Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Another speaker related thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The eternal compromise between looks/weight and performance. There will never be a rig which can cope with all mobile gigs. The 1203 was probably conceived as that holy grail.

To address Justin's quandary, consider Maui11s. A whisker quieter than an 802, but cheaper too. Not as convenient if you get the older Mix from Thomann,like I have. The tops are a single unit. The G2 would be an almost exact comparison.

For anyone else considering which way to jump, consider 12" subs with 8" or 10" tops. It's a good compromise between portability and performance.
    I don't use Thomann anymore. Everything I've ever had from them arrives looking like it fell out of a plane without a parachute. I've never blamed thomann for this - I always suspected it's been the final UK courier's fault.

What the es802 has going for it is the fact I can adorn the poles with pretty lights. That and it'll leave sufficient funds available to extend my kit again with tops & bins next year. The evolves are nice but by the time I bought covers I'd be 500 quid over budget. If the 802s need extra welly I've got a 15' bin I can employ. My trusty (and still not too shabby) altos will be kept on as spares.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Most of these rigs are fairly similar - what some people love, others hate.

At this stage, it's really down to personal opinion. I doubt there's a huge difference in capability of those 2 systems - so go and listen to them to determine the one you prefer. That way you'll know if there's a £1k benefit to the Evolve 50s...
    And that's the crux of the matter.

I'd venture to suggest that the difference between the two isn't necessarily measured in quality, but volume. Haven't done the sums, but surely the Maui 28s are contenders in that sort of rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

What the es802 has going for it is the fact I can adorn the poles with pretty lights.
    And for me, that's a reason to disqualify it. Poles. If you're using poles, you might as well have subs and tops.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've only used the Evox 8 - I'd be cautious of the J8, being the budget version.
    I tried a pair of the J8's. For the price they are good BUT not a patch on the normal Evox 8. The biggest drawback for me is I was deafened standing behind my booth.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I've an acquaintance offering me a good discount on the CS1000 (No idea what the discount/price is yet)

Anyone have any opinions on these for suitability, quality , etc?

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    I've an acquaintance offering me a good discount on the CS1000 (No idea what the discount/price is yet)

Hearing a lot of reports on failures, major ones.
    Sound quality etc I find poor too.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

It's really time to start listening to these systems yourself now.

Only then will you know what each system is 'worth' to you.

Don't get excited by discounts - go and buy the RIGHT system.

Get it right, and you'll get 5 years of usage out of it, without wanting to change the system.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    And after lots of comparative and in depth testing and auditioning, young Benny plumped for this one.

It's really time to start listening to these systems yourself now.

Only then will you know what each system is 'worth' to you.

Don't get excited by discounts - go and buy the RIGHT system.

Get it right, and you'll get 5 years of usage out of it, without wanting to change the system.
    Wise words, especially the bold bits. If you can't hear them in dealers' shops, plenty of us are willing to demo what we've got.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Put it this way, I've seen a lot of opinions from folk who don't own them. As far as I am aware, I am the only regular poster on this forum who does.

They sound good to me (As a compromise to my RCF 905/712 setup) and have not given me any problems. 'Reliable AF' springs to mind.

For my bread and butter, it's the CS1000. For more Oomph, it's the RCF combination.

Personally I'm of the opinion that folk punch these stick systems above their weight class and they run into problems when driven too hard. As soon as numbers go past 100, the RCFs go out. I'm sure the CS1000 could cope with more, but then mine are still going strong 18 months on because I'm not under the delusion that these systems can stretch to 200. It's a fantasy.

Totally agree about listening to them first, and not just listen, feel how they handle weight wise, moving around, setting up.....

But, here I'm interested in real life experiences, what they are like when used for an actual gig, what feedback (if any) punters have given regarding bass, sounds quality, throw etc, rather than what they sound like in a showroom to me. Will they cope with 120-150 people, would I be better swapping the DXR's for something else such as QSC K10's + sub, or a pair of K12's, instead of a 'compact' system etc.

I know everyone has a different opinion on speakers, and I'm looking at getting a short list of capable units.

OK so last night I got to hear the Evolve 50s for the first time - at an event I was at.

Now a slight caveat: there were 4 x Evolve 50s in total. 2 either side of the front, and 2 either side half way up.

But let's bear in mind this was a large room that was 60' wide and 74' deep, holding 300 people sat down at banquet tables...

But wow - I was seriously impressed. When the disco turned them up at the end of the meal, I was just amazed at the volume that came out of them.

From a distance I assumed they were Evox 12 - they certainly seem to have a much chunkier array than the Evox 8.

Would I buy them? To be honest, the fixed height of the speakers is the one thing that puts me off them. I like that I can have the Evox 8 low in a marquee with a low ceiling - or up high in a larger room where I need the sound to go over the top of heads.

But I can certainly see how Wayne manages to get the volume out of them he has claimed.