Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The eternal playlist conundrum

I always have a pen and note pad on the desk anyway.

If i do get to converse and I understand what they want I write it down anyway otherwise I might forget!

If i am really busy I sometimes hand them the pad and ask them to write it down! Especially if I am struggling to hear them.

Guess I might not be able to do that with the youngsters in the future as they may not be able to write, only type in text speak!

It's not so much that the request is written on a phone & more that it's thrust right into your face. Ok I wear glasses at gigs now so I can read the text on my laptop... Maybe they think it needs to be that close for me to see it!

Folk are right though. It's still better than some tipsy person literally shouting in your ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    it's the younger ones who MUST have their song on next or they'll have a tantrum.
    I blame Jlo!!

I love a good list for most weddings, mainly the Bride and groom requests. I am not too fussed on requests on the night as its one persons view, but occasionally you get one event where everyone is just on point and ask for the perfect tracks. now that makes life easier, especially if they all like a certain type of music etc. I had an usher on the weekend, who was just totally up with what everyone would like as its one big family. EVERY track he asked for filled the floor, in many respects he would probably have been a better DJ than me in terms of selection (ignoring the order of play & mixing).

When it comes to private functions, corporates and certain weddings then thats when requests really become redundant to me as they can often just get in the way especially with a jumped up PA who thinks as she has organied the party that I play R&B all night. Most corporates & group events, I like to just make the judgement myself, but with special parties I like to make a bit of a fuss of the birthday girl. The whole point is to get that or those persons dancing as its their night. It amazes me how many mens lists have some very girly requests, you would never guess that in a million years.

I could not care a less about people requesting, its nice to have a bit of a chat with someone and get a bit of insight into the night or the client/guests. Its amazing what you can get when you ask questions about why she thinks the groom would like that track (or friends group). I get annoyed when someone is rude or demanding though & I am quick to deal with the situation or I just wont play their track if they are not very nice. Its amazing what I will play with someone that is courteous though, on that note a seminally terrible track can turn out to be the track of the night. I don't mind phone requests, i tend to get people over to my side and have a chat with them. I use Stickies on my MacBook and hot corners to go between that and Serato, has worked wonders for 10 years.

People that shout in my ear or wave glasses of wine over my electronics also really annoys me, but its just part of the job, the majority of which I love.
    Last edited by yourdj; 15-08-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I blame Jlo!!

Oh yes! I used to hate that song for that very reason. The next! thing is older than that though.

I agree!
    It's all very well saying it's the modern way of scribbling on a pad, and that may well be true BUT.....on every single occasion I have experienced it personally (and thinking about it, it's actually happened 3 times), it has been a very annoying experience. I don't appreciate anything being thrust in my face (no matter what it is), let alone a phone held by somebody who can't be bothered to communicate respectfully.

Long gone are the days (sadly) when people used to literally queue up by the booth when I was DJing in clubs to either lean over and shout a request in my ear, or scribble a handful of requests on to my pad (I went through loads of pens in those days too!). I miss those days and that interaction.

Instead, a guy comes up to me at a wedding. I spot him from across the dance floor, trying to get my attention. I watch him as he makes his way across the dance floor, typing stuff into his phone, almost oblivious to those around him who actually know how to enjoy themselves and are dancing.
    He approaches me, smiles and then shoves his phone in my direction, right under my nose. I read what's written on the screen and it is a request - I don't remember it word for word, but it was something like - "Do you have Nirvana - In Bloom?" - I must admit, that was the first time it had ever happened to me. I laughed at first, and for a split second I thought of doing what Benny mentioned and grabbing his phone and replying "Yes" and leaving it at that, but I didn't. I read it, laughed and nodded my head and that was it. He smiled and walked off. No "Thank you" or anything, and I stood there wondering what had just happened.

Apart from the other time I mentioned in a previous reply, there was another occasion where I was DJing and I was already talking to somebody about a request. Somebody that actually bothered to come over and TALK.....yes, TALK to me and ASK me face to face if I could play something for them. As I stood there with them, a very pretty girl approached me with 2 friends in tow. She looked at me, smiled and then shoved her phone under my nose. I looked at the screen, smiled back and said "Sorry, I don't have that". She said nothing. She just started writing something on her phone INCHES away from me, head down whilst the 2 girls with her just stood there and said nothing. After 20 or so seconds (long enough to actually ASK me), she shoved the phone under my nose again, and there was another request on the screen. I nodded, she smiled, and then left with her friends.

I must admit, I was lost for words. I said nothing. The guy who had been stood with me and had asked for a request, turned to me and said "Did that really just happen?".....

In my opinion (and it's just my opinion), it is never too loud to get your words across. To me, part of the job is being accessible and approachable.
    When I was a kid and went along to family discos at the local social club, or parties where there was a DJ, it almost felt like a dare at times going to speak to the DJ to ask for a request. When you did muster up the courage to go over and see them, it felt good and it was great that they weren't as scary as you'd expected. When they played your request or even better, dedicated it to you, it made you feel good. When I started DJing, I made sure that I was approachable and no matter how busy I may have been / may be, I always made / make a point of smiling, and being as approachable as possible, especially with those that I can tell are possibly nervous.

I'd rather have people shouting over the music at me, than a phone thrust in my face. If somebody did that to me when I wasn't working, they would more than likely lose their phone, or have to go running to find it.

When I did the parties for the austistic junior school, it was a pleasure. None of them got on their phones to request songs. They loved the fact that they could come over and speak to the DJ, and I really enjoyed talking to them, rather than standing there like a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I agree!
    It's all very well saying it's the modern way of scribbling on a pad, and that may well be true BUT.....on every single occasion I have experienced it personally (and thinking about it, it's actually happened 3 times), it has been a very annoying experience. I don't appreciate anything being thrust in my face (no matter what it is), let alone a phone held by somebody who can't be bothered to communicate respectfully.

Long gone are the days (sadly) when people used to literally queue up by the booth when I was DJing in clubs to either lean over and shout a request in my ear, or scribble a handful of requests on to my pad (I went through loads of pens in those days too!). I miss those days and that interaction.

Instead, a guy comes up to me at a wedding. I spot him from across the dance floor, trying to get my attention. I watch him as he makes his way across the dance floor, typing stuff into his phone, almost oblivious to those around him who actually know how to enjoy themselves and are dancing.
    He approaches me, smiles and then shoves his phone in my direction, right under my nose. I read what's written on the screen and it is a request - I don't remember it word for word, but it was something like - "Do you have Nirvana - In Bloom?" - I must admit, that was the first time it had ever happened to me. I laughed at first, and for a split second I thought of doing what Benny mentioned and grabbing his phone and replying "Yes" and leaving it at that, but I didn't. I read it, laughed and nodded my head and that was it. He smiled and walked off. No "Thank you" or anything, and I stood there wondering what had just happened.

Apart from the other time I mentioned in a previous reply, there was another occasion where I was DJing and I was already talking to somebody about a request. Somebody that actually bothered to come over and TALK.....yes, TALK to me and ASK me face to face if I could play something for them. As I stood there with them, a very pretty girl approached me with 2 friends in tow. She looked at me, smiled and then shoved her phone under my nose. I looked at the screen, smiled back and said "Sorry, I don't have that". She said nothing. She just started writing something on her phone INCHES away from me, head down whilst the 2 girls with her just stood there and said nothing. After 20 or so seconds (long enough to actually ASK me), she shoved the phone under my nose again, and there was another request on the screen. I nodded, she smiled, and then left with her friends.

I must admit, I was lost for words. I said nothing. The guy who had been stood with me and had asked for a request, turned to me and said "Did that really just happen?".....

In my opinion (and it's just my opinion), it is never too loud to get your words across. To me, part of the job is being accessible and approachable.
    When I was a kid and went along to family discos at the local social club, or parties where there was a DJ, it almost felt like a dare at times going to speak to the DJ to ask for a request. When you did muster up the courage to go over and see them, it felt good and it was great that they weren't as scary as you'd expected. When they played your request or even better, dedicated it to you, it made you feel good. When I started DJing, I made sure that I was approachable and no matter how busy I may have been / may be, I always made / make a point of smiling, and being as approachable as possible, especially with those that I can tell are possibly nervous.

I'd rather have people shouting over the music at me, than a phone thrust in my face. If somebody did that to me when I wasn't working, they would more than likely lose their phone, or have to go running to find it.

When I did the parties for the austistic junior school, it was a pleasure. None of them got on their phones to request songs. They loved the fact that they could come over and speak to the DJ, and I really enjoyed talking to them, rather than standing there like a robot.
    Take their phone, put it under your booth and say you’ll play it later and need it to remind you, you’ll have a nice collection of phones soon

Unfortunately unless you have signs up stating exactly how you want requests to be presented to you you’re going to get them in many weird and wonderful ways...might as well smile, say yay or nay and not let it get to you, life’s far too short to get wound up over a few seconds of guest interaction (or lack of) at a party.

So are we talking people writing on their phones and not actually going through their music list and finding one they like?

To me the later makes sense as a lot of people (especially girls) don't know the name of the song as they listen to music and its often part of the verse they remember. The most funny was 'calling a cab', turned out to be Mr Brightsidet more commonly something like Jitterbug (wake me up - Wham), bu. Yes I would be a bit funny about something written on a phone, but it would depend on the person, if they came up all smiles, showed me a track on iTunes, and did not interrupt me mid announcement etc. then yes no problems.

Toby, we're talking the former unfortunately.

Somebody standing there in front of you whilst you wait there like an idiot, watching them type their request into a text message and then shove the phone in your face!
    Coming up to me, asking me if I have something and then showing me their phone with a song from their playlist or music library is NOT a problem for me at all.
    That happens a lot, so apologies if anybody has gotten the wrong idea and thinks I am some kind of grump, because that's not the case.

To be fair, on some of those occasions....what they have shown me from their phone may have actually jogged my memory and reminded me that I had forgotten to play it, so I don't mind that. It's the rude, almost mute like idiots that I detest, and yes....wind me up.

But I agree Martin, life IS too short.....and that's why I don't have to put up with it as much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Let's not forget, 90% of all DJs are pretty rubbish.

OK, I made that stat up, but I'm pretty confident that it's not far off the truth.
    The more I hear of some other DJs as I travel round, the more I believe that you may not be far off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    When you charge more, there's a perception that you must be good at what you do to charge that much. It really does help to instil confidence.
    Perception. That can lead in some cases to me quoting Mr PT Barnum.

Now the differences in opinion there may be regional, or may be due to the fact that I'm nearer to being a baby boomer than a snowflake and don't know how communicate with them.....I dunno. What I DO know is that I'd rather be working for a more "mature" crowd than a bunch of young-uns...they just tend to be easier.
    Wayne, you're out of order calling Benny a Snowflake!

Out of order, as in getting in there before me.

I'll stop on that point because I'm probably just digging an ever deeper hole!
    Never stopped Toby.

If I don't meet them (which sadly is becoming more and more common even though the offer's always there), that's when the huge playlists tend to come into play.
    While I love client meetings, I haven't found a correlation between the lack of one, and the length of the request list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Oh great another bit of resident ragging. I may kill again

Kidding!
    Well, that's because all residents get the job through nepotism, and other nefarious practices, but rarely on merit.

( Also kidding )

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    The request typed on a phone thing.

As I get older and my hearing begins to deteriorate seems reasonably sensible to me! Especially if they proceed it with a polite could you play this for me. I have struggled to hear people at a noisy gig plenty of times and after a 3rd attempt guess what they’ve said anyway!

Anyhow, in the future wont they text in their requests or use interactive keypads?

Semi playing devils advocate here.
    Carry on that man.
    I can usually cope with the phone request thing, but my biggest gripe is when they stick the bloody screen on my nose end! I then have to grab their arm and extend it away from me, so I can see what it says!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    It's the rude, almost mute like idiots that I detest, and yes....wind me up.
    My builders son helps him one day a week and he is on his phone ALL DAY, with an ear plug in his ear. This means that he is never present on the job and as a result makes a lot of mistakes. I am going to say to my builder (when he arrives in a minute) are you paying him and would he let any other assistants do that? If that was my son, the phone would be locked in the glove box until breaks. He is a nice lad though, but is clearly linked emotionally to his device.

This is on topic but totally out there for a DJ forum on a Thursday morning - I think we will eventually merge 'voluntarily' with technology and become androids, this will take thousands of years mind (as the tech rev will slow down before too long), but it may eventually resemble something like a series of passive Borg collectives, especially if we colonise other planets/galaxies as it will be different (just look at Americans LOL). Thats actually pretty cool if you ask me as if there are other aliens out there, then with the potential of 14 billion years before the earth was created, they will undoubtably be super advanced and thats the only known way to go to improve the running and data storage capacities of carbon/silicon brains, unless there are more senses and dimensions (which is pretty much proved).

I think the writing on the phone thing comes from nightclubs (as has been mentioned) as a lot of youngsters go out every week and see DJ's that either can't hear them are up high in a booth or are just too cool to talk to a punter directly. The amount of other functions they go too are probably just crap parties 2-3 times a year, so to actually see a half decent mobile DJ with decades of experience and some decent communication skills and manners is probably a novelty.

Here is something that might impress you Peter/Gary. I am setting up a conferencing takeover business with my main business competitor (just makes sense) to share our venues and do the whole day from the breakfast to the gala dinner/awards etc. My prime venue, which is perfect for it (250 capacity) and has lots of open space for team building has sod all internet, as its in the middle of knowhere. I am planning on doing DEVICE FREE CONFERENCING. I am sure this is already a thing (not done the research yet) but all delegates have to put their phones and tablets into a basket in the morning and only use them on breaks, which should satisfy people neededing to contact kids or whatever. Not sure on the rest but eco friendly conferencing is in my mind to compliment it. What Facebook post or auction ending on Ebat a novelty to sit round a table for 2 days and be totally in the room, rather than worrying about a recent Facebook post or auction ending on Ebay!! My guess is that a lot more creative thinking will result and the reviews on it will be off the scale (obviously the rest of the management will be spot on LOL).
    Last edited by yourdj; 16-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.