Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolve 50's - anybody used them?

Default Evolve 50's - anybody used them?

I have the opportunity to test drive a set of EV Evolve 50's next Monday at a wedding (it's part of the EV promotion thing where you provide a review in return), but I'm starting to worry....

The venue is one where I normally take my DXR15s to do the job. Recently I've used the Maui 28s in there (whilst I re-brace the DXRs), and they always feel like they're a little bit lacking in power (might just be the way the sound is dispersed, the DB meter at the booth still reads over 100Db).

So, I'll be testing the Evolve 50s in this venue (will have the DXRs in the van in reserve), but I'm hearing mixed things about them and can't quite see the wood for the trees at the moment.

Some are saying they're brilliant (in fact one chap I know has done a side by side test with the Maui's and reckons they're a LOT louder), whilst others are saying they're nothing like powerful enough.

Anybody in here had a chance to use the Evolve 50s yet and have an opinion on them?

A DJ i use has them i think, you can ask him as he does things properly and does a more nightclub type DJ set:

http://www.dr-disco.co.uk
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

From what I can tell the differences between all these systems is negligible.

The Evox 8, Evolve and your Mauis are all pretty similar.

Nothing spectacularly different is suddenly going to appear.

I guess if you're finding the stick systems lacking then it's either a 15" sub with 12" tops, or it's the ES1203

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I guess if you're finding the stick systems lacking then it's either a 15" sub with 12" tops, or it's the ES1203
    Not lacking in most situations happily, just a couple of venues and one in particular.

The problem with this particular venue (it's my most visited each year) is that I'm on a wooden stage, and ALL equipment must be on said stage. It's OK...it works....but subs really DON'T suit being on that stage - they rumble far too much to be of any use (believe me....I've tried). In fact even the Maui's have to be reigned in on the bass side of things in there such is the thud that the stage manages to amplify.

The DXR15s are my usual weapon of choice in there and they do the job perfectly (they're obviously on stands so not using the stage to amplify the boom), but having had to fix the bracing in them again I'm beginning to lose faith in them after 5 years of faithful service (and believe me...they've never been over-driven or even clipped).

Talking to a couple of locals who've done the Evolve trial thing I'm going to be doing, these things do apparently somehow produce more power (I know....it defies physics but then the Maui's shouldn't be capable of making the noise that they do).

This time next week....I shall be a lot wiser (and if they're any good, possibly £3.5k poorer)....time will tell....

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Talking to a couple of locals who've done the Evolve trial thing I'm going to be doing, these things do apparently somehow produce more power (I know....it defies physics but then the Maui's shouldn't be capable of making the noise that they do).
    That's what I found when I first fired up my Maui 28 G2's in earnest. Had to quickly turn the bass down and overall oomph-age was a lot more that I thought it would be. First gig was a school prom and there was room to spare, yet the sound was crisp, clear and LOUD!!!!! And of course, much easier to put together and take apart with virtually no connecting cables.

Here's a question for you guys - I am going to nip into guitar guitar to check but thought I might as well ask here:

How robust is the connecting column?

I currently attach my lights to the poles on my HK600s. It's not an issue because it's just a screw in 35mm pole but, and I love the look of the evolve's, I'd be loath to spend that much on a speaker and then break them within a few gigs because of putting a load on the connections.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    How robust is the connecting column?
    Very Jim - they appear to be aluminium (not sure how you'd attach lighting to them though....they're a funny shape).

Back to the plot....today was the day. I have to admit - I'm impressed.

A grey haired old git oop North texted me earlier and said

Don't be too disappointed with them. They're not the answer to life, the universe and everything.
    Actually, for the purpose I was thinking of.....they are (and it doesn't make sense).

On paper, the Evolves (apart from being just shy of £1k more expensive EACH than the Maui 28s), are only 1DB more powerful.

The venue tonight was one where I've traditionally used the DXR15's - but they're big, bulky and look massive on the fairly small stage (and ALL kit HAS to go on the stage - no exceptions). The Maui's work in there, but only just (the little red limiter light occasionally looks like one of my fixtures....and I don't tend to run things too hard). They've never "sounded" loud either.

The Evolves? WOW!

They SOUNDED louder (even though the decibel meter was registering a little bit lower than with the Maui's), they sounded a hell of a lot crisper and punchier, and still had room to spare. Even the venue staff commented that they sounded good!

More importantly, the sound travelled further. The venue in question is two permanent marquees joined in the middle (there's a curtain dividing them which is pulled back whilst the disco is running, but also a lot of "wall"). The place absorbs sound, and normally you struggle (especially with the Maui's) to have announcements heard in the second marquee. These things didn't have that problem.

Maybe it's to do with the sound dispersal properties of them? Maybe they're a little bit more clever in the way the amplification is handled.....I dunno - I'm not an expert.

What I DO know is that they sounded a lot better in that venue than the sometimes overly harsh DXRs or the struggling Maui's.

Out of interest have you ever tried a pair of Evox 8 in that venue?

That's what I'd be interested to see how the Evolve 50 compares to? The Evox 8 is still 3 years on my weapon of choice and has handled everything I've thrown at it!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Out of interest have you ever tried a pair of Evox 8 in that venue?

That's what I'd be interested to see how the Evolve 50 compares to? The Evox 8 is still 3 years on my weapon of choice and has handled everything I've thrown at it!
    Nope....or at least.....not yet

I'm going to have some words with the dealer when I take these back, especially now I've had a limited amount of sleep.

For what they are, I'm sorry EV but they're over-priced by about £500 a unit (they're compatible to and should be priced somewhere near the CS1000 to my mind).

Having given them a lot of thought, I think they need to be producing a lot more volume for the money (I would have been happier with a bit more headroom). Unfortunately, we're hitting the laws of physics though and there's only so much a stick rig can produce.

That said, they still outperformed the Maui28s - go figure! Actually I think a LOT of what I see as being a problem with the Maui's is the sound dispersion over such a wide angle....they just "sound" quieter even though they're not.

For a smidgen over the price of ONE Evolve50 I can get a full ES1203 system (OK - you'd actually need a pair for redundancy purposes)
    For a couple of hundred quid more, I can get a pair of Evox 8s (very, VERY similar spec) and adjustable poles (that's another gripe with the Evolves....they do a shorter distance pole which is about 8 inches long....and £100 PER SIDE!)

The fat lady hasn't sung yet!

Es1203... Hold that thought. A mate of mine had one of his pair of 1203s blow up on him last week. Barely even 3 months old & the amp plate is kaput. First warranty claim in all of Europe apparently... Hmmm.