Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Another speaker related thread....

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Sounds like there are quite a few options out there.

I don't mind using full range tops (weight permitting, the PAK 412's are probably my limit for weight), perhaps a pair of QSC k12.2's could be a direct replacement for the DXR's, but also like the idea of being able to setup quickly without tripods etc.

Even though I do love my DXR's these would go when I decide to make the change.

Matty, I might have to pay you a visit next time you have the Maui 28's out, not heard them in action yet.
    You'll have a bit further to come next time as I parted company with the Holiday Inn in June of this year. I'm now out near Brigg.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'm confused by this - how is the CS1000 a 'step up' from the Evox 8? It's essentially the same system. Same with the Evolve 50.

There's marginal differences between different stick systems with 12" subs - ultimately it comes down to personal preference between those systems.

The Evox 12 I'm yet to be convinced by - it's much heavier, far less portable, and feedback so far is that it's not *that* much louder.

The next real set up is the dB ES1203 - but we're now up to over 30kg in total.
    And that's a brute of a rig. And £2k per side. And I'd never only buy one, for multiple reasons. It's an answer, but well down on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Whilst the Maui 5s are massively impressive for their size, and I'm regularly using them for small gigs in small venues, they aren't a patch on the sound of the Evox 8, and for the larger gigs, the Evox 8 easily outperforms the Maui 5, particularly with its bass punch. I'd be very nervous having them as my only system.
    Have you found the dial marked Sub Level yet? I only once got it above 12 o'clock. The low end response on the 5s was unbelievable, it's at least a match for the 11s.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

OK - waders on......I'll join in (again)

As the owner of both the EV Evolve 50s and the Maui 28 G2's (the big brother of Peter's)....

They BOTH have their applications (which is why I've kept both for the moment).

Maui28's: For their price point are excellent. They blow me away every time I use them. They don't sound loud if that makes sense (and that's probably my biggest problem....it might actually be the hearing aids affecting this though), but they ARE loud (the decibel meter proves this). I regularly have to turn the bass down on them. My big problem is that they also regularly show the red "limit" LED on the display (and I don't DO red lights on speakers!).

Having spoken to a local chap last week who swears by these though....he's ALWAYS running in the red and never had a problem. I might well take them out to my wedding on Friday night and try this to see what happens (with spares in the van just in case). I have to admit - on the few occasions where the red limit light has been on, the sound hasn't degraded at all so maybe it's just an early warning.

EV Evolve 50: THESE are now my weapons of choice. They have the edge over the Maui's (and again...this is down to the hearing aids and I'll explain this.....). Yes, they're expensive at around £1.5k a side, but they're a LOT lighter than the Maui's, have a top carry handle on the subs (that's a BIG plus...you can carry two at a time!),and a LOT quicker to put up/tear down, they don't have the annoying sponge protectors for the connectors and the bags are a damned site better (in fact the bags for the tops are included)

Firstly, they're controllable via the phone (that's a big bonus). But....(and going back to the hearing aids) - I shall try to explain the technology. I have something called a "ComPilot" which is a bluetooth dongle thingy which hangs around my neck on a lanyard (well...it's actually an aerial) and transmits to my hearing aids (if I wanted to, I could plug a jack from the mixer to the ComPilot and cue things up). It talks to the phone (the official use is to listen to MP3 and take phone calls hands free). BUT....the EV app also sends notifications such as clipping/limiting to the phone..which in turn transmits to the ComPilot and in turn makes a noise in my head via the herring aids....I can hear when I'm overdoing things on the PA without having to look at them. In my book....that's bloody clever

Having spoken to the EV rep last week, apparently it's impossible to harm them through overdriving them (the system should protect itself....I'm assuming by cutting out but the conversation didn't get that far due to the fact we were standing next to a set of Dynacord XA2 Pro's in the warehouse doorway going at full tilt ). I'm reluctant to try that on a 3k system though.

The Evolves from personal experience also throw the sound a lot better...and more-so in a marquee than I'd have expected or believed. Rather than throwing it straight ahead as the Maui's do (everything inside the Maui's points to the front), the Evolves are aligned more like a traditional line array in that some of the drivers are angled. This is where (in my mind) the Evolves win it for me.

The big downside on the Evolves apart from the cost is this:
    On the Maui28s, you can put the top-most section straight onto the sub if you've got a low ceiling and they work....and work well.
    With the EV's....that's a separate (and optional) accessory....priced at £99 A SIDE! (and yes, the EV rep well and truly HEARD my gripes about this one for the price of their system at our local DJ meet last week...I'm still awaiting an official response...such as complimentary mini-risers!)

Another thing to note. With the Maui's...you can have a conversation behind them without shouting (the sound dispersal is weird to say the least). With the Evolves....you definitely have to shout! It's more like standing behind a traditional sub/top system in that respect.

They're both very similar systems (as are ALL stick rigs at the end of the day...there's only so much physics will allow) and they both have their own applications.....I'm sold on both.

Now....really must do something with my DXR15's and DXR8/DSR12 combo.......(neither system has been out in ages ).

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Having spoken to a local chap last week who swears by these though....he's ALWAYS running in the red and never had a problem. I might well take them out to my wedding on Friday night and try this to see what happens (with spares in the van just in case). I have to admit - on the few occasions where the red limit light has been on, the sound hasn't degraded at all so maybe it's just an early warning.
    I've been told similar things about my HK Nano system - unless you're running the system with the red light on solid, you're still in Ok-ish territory and it's impossible to actually damage the system by over-driving. Apparently the DSP system is internally preventing speaker damage while maintaining some degree of volume by dynamically compressing (reducing) the frequencies that are clipping. In other words, if you keep pushing, it may not audibly distort like a traditional analogue amp/speaker combo, but it will eventually end up sounding rubbish as some frequencies will be much louder than others that are being limited/compressed. I've been warned about this before with smaller QSC cabs as they fit the same amp/DSP combo in all of them (from 8" up to 15"!) Obviously an 8" driver isn't going to take the same power as a 15" cab so the DSP is programmed with a different profile that limits the output to fit the drivers capabilities, meaning that if you push the same, maximum level signal into an 8" and a 15" QSC cab you'll hear something very different from each as the DSP profiles the frequencies in the signal to make best use of the drivers maximum capabilities.

This stuff used to be simple

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I'm currently pondering changing to a column type system. Here's where I'm at so far:

Fbt Cs1000.. Don't like the sound of them. Mids seem very harsh & the bottoms are heavy. A mate of mine had a pair - one drunk wobbled into a pole & the top's bracket broke clean off. Not for me. Plus if I had a quid for all the people I know who've had fbt speakers explode on them....

Db Es802.. Nice sound, compact & light and within my budget.

Db Es1203.. Love these but I'd want a pair for redundancy & that puts them way out of my budget.

Ld maui 28.. Nice sounding but heavy & out of my budget for a pair.

Ev Evolve 50.. Sod the budget I want these!

Rcf evox 8.... Hmmm. These always sounded a bit 'meh' to me.

My argument against compacts has always been this : for similar money you can buy pretty decent tops & bins that'd blow them away. But for some reason (middle age showing its hand?) I'd rather have something with a smaller, lighter footprint. I'm sick to death of putting tops on tripods now & while gravity poles & bases seem like a more aesthetic solution.. Nah.

So what about a 2.1 system like an HK Lucas / Nano or LD Dave? They sound lovely but I'd worry about the 'all your eggs in one basket' aspect (same reason I'd want a pair of Es1203).

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Fbt Cs1000.. Don't like the sound of them. Mids seem very harsh & the bottoms are heavy. A mate of mine had a pair - one drunk wobbled into a pole & the top's bracket broke clean off. Not for me. Plus if I had a quid for all the people I know who've had fbt speakers explode on them....

Sounds like somebody needs to change the presets on the back of the system.

My current go to speakers are the Evox 8 and never ‘really’ had a situation where they wouldn’t cope. On the odd occasion I have added a sub under my booth too, but could have done without if necessary.

FBT Vertus - I also own the Vertus (CLA original vertus). Now to me these do sound a lot better, bass is phenomenal for the size, little harsh maybe when using a mic. Rarely take these out because compared to the Evox they just aren’t convenient. Seems a challenge to simply get all the bits inside and with they had iec sockets.

FBT CS1000 – Don’t rate these at all. I think FBT have really tried to look at the costs of the product and produced this, very disappointing I think and know a lot of people who have had major problems with them,

DB ES1203 – If I was a one speaker DJ this would be my choice without hesitation. However I just don’t have the confidence to use one speaker (apart from the odd occasion). 2 of these work out a bit pricey and they are heavy.

EV Evolve 50 – If the white model was a bit more white there would have been a pair sitting in my unit. Don’t think it is worth changing the Evox for them but if I was looking for my first stick speaker system it would be between these and the Evox

Another option which I really like (but again convenience takes over) is the RCF 702-as and 712a combination. I am a RCF fan admittedly and other similar combinations are out there, but this sounds fantastic although, to me, not as aesthetically pleasing as the stick speakers out there - the 'look' is my main priority.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

From what I've read, I'm guessing its between to EVOX 8 (J8?) & the Evolve 50's

Are the 50's worth the £1k increase over the EVOX?

What ever option I do go for, I'll have to sell the DXR's to help with the investment. (Anybody want to purchase a pair )

The eternal compromise between looks/weight and performance. There will never be a rig which can cope with all mobile gigs. The 1203 was probably conceived as that holy grail.

To address Justin's quandary, consider Maui11s. A whisker quieter than an 802, but cheaper too. Not as convenient if you get the older Mix from Thomann,like I have. The tops are a single unit. The G2 would be an almost exact comparison.

For anyone else considering which way to jump, consider 12" subs with 8" or 10" tops. It's a good compromise between portability and performance.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    From what I've read, I'm guessing its between to EVOX 8 (J8?) & the Evolve 50's

Are the 50's worth the £1k increase over the EVOX?
    I've only used the Evox 8 - I'd be cautious of the J8, being the budget version.

Ultimately, it's time to go and have a listen yourself.

Most of these rigs are fairly similar - what some people love, others hate.

At this stage, it's really down to personal opinion. I doubt there's a huge difference in capability of those 2 systems - so go and listen to them to determine the one you prefer. That way you'll know if there's a £1k benefit to the Evolve 50s...