Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting change

Default Lighting change

Hello,

I'm looking to change my 'party' set up.

Currently using a pair of Chauvet Kinta FX lights on a t-bar, sometimes coupled with a pair of SlimPars, but I'm fed up with the Kinta's, I find them quite dull, boring and quite frankly, irritating.

I'm looking to get something that's easy to set up and easy to use. I used to have a pair of pocket spots that I controlled via DMX but found it to be too much of a faff.

I want something that's bright and punchy.

I've been looking around and found the Gig Bar 2.0, the ADJ Boom Box FX1. Any thoughts on these or recommendations for other lights?

Thanks

I also like the look of the Chauvet FX Par 9.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deanoakley View Post
    I also like the look of the Chauvet FX Par 9.
    You want bright and punchy, you won't go wrong with these.

I use a chauvet wash fx and equinox crossfire xp , both compliment each other.
    always remember, you're unique, just like everyone else......

Quote Originally Posted by mike8863 View Post
    Agreed. I have Hadrons, and Crossfire XPs. A pair each of them on the overhead cope with most functions.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mike8863 View Post
    As do I, plus a couple of Equinox Shards and four Chauvet Freedom Sticks.

My main "go-to" lighting these days consists of a pair of WashFX 2's (gawd they're bright) and a pair of Chauvet Intimiator 305s' (also bright).

If I feel the need to be a bit fancy and use a little eye candy, I have 8 Freedom sticks at my disposal too - but they don't come out that frequently because

a) They're a pain in the backside to put together (it takes time taking the bases on and off) and
    b) They're never straight - it does my head in seeing them all wonky!

Now, let's not go there with the thousands of pounds of lights which never see the light of day in my store at the moment.
    Note to self....must have a clear out sale come January/February when things quieten down a little bit.....

Gigbar 2.0 is my 'go to' light - however you said something bright which it isn't (not a problem for me as I don't want overly powerful lights) and to DMX is quite a challenge (I done it then decided the little remote control that comes with it was all I needed).

I have been looking for a while now for something as simple as the gigbar, but can provide more and haven't had my eyes opened as yet, I am waiting till more lights are developed that can be controlled by an app on my phone - I think this will be the big breakthrough as I find DMX is overly complicated.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Gigbar 2.0 is my 'go to' light - however you said something bright which it isn't (not a problem for me as I don't want overly powerful lights) and to DMX is quite a challenge (I done it then decided the little remote control that comes with it was all I needed).

I have been looking for a while now for something as simple as the gigbar, but can provide more and haven't had my eyes opened as yet, I am waiting till more lights are developed that can be controlled by an app on my phone - I think this will be the big breakthrough as I find DMX is overly complicated.
    Got to admit - as much as the haters will hate.....

I have TWO of the original GigBars. For what they are and in the right venue/party, they just WORK (OK, the lasers have stopped working on mine). DMX'ing them is a real pain (been there, done that, got it to work and thought "what's the point?"). The batteries in the foot pedals and the remotes are dead...when I use them they're in master/slave and I reach up to the menu buttons on the back...job done.

If someone would bring out a GigBar type of fixture that was bright and controllable - I'd be very interested. For instance, how hard would it be for Chauvet to make an all in one bar containing the equivalent of a WashFX2 and an Intimidator 305 roller with all the "gubbins" buried in the top bar like the bits and pieces are for the GigBar? Or even better, a system where the bar will allow plug and play of different compatible fixtures?

As for controlling from a phone app...I'm yet to be convinced.

LightRider are trying...but it seems they have a LOT of issues which need to be resolved at the moment looking around on various groups. I think I'll stick to LightKey on my Mac. It's expensive...but it just WORKS and that's all I ask of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    You're going to have a long wait - all of the app based control systems out there at the moment are either just IR remotes or basically ArtNET to DMX bridges (i.e. they use DMX behind the scenes). Until another industry standard protocol comes out (like DMX or ArtNET), I just can't see it happening. With a backdrop of poor exchange rates, heavy competition between manufacturers and continual focus on keeping fixtures affordable, I can't see manufacturers collaborating on that right now (just look at how many proprietary wireless protocols have sprung up to try and tie DJ's into one brand!)

Personally, I wouldn't trust my lighting control to any device that tries to go to sleep every 30 seconds....

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography