Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A really stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Unless it’s the first dance or other key moment...
    Ceremony and first dance I have an immediate system in place, for the rest of the night I don't.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Unless it’s the first dance or other key moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Ceremony and first dance I have an immediate system in place, for the rest of the night I don't.
    Quite. I have an iPad using DJay to get me through a few tracks and a laptop/controller in the car. No one would know any different even during first dance but it if I pressed play on both at the same time, it would be seamless. It would take a few seconds to set up the new system. i might start thinking about having the controller next to my main kit, although its more probable that the laptop will go down.

Can you not go through the dead controller Aux if it works as a separate input/output when not on? My VCI 300 did that so I would be surprised if its not standard these days (my mc4000 does it i think). Mixers don't take that long and are dead handy for a bit of extra gain and other connections if required. I have a small mackie mixer in box that is already all wired and loomed up with the electrics and lighting control, so thats possibly worth a thought as it save LOADS of time setting up. Perhaps a mixer can be incorporated into your controller flight case?

Name:  NI_Traktor_Kontrol_S4_MK2_Controller_Backview.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  21.0 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Combining signals without a mixer is a big no-no (or is, at best, likely to create problems), switching between them is fine. I've had recent experience of a bar where they've split the output to run an amp for a pair of speakers on the dance floor and a secondary system that repeats the sound using small speakers around the bar by daisy chaining the signal through the in/out connections on a set of small amps. It all works fine unless one of the amps is turned off. With any one of the amps turned off you get a weird repeated popping noise come through all of the remaining amps/speakers as capacitors in the input stages of the powered down amp charge and discharge!

Keeping it simple, maybe the answer is to reduce the amount of time it takes to change the cables over using a balanced switch?

E.g. http://www.goldpt.com/sw2x.html or https://www.thomann.de/gb/kramer_vs_...reo_switch.htm

Julian
    Last edited by DJ Jules; 23-08-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Fair enough, though I’d have thought if you’re going to the trouble of having back-up for the first dance then it can’t be much more hassle to have back-up for the rest of the night in place as well.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Thanks for the input, guys. Just as well I asked before going ahead with it!

I don't have a clue what i am talking about, but though of this on the way home tonight. Its a stupid question to compliment a stupid question.

If you have 4 XLR's 2 of which are in the main playout and 2 in the backup (and two further XLR's going to the speaker), as long as you are not playing sound though both at the same time then would it not matter as there would be no conflicting frequencies or what ever, or it still be a problem??

Like this for one side

Name:  41C9MAvRcBL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  15.1 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 25-08-2018 at 01:08 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I don't have a clue what i am talking about, but though of this on the way home tonight. Its a stupid question to compliment a stupid question.

If you have 4 XLR's 2 of which are in the main playout and 2 in the backup (and two further XLR's going to the speaker), as long as you are not playing sound though both at the same time then would it not matter as there would be no conflicting frequencies or what ever, or it still be a problem??

Like this for one side
    As explained above , Toby: Depends. Do ya feel lucky?

With some combinations, no probs. With others, disaster. Do ya still feel lucky?

Benny, re your question, and following on from suggestions from Martin, and a discussion with a colleague: Had you opted for a Maui rig, rather than your FBT, it would have been possible to use the mixing facilities on speaker one to accept each controller simultaneously, and feed this out to speaker two.

However, extrapolating the " what if " scenario further, should speaker one fail..............................................
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default one step further

Can I ask a silly question please, sort of related......
    How many active tops can you daisy chain via xlr before losing sound quality or causing any damage ?
    Regards
    always remember, you're unique, just like everyone else......

Simple answer : quite a few.

Be careful of creating ground loops though, especially if speakers you put on the line level chain are powered from different mains wall outlets.

The question here is, why do need to team up stacks of speakers? Wouldn't it be better to acquire or hire something bigger?

See, you can only get so much out of putting speakers next to one another. Especially if they're not the same make & model. Placement becomes an issue.. Put 2 mid/top speakers side by side & you can end up with some parts of the audio spectrum cancelling each other out resulting in a weird, hollow sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    The question here is, why do need to team up stacks of speakers? Wouldn't it be better to acquire or hire something bigger?
    Mayhap he would like to extend the music into an adjacent room or rooms?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk