Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolve 50's - anybody used them?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Es1203... Hold that thought. A mate of mine had one of his pair of 1203s blow up on him last week. Barely even 3 months old & the amp plate is kaput. First warranty claim in all of Europe apparently... Hmmm.
    Hence why I said you'd need a pair

How many DJs are out there with a single unit (as sold) who don't realise that if that bottom box goes bang for any reason.....there's no sound whatsoever?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Hence why I said you'd need a pair

How many DJs are out there with a single unit (as sold) who don't realise that if that bottom box goes bang for any reason.....there's no sound whatsoever?
    You'd need 3 actually. For although you csn limp along on just one side it's far from ideal. When you run on your backup, Where's your fallback for that failing?

Having to carry an entire backup system is the whole reason I don't already own a very nice sounding 2.1 system

You'd need 3 actually. For although you csn limp along on just one side it's far from ideal.
    Backups are about getting through the night.

One side is enough to keep a party going.

No music at all is going to be very noticeable.

Backups are about what is required to get through the night - doesn't always have to be 'perfect'.

It's why I like active systems, like the Evox 8 - if one dies, I don't lose all music (unlike an amp and passive speakers).

I have not heard these personally.
    However, a friend of mine was quite excited about using them at a function a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how he managed to get a set to demo, but he did, and off he went.
    Now, over the past week or so I have read various reviews from DJ's all over the country regarding these speakers. The majority seem to love them, and can't rave about them enough, although their reviews are not 100% positive as there appear to be the odd niggles here and there.

Of course, any full on negative reviews aren't going to be aired.........are they!?

So, back to my friend..........well, a friend of a friend if you want to be picky.
    Just like many of the other DJ's reviews, he also said that two of the biggest plus points about the speakers were that they took up hardly any room during transportation, and they were stupidly easy to set up.
    He also said the sound was pretty crisp, with clear highs and nice deep lows.............but they simply were loud enough.

I didn't ask whether he was in a marquee, wooden barn, on a stage or whatever......he just said that he felt as if he was pushing them and they were all out with no room for more. Maybe he had his EQ set up wrong, I don't know.

Would he buy a pair?
    No, not at their current price (which I must admit, seems fairly high).
    Would he have them if somebody gave him them?
    Well, for the right amount of people in the right kind of venue and so on, so on, so on.......probably.

To me, paying that amount of money...I'd want them to blow me away when I demo'd them, and I wouldn't want to doubt them. He did have his doubts, and thus was not impressed. Others may, well probably will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I have not heard these personally.
    However, a friend of mine was quite excited about using them at a function a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how he managed to get a set to demo, but he did, and off he went.
    It's an EV promotion. Basically the dealers are "free hiring" the PA in return for a review (and the chance to win a set).

I've just done my review - much like the one of your friend (pretty much word for word actually.....have you joined the local FB group per-chance? )

I mulled over what I was going to say for a while this morning.

Yes - I like them....a LOT (I really do - they're fantastic speakers...just not for the venue I was using them in). They're solid, they're light, they're quick and easy to set up.

BUT - as already mentioned, for the price point they're lacking. To my mind they don't offer anything different or much better to any of the other stick rigs, and therefore I can't justify the additional £3-400 per side (plus £99 for the smaller riser should you need it, plus however much the bags are).

This is where EV are going wrong at the moment for me. Price them at the same as their comparable systems (Evox8, CS1000 et. al.), and yes, I'd take a pair. OR - keep the price as is (it'd stop Sidney getting them) but INCLUDE the bags and the smaller riser to justify the cost.

They do seem to run out of oomph fairly quickly too. I only collected mine a couple of hours before my gig last night so didn't have a proper opportunity to play with the EQ side of things, and instead opted for the pre-set "Club" option (sort of made sense). There were a couple of times I noticed that they'd hit their inbuilt limiter (you actually have to look at an LCD panel to see it rather than a nice obvious LED coming on), yet other times all was fine (and the signal from my MC7000 was fairly constant, maybe hitting one yellow at times but certainly nothing too bad). They were ALWAYS going to be pushed in the particular venue I'd chosen to test them in....that was deliberate

The problem is, there's only so far physics will go and I think in terms of volume, we're pretty much there with the stick rigs, which is probably why EV have built other things in that to be honest....most of us will never use (things like being able to delay the signal between speakers to spread them further down the room etc. and a phone app which doesn't actually do much).

I haven't joined any local FB groups. I don't participate in the DJ groups on FB. I have been following an equipment supplier for a few years as I purchased some lighting from them. Thanks for explaining about the EV promotion. Most of the reviews I have seen have been via this equipment supplier, and also another who I used to use regularly down south.

A lot of these reviews have mentioned bags not being big enough for uprights (I think?), which if correct, I find more than amusing. These companies put everything into the speaker designs etc, and charge over the odds (well over the odds), for them, yet they slack on the very things that protect them.

Even if I was full on DJing as before, I don't think I'd be purchasing any of these. They're far too pricey for what they are. They need to be double the output for that price (in my opinion).

I haven't joined any local FB groups. I don't participate in the DJ groups on FB.
    The one local to us is actually very good. They're not your average willy waving wedding DJ, they're sensible and include the likes of Nick Chatten and Ian Stewart (AKA Euan Bass).
    A lot of these reviews have mentioned bags not being big enough for uprights (I think?), which if correct, I find more than amusing. These companies put everything into the speaker designs etc, and charge over the odds (well over the odds), for them, yet they slack on the very things that protect them.
    The complaint is that the bags don't have space for the mini spacer (I'm sure with a little work and a knife I could change that). The mini-spacer by the way costs (I'm led to believe), £99 per side....for an 8" piece of aluminium with a couple of contacts running through it. To my tiny mind at the price point they're selling these for, the mini-spacer should be included.

I've been researching further tonight (on a certain German site because business is business as much as I like to support my local dealer... ), and it appears quite strangely that the tops are provided with a bag, whilst the subs aren't!

Even if I was full on DJing as before, I don't think I'd be purchasing any of these. They're far too pricey for what they are. They need to be double the output for that price (in my opinion).
    I completely agree. However (and Peter knows more about the physics of PA than I do), you cannae change the laws of physics and with the size of drivers in these systems, I think we're pretty much hitting the limit on what can be achieved volume-wise without using bigger drivers and wooden cabs.

Whilst they sounded absolutely superb, even running on their limit at times (and last night's test was deliberate to push them to their max in a venue where I knew they'd have to work hard!), the £1.7k price tag (or £1.3k on a certain German site) per side is very rich for something which is in a very crowded market place with not an awful lot to make it stand out from the crowd.

I'm now warming very slightly towards Evox8's to be honest. The specs are almost identical (hell...apart from the spacer and the cables they even LOOK similar, but they're a much more sensible price...even from my local dealer who will furnish me with a package which includes cases)....just need to wait for him to get some in stock so I can go and actually do an A/B test between the two.

If they can come anywhere close to what I heard last night with the EV50's, even on their limit...I'll be acquiring some.

Why am I looking for new PA you might ask?
    After all, I have the Yamaha 8/12 combo, the Maui 28's and the DXR15's in my armoury?

The Yammy 8/12 combo, whilst jaw dropping is too much of a faff to put up by the time you've lugged it all in, set it up and hidden the cables. To my tiny mind....it also looks a little old fashioned these days to have subs and tops (that's just my personal opinion and I like to move with the times....I'm sure customers don't actually notice this fact!). These will shortly be going up for sale because they're not used and they're taking up space in my lockup (I'm open to very sensible offers by the way!)

The Maui 28s aren't loud enough (actually they ARE, it's just the way they're set up with the sound dispersion which makes them seem not as loud as they actually are). I have decibel meter readings to PROVE they're loud (around 110db at the booth vs the EV50s which registered at 95db at the booth last night but SOUNDED louder)....but punters still want more and the Maui's won't give it. At the end of the day, if the customer wants loud, that's what I need to give them. Should I go for another PA...these will also be going the way of the Yammy 8/12 combo.

The DXR15's...aaah...my weapons of choice for sooooo long. Compared to the current offerings, they're harsh. They also have the slight disadvantage of the fact that I've had to drill holes in the very thin bracing struts (would you believe Yamaha used an M6 self tapping screw to secure those!?!) to reenforce them so trust in them is lacking sadly (and unlike the days of yore, they've done 5 years and are coming to the end of their useful life).

ES1203's have been ruled out of the equation - I don't like to take the risk of one box running the show.
    Maui44's - not impressed with the specs for the price
    CS1000's - I don't do organised religion (in fact, my dealer 100% agrees with me on that one...the market is now flooded with FBT stuff and I'm really not a sheep!)

Any other sensible ideas?

As much as 'traditional' bins & tops are falling out of favour these days with compact systems taking their place, there really is no doubt in my mind that you just can't beat a bin & top combo for sonic output in terms of volume or quality. Loudness & depth of bass aren't the only criteria at play here though.

Compact systems (aka stick, aka 'array' [misnomer] ) offer convenience & usually quite pretty looks in smaller, usually lighter packages. They're nothing short of a compromise though. You simply can't get really nice bass at any appreciable volume out of small cabs with small drivers (see Peter's laws of physics lesson) & you never will.

You can have loud, you can have punchy, you can have good reach, you can have compact size & you can have light weight .. oh and CHEAP - but you can't have all these at the same time.

What you really have to figure out is this:

What do you want?

Well, obviously you want all of the above. I mean we ALL do - but it ain't gonna happen til they change those laws of physics.

I demoed a 15" bin from Db with one of their 10" tops a while back & liked the sound of it very very much indeed. It'd set me back around 2 grand a pair & would cope with pretty much every gig I'm ever likely to get. Would I always need 2 15" bins? Heck no, so I'm hesitating.

Compacts? Well they DO look much prettier than tops on tripods. Well nearly ANYTHING looks prettier than tops on tripods (OI! Leave my scrims out of this.. ).. The problem I have with compacts is paying over the odds as I see it for form over function. If I'm gonna spend 1500 to 2000 pounds I'd really want nice fat bass & an output nobody will ever yell "turn it up!" at.

In an ideal world I'd get both.. hmm now there's a thought...

At Coalville a couple of years ago, it became apparent that the " stick rigs " were pushing the boundaries of how much noise they can make by increasing their size so much that they're hard to call " compact " as well. At some point, with 12" subs and 8" tops, they've actually become Wayne's Yamaha rig.

What to suggest for him? Well since he appears to be power crazed, I'd go for an Evox 12 before an 8. Would I suggest a 12? Until I do more research, I don't know. I've no idea of prices, so I'll have to check on that. I do know that I recently met a local DJ who runs one Maui 44, saying it's louder than two 28s.

Wayne, I think you're seeking The Holy Grail. Either that, or you're soon going to have more speakers than most dealers.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

You can have loud, you can have punchy, you can have good reach, you can have compact size & you can have light weight .. oh and CHEAP - but you can't have all these at the same time.

What you really have to figure out is this: What do you want?

Well, obviously you want all of the above. I mean we ALL do - but it ain't gonna happen till they change those laws of physics.
    How true that is, although there are many people out there who seem convinced you can 'have it all'. It really comes down to the size of the gigs you do which dictates the power of the PA you need, everything else is a compromise.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire