Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The eternal playlist conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well, that's because all residents get the job through nepotism, and other nefarious practices, but rarely on merit.

( Also kidding )

!
    In the past we had a particular way of convincing people. "I still have all the negatives"

This thread has just reminded me of a time when I used to have business cards which had contact details on to send requests to. I feel like I was a bit ahead of the game as nobody ever used them except to prank call me at the start of the night or to try and have a conversation which was just odd. Nowadays it might actually be used for its intended purpose!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    This thread has just reminded me of a time when I used to have business cards which had contact details on to send requests to. I feel like I was a bit ahead of the game as nobody ever used them except to prank call me at the start of the night or to try and have a conversation which was just odd. Nowadays it might actually be used for its intended purpose!
    I've pondered using VDJ's 'ask the dj' or my old web app, or some other online thingy.. but nah. Real interaction is important. We're viewed by some as machines enough as things are without making it any worse.

I like techy stuff. I'm not usually slow to embrace new things - but interacting with real people, not just being a kiosk people press buttons on.. I won't give that up without a fight!

Don't get me wrong - the web app I made was a response to a problem - a venue where they placed me out of the way of the lovely people. To that end it was a great solution. I wouldn't use it in place of people coming to see me though. Oh but what if somebody is too scared to come up, or thinks I'll just ignore them anyway etc? Sorry luv, that's not my problem.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 17-08-2018 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Toby, we're talking the former unfortunately.

Somebody standing there in front of you whilst you wait there like an idiot, watching them type their request into a text message and then shove the phone in your face!
    I have 'Sorry I don't have that one' typed into my phone which I show them. Usually gets a laugh and they realise just how rude it is.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    interacting with real people, not just being a kiosk people press buttons on.. I won't give that up without a fight!
    Its our job to connect with the guests and that is a perfect, relevant and legitimate way to do that.
    Electronic playlists or requests should be left in the clubs and bars IMO.
    Request slips yes as they then have to come up and talk about what they have asked for, although thats often a recipe for stupidity.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Oh but what if somebody is too scared to come up, or thinks I'll just ignore them anyway etc? Sorry luv, that's not my problem.
    I agree. It's definitely not our problem, but personally speaking, I am conscious of the fact that there ARE some out there who are scared to approach us for whatever reason. I used to be the same many, many years ago when I was the kid. There were often times when I would go to a family disco or party and I would sit there listening to the music that wasn't really my cup of tea. I was itching to get up and go over to the DJ and ask for a song, but I just couldn't do it. I would often end up going home when the Disco had finished, frustrated that I hadn't plucked up the courage to request a song.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I have 'Sorry I don't have that one' typed into my phone which I show them. Usually gets a laugh and they realise just how rude it is.
    I did think about doing something like that too after the first time. I bet that gets some looks eh!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Request slips yes as they then have to come up and talk about what they have asked for, although thats often a recipe for stupidity.
    I went through a stage where I did put some request slips on tables at bookings. On a few occasions, people thought they were karaoke slips. Most of the time they worked, but I stopped putting them out as I thought it was cutting down the interaction between myself and the guests. Most people were coming over with their request slips, smiling, handing them to me, and then returning to wherever they'd come from.
    You're right, it is our job to interact with the guest.....unfortunately (and I am sure we have ALL had this before), how many times can you announce over the microphone that you are taking requests during the evening, and either (a) Nobody comes over and asks, or (b) On the rare occasion that people actually do talk to you, they ask "Are you taking requests?".

I do an great (IMHO) intro thing quite often & none of my announcements seem to fall on deaf ears.. So I think... Until some wise character asks "have you got a microphone?" Nope fraid not. I get Peter Dickson to prerecord all my announcements

Ask the DJ is a great way to drive traffic to your site and raise brand awareness....

I do an great (IMHO) intro thing quite often & none of my announcements seem to fall on deaf ears.. So I think... Until some wise character asks "have you got a microphone?" Nope fraid not. I get Peter Dickson to prerecord all my announcements
    I was told something many years ago by a local DJ which still registers in my mind.

He says he never makes his introductions from behind his booth (well table as it was back then), instead he always goes to the middle of the dancefloor, no music and makes his introductions.

Every since I have copied this and (usually as I am introducing the first dance) always go out front, no music and ensure I have peoples attention and make sure I point out that there is always safe access to pop behind the booth to ask for any requests. Does help but you still get the odd one with a few too many Vodkas inside them who try other ways to make requests.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Ask the DJ is a great way to drive traffic to your site and raise brand awareness....
    I didn't realise you could brand it. Maybe I'll look into this...