Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Is it a deal?

Default Is it a deal?

Saw this on Flea Bay and wondered if it's a good price and a recommended product for small to medium events.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LD-System...adc5%7Ciid%3A1

Ta

I and others would recommend them. I've now upgraded to 11s, for connectivity reasons, ie you can daisy chain them. You can't with 5s, unless you buy at least one 5 Go.

Covers will add a tidy sum, they're not cheap.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

It's a great product.

Brilliant for ceremonies/background music.

I've run them at small events and very capable. Medium events is quite subjective about what is 'medium', so wouldn't recommend them for such.

Buy direct from GetInTheMix rather than from their eBay listing so they don't have to absorb the large eBay fees (we need to look after our remaining retailers).

Connectivity reasons?....

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Connectivity reasons?....
    If you've got an Artist, he can plug into the mic/mp3 connectors, you use the line in, and the second unit is slaved from the first. Clear as mud, eh?
    You can't do that with 5s, but you can with 5 Go. Still clear as mud?

Default Is it a deal?

Oh yes I'll have 2 !! Where you lot get your money from ?

The LD maui range are very good speakers, I have a pair of LD 28 mix's, and I love them, but would I buy a pair of maui 5's ? the answer is definitely not without a very good reason to do so. The only reason I can think of is their light weight and easy portability or that you want them specifically for small events. IMO they are not suitable for 18 - 30 type events where they usually want a bit more grunt than the LD maui 5's are capable of producing. If you are spending £800 - £900 there's far better options available that don't weigh a ton and can be used for most medium size events. You can always turn the louder speakers down to suit a small event but you won't be able to turn the maui 5's up to suit a big event.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    The LD maui range are very good speakers, I have a pair of LD 28 mix's, and I love them, but would I buy a pair of maui 5's ? the answer is definitely not without a very good reason to do so. The only reason I can think of is their light weight and easy portability or that you want them specifically for small events. IMO they are not suitable for 18 - 30 type events where they usually want a bit more grunt than the LD maui 5's are capable of producing. If you are spending £800 - £900 there's far better options available that don't weigh a ton and can be used for most medium size events. You can always turn the louder speakers down to suit a small event but you won't be able to turn the maui 5's up to suit a big event.
    Cobblers! I've done over a hundred 18 year olds with a pair of 5s, and not been asked to turn it up. I don't know how the little blighters do it, but they punch far above their weight. I'm not suggesting that they compare with a four box rig with 18" subs, but it's amazing what they can cope with. When I had mine, they did far more than I expected.

Yes, there is a world of choice in the sub £1K bracket, and I can think of a couple I'd happily use. However, if you've already got say a four box rig which is a bit unwieldy for upstairs, a pair of 5s would be a versatile addition.

Right, now I'm not doing a wedding, let's see if I can explain " connectivity ".
    Unless you've got a slave unit ( ie no mixer ) your LD mix unit has a plethora of inputs. Not only mic, mp3 player, and High impedance guitar input for Artists, but also a pair of Line inputs for the Disco. This means you can have one unit being used by a vocalist plugged into these sockets, with full control of his/her sound. Also, you can have your disco plugged into the Line sockets, and use it as well.
    With a 5, that's it, there are no outputs.
    With the 11 upwards, you do get outputs, so you can slave a second unit from the first one. That's the biggest reason I went up to 11s.

However, for some strange reason, LD fitted the battery powered 5 Go with an output, meaning as long as you have at least one Go, you can daisy chain/slave additional units. Hope that clears things up a bit.

The great bonus with these rigs is exactly the ease with which you can offer a live artist a purpose built input into your rig. It's aimed at the Singer with an iPad and guitar, and it's not a full mixer with effects, but it's a perfectly usable one. Also, for a wedding where they don't want you to play background all day, but they do want music, again, Ipod into master unit, mic for announcements, full control from one place, and they don't need to touch your disco kit. Very versatile.

Similarly, I've got a hire coming up where I could simply give them an 11 to plug their MP3 player into, and they'd be in business. Simples. One or two speaker manufacturers are cottoning on to this, and offering more inputs on a box to emulate this.