Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Not Another speaker related thread....

Taking delivery of the Maui's later on today.....

Just wondering what levels you run the line input and the volume controls? Just seem to be min -> max, my existing speakers have a 0db which is at 12 o'clock on the inputs. I would like to try and set these up with their optimum levels.

I'll be looking at putting the DXR's into the for sale section if i'm happy with these. No storage space left!

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Taking delivery of the Maui's later on today.....

Just wondering what levels you run the line input and the volume controls? Just seem to be min -> max, my existing speakers have a 0db which is at 12 o'clock on the inputs. I would like to try and set these up with their optimum levels.

I'll be looking at putting the DXR's into the for sale section if i'm happy with these. No storage space left!

Many thanks.
    i run mine at 3o clock both the sub level, main level and channel on the back section. sometimes back the sub level off a bit.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    i run mine at 3o clock both the sub level, main level and channel on the back section. sometimes back the sub level off a bit.
    That's more or less what I do, perhaps rolling the sub bass back to nearer one o'clock for weddings and family parties type gigs.

Cheers Guys, I'll try that. Got a couple of weeks of before I get to try them in a venue.

Well, had 2 gigs back to back this weekend, so decided to use the Maui's for both. Both events were fairly small attendance events, 50ish on the friday, 20ish on the saturday. The PAK 412's would have been for than enough for both of these, but wanted to try out the new Maui's. Both venues have different layouts, roof heights, stage sizes, room sizes etc, so would be a good test.

First impressions, I do like these, look much tidier than tripods. Only slight "initial?" issue I have, is that I find them quite difficult to separate at the end of the night. Assuming they will loosen up a little with use!

Sound quality is great, nice and clear, nice bottom end. Received good comments about them from the landlord at one venue (he runs open mic nights, has the stage pretty much permanently setup, drums kits, stage lighting, control room, etc)

The volume is the interesting one though, on the dance floor they do appear to be a little quieter than I expected, but I don't think they are quieter, if that makes any sense. They seem to be able to spread the sound better.

When standing behind them, working, I did notice my ears suffered more than I would normally find with the DXR's (Ear plugs had more use than normal). Also, due to this increase volume behind, had to tweak the levels on my mics, which worked, they were edging on echo type feedback!

Overall I'm quite impressed with these, hopefully one of my gigs in the near future will have a higher attendance and I can see how they cope with a larger crowd.

Well, had 2 gigs back to back this weekend, so decided to use the Maui's for both. Both events were fairly small attendance events, 50ish on the friday, 20ish on the saturday. The PAK 412's would have been for than enough for both of these, but wanted to try out the new Maui's. Both venues have different layouts, roof heights, stage sizes, room sizes etc, so would be a good test.

First impressions, I do like these, look much tidier than tripods. Only slight "initial?" issue I have, is that I find them quite difficult to separate at the end of the night. Assuming they will loosen up a little with use!

Sound quality is great, nice and clear, nice bottom end. Received good comments about them from the landlord at one venue (he runs open mic nights, has the stage pretty much permanently setup, drums kits, stage lighting, control room, etc)

The volume is the interesting one though, on the dance floor they do appear to be a little quieter than I expected, but I don't think they are quieter, if that makes any sense. They seem to be able to spread the sound better.

When standing behind them, working, I did notice my ears suffered more than I would normally find with the DXR's (Ear plugs had more use than normal). Also, due to this increase volume behind, had to tweak the levels on my mics, which worked, they were edging on echo type feedback!

Overall I'm quite impressed with these, hopefully one of my gigs in the near future will have a higher attendance and I can see how they cope with a larger crowd.
    The bending sound (i.e. lots behind the booth) was the same experience for me, although not as bad as standing between a pair of DXR15's which on occasion used to make my ears physically hurt....even WITH protection.

And you're right, they don't feel as loud on the floor, but the sound reaches further and more evenly somehow. I really must do a side by side with all of my systems and a Db meter at some point to test whether it's a real thing or just an illusion.

It takes a little while to get used to, which is probably one of the reasons I ended up using the Evolve 50s instead (and those things still impress me every time I take them out).

This is all to do with the physics to do with column arrays. A quick google would reveal all.

Can’t remember the exact figures but it goes something like this.

With a single point speaker (your average box) the sound pressure level halves about every 10/15 metres. The typical box speaker has a horizontal dispersion of about 90 degrees.

With a column array the sound pressures halves every 25/30 metres and they typically have a horizontal dispersion of 120-150 degrees. Column arrays are also typically less prone to feedback. This is why they are used in stadium rigs.

So typically you do not have to have the volume so loud on the dancefloor for it still to reach the back of the venue. The wider dispersion also means it sounds louder in the booth.

Looks like I can claim my commission then! You're right, they do get easier to split off at the end of the night, I have exactly the same issue with mine at first, I thought I was going to have to fit them in in one or two pieces!

I've had more favourable comments recently from bands I've worked with, especially regarding the clarity that they produce.

The feeling you get that they are quieter yet louder is interesting in that I though likewise at first. As you know, I'm more that happy with them and what I can do with them.