8 hours after the meal.

For the small cost of the meal, it means I am able to remain on site throughout.

As I say though, for an evening only affair, there is no need at all to require feeding. Yet bands seem to regularly have it in their contract!

For those who don't feel the need to be fed during an all day wedding, that's fine. But I've come across some photographers on Facebook groups effectively trying to 'shame' suppliers who have this requirement in their contract. It's up to each supplier to determine what their terms of engagement are, and for the client to determine if they wish to book based on those terms.

So far, I've not have one client quibble over my requirement.

Fair play, and as I said "Everybody's different".

Must admit comment 40 & 43 sum up my attitude.

Never asked for food and never accepted if its been offered.

Always go to any gig prepared to go the distance under my own provisions. Got one 21st birthday party in September in a marquee on the outfield of a cricket pitch where I will be on site from midday till 4am.

Allowed for suitable provisions in the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I just don't get it. No offence to anybody that thinks that they should be fed and watered for whatever reason, but I have never had that way of thinking.
    Surely, it's up to us to look after ourselves?

Yes, it is nice to be offered every now and then (and I have refused 99 times out of 100), and it is appreciated but, whether it's an all day affair or just an evening reception, I think we should make our own arrangements.

Again, no offence but, I think I'd be slightly narked if the DJ / Entertainer or whoever, asked me to provide them with a meal etc. I'm not a cheapskate either, I just think it's wrong.

We had some work done on the new house a while back and there were 2 guys working for 2 days from 9.00am - 5.00pm. They were offered drinks and sandwiches during their time at the house, but they went off at lunchtime and did their own thing. If they'd stopped at lunchtime and asked for something to eat and drink, I'd think they were being bloody cheeky.
    If it was in their terms and conditions that I had to provide them with a meal, I wouldn't of booked their services.

I just find it strange and I personally wouldn't even dare to think it, let alone ask it.
    Everybody's different though eh!
    The difference here is that the workmen could pop to their van for an hour or maybe sit in your kitchen and bring their food in - at most venues they don't let you bring your own food in, it looks bad disappearing to the van for something to eat (admittedly there is nothing much to do in the afternoon) and also a lot of venues cater for the wedding and do not have any other snacks/meals to purchase. Plus as mentioned it is longer than a standard 8 hour day.

Also, don't know about anyone else but the first thing I do when someone is coming to my house to work is ask if they want a cuppa, if there all day a few cuppas. Just this morning had the boiler serviced and the guy got a cuppa and a biscuit.

It is a tough one as it sounds cheeky I admit. Evening only, fair enough, but an all-dayer can be difficult.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    Allowed for suitable provisions in the quote.
    Whereas I don't charge in the quote for food.

Some caterers/venues don't charge clients for providing a couple of supplier meals, which means the client is actually better off.

But, as I said above, no right or wrong way - just our own prefered way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    But, as I said above, no right or wrong way - just our own preferred way to work.
    Give that man any prize off the top shelf.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now, you see Benny, I have a problem with that. It reads to me like the threat of " if you don't feed me, I'm going to wander off for an hour at some point ", which means I won't be on hand all the time. That to me is wrong. My pitch is that when I arrive, I stay all day, to the bitter end.

If the kit's switched on, I want to be within easy reach of it for various reasons. The only occasion where I might consider it reasonable to leave would be if I hadn't started playing at all, and even then it's unlikely.
    So what's the alternative? Luke warm cheese sandwiches made at home eight hours ago. Or maybe those sugar filled breakfast bars. The thing is that if one doesn't look after themselves properly, you could end up eating food that should be have been refrigerated but has instead been in your lunchbox and could make you ill for the rest of the evening, or just consuming food that will pile on the pounds and will make you ill in the long term.

I'm not talking about wandering off for an hour. I'm talking about looking after myself the best I can so I can continue to do the job I'm asked to do and that will take as long as it takes to nip to the closest shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    We had some work done on the new house a while back and there were 2 guys working for 2 days from 9.00am - 5.00pm. They were offered drinks and sandwiches during their time at the house, but they went off at lunchtime and did their own thing.
    Either I'm reading that wrong, or you (the 'Venue') saw value in offering the two chaps (the 'Suppliers') food and drink during their 8 hours there while advocating that a DJ on a 14 hour day should look after themselves?