Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Not Another speaker related thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Interesting. I thought normally folk were adding subs to these rigs, for extra output?

Nevertheless, if that's what you feel you need, then one of those ought to suit admirably, on those figures. I'm doing the sums on a stinger sub and a pair of those. Sadly, I've run out of fingers and funds far too early. Shame, cos it looks like a nice rig, on paper.
    I've got another pair of 12" subs but to my ear the Evox 8 subs perform beyond their tops , you can get those LD tops active or passive so you could power the passives with suitable subs that power tops such as the evox.

Default Bring out your slightly off colour bodies!!

Don't know what young Justin and/or Edward did or didn't end up with, but here's my tale. Coffee and biccies at the ready? Then I'll begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The eternal compromise between looks/weight and performance. There will never be a rig which can cope with all mobile gigs. The 1203 was probably conceived as that holy grail.

For anyone else considering which way to jump, consider 12" subs with 8" or 10" tops. It's a good compromise between portability and performance.
    Mr Neen was wanting to shift some Db612 subs at an advantageous price. I'd heard the 615, and it impressed me mightily. Cue filling up the van with diesel, and heading North, with a selection of my cabs in the back. I'd purchased some Yamaha DBR10s s/h the night before, and expected to be using these over the Db's, but if I didn't like them, Andy was happy to have them for hire stock. A no lose situation for both.
    First up over the Db's was a left field contender, the FBT J8. Blimey, but it's a fine speaker, and sounds a lot bigger. Very impressive, but a tad expensive, and would be unlikely to do small gigs on their own.

Next up, another left field, The passive Bishop Sound Gamma 10. Valiant effort, but not quite there. Having said that, I know someone who is using them and loves them to bits. He used them on their own recently, and was happy with how they coped.

My Dragon Spirit 8s were next, and they're very, very nice, but again, not big enough to cope on their own. They will come in for plenty of other jobs though, and were peanuts s/h, so no problem.

Then, the Yamahas. Disappointed. I think it's cos I expected more, but these are the entry level cabs, and I was used to the top of the range ones when I've used Dave Jackson's kit. Andy said that when he had time for a longer play with them the next day, he got them a lot better, and he was happy with them for his needs.

The more astute of you will realise that I didn't take the Yamahas home with me. Why? Well, dejectedly, I plugged my 12" LD stinger in to one sub, and wow! What a sound! At that point, I decided that this rig was perfect for anything except upstairs, cos the Stingers are awkward to carry. The great beauty of the Db subs is the top handle, and I was looking for 10" plastic cabs with the same feature. I used the subs with the Stingers soon afterwards, and loved the sound, although aesthetically, the tops look a little amiss over the small subs.

So, I decided to stick for the time being, and see what came up.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I paired up the evox subs with some 710a tops, they sounded great but a bit pointless doing so to be honest as takes away what the purpose of the Evox.
    Funny you should mention Rcf, Chris.
    Ebay threw up a pair of Rcf 410a cabs close to me, at a very good price. Jeanette came for a ride out, and we heard them running when we arrived. The seller was a lovely bloke, live artist, and was upgrading to a Bose stick rig. We had a long chat about these, and he was keen to hear what I had to say about my experiences with similar ones. I thrust a small pile of notes into his hand, and left with a big grin on my face. The Rcfs were a perfect match for the subs, and although they had no covers, were in good order. I was a happy bunny, as even after ordering some Hot Covers for them, I was on budget, with some lovely sounding cabs. They don't have the connectivity of Yamahas, but sounded far better in my opinion.

Off I went to a local village hall where to be honest, the Mauis would have been better suited, but I was sure as hell using the full new rig. Got it all set up, and it it sounded lovely. I said as much on Facebook.
    Big mistake. One of the Rcfs suddenly started making a horrible noise. Turning the gain down made no difference, it was screeching away regardless. I unplugged, it, tried again, and it eventually resumed normal service.
    For a minute, until it once again went critical!. Oh crap! Fortunately, as part of my deal with Andy, I'd got a very well used pair of old Alto 10" tops, and with an adaptor fitted, it was a very good substitute, finishing the night with no issues at all.

But what to do next? A new amp module for the 410 was nearly as much as I'd paid for the pair of cabs, and what if the second one did the same thing? More expense, and still a pair of very old cabs. ( The lad at Ampman remarked on their age, when asked for the details, so they're not in the first flush of youth, obviously. ) Regular conversations took place between Andy and me, as to the best course of action, and believe me, every possible option was considered at some point. Eventually, I snapped, and made a dawn raid on the piggy bank!

Gear4music is near me, and once again, Jeanette came with me, as it's also close to her favourite shopping centre. I mistakenly thought that they had Yamaha and Rcf in stock, but it turns out that they're a Europe wide concern, and five in stock can mean none in York, but lots in Germany and Sweden! The young lady on the desk showing how you can work it out on the website didn't help my blood pressure a lot, as I'd been planning to really thrash Yamaha and Rcf side by side in a shoot out. Nevertheless, it was possible to run my aged 410a against a brand new 710a, which was in York, which would not only be useful sound wise, but I could see if my covers fitted both cabs.

Well, the enclosures are identical, and once we'd got sound into both cabs, I was amazed. My 410 might have been like me, old and well worn, but amazingly, it was a match for the new 710, audio wise. I could hardly believe it. I expected a big difference, and honestly, the 410 sounded smoother to me. If the badges weren't so different, I may have cracked, and just bought one 710, but I ordered the second one to follow, and left the shop carrying the one I'd been playing with.

So, I've gone berserk, and spent a lot of money on a new PA. It was commissioned with one particular venue in mind, where the Mauis aren't big enough, and the Proels on tripods aren't perfect. This rig should go upstairs nicely ( the lift helps a lot ) and have plenty of sound. I can run it with two subs or one, and I've got another venue in mind where the Rcfs will be solo, so it should be versatile. It's going out tonight, I'll report when I can.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Young Justin, Peter.. borrowed some RCF HD12A a few weeks ago & the very next morning had ordered a pair of his very own. And he's very very happy with them.

The only problem is, the old dB bass bin he used use, just can't even dream of keeping up so now he needs a behemoth of a subwoofer. Oh very dear

I used RCF HD12’s for 3 years, loved them. Sad to see them go.

The more I read of these conundrums and various systems, the more grateful I am of my sole Evox 8 setup.

That's it, one system.

Anything larger than 150 people I don't take on.

I'm sure in the long term it's saved me lots of money!

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I used RCF HD12’s for 3 years, loved them. Sad to see them go.
    I'm not sure what rev the ones I borrowed are, but literally every track I played that night wowed me with clarity I'd never heard. Details in the highs & low end that were previously hidden in budget speaker mush. All that & I never had to touch the EQ on my controller all night to deal with harshness.

I ordered my mk4 hd12as on a Sunday morning. Monday night I had both on stands in my lounge putting them through their paces. It was a revelation to me. After a while I thought "okay. Let's see what they can really do. Where is the limiting point...?". Pushing +15 out of my controller, with the HD's input level maxed out.. Nope. I could hear some dynamic compression I thought.. OK right.. Press in the contour switch.. Aha! Limiting achieved I didn't keep them like that for very long.

I tested tracks I play regularly & stuff I actually like & heard parts I've never noticed even after hundreds of plays.

My ongoing plan is to get a nice new bin or bins that'll keep up with the new tops. Tripods will be replaced by gravity stands before the summer.

Why didn't I go compact? Too many compromises at too high a cost. They have their lovers & I ain't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    The more I read of these conundrums and various systems, the more grateful I am of my sole Evox 8 setup.

That's it, one system. !
    That’s what I use now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I'm not sure what rev the ones I borrowed are, but literally every track I played that night wowed me with clarity I'd never heard. Details in the highs & low end that were previously hidden in budget speaker mush. All that & I never had to touch the EQ on my controller all night to deal with harshness.

My ongoing plan is to get a nice new bin or bins that'll keep up with the new tops. Tripods will be replaced by gravity stands before the summer.

Why didn't I go compact? Too many compromises at too high a cost. They have their lovers & I ain't one of them.
    When I purchased the Evox 8, I listened to a lot of systems at RSD Music. Hearing systems side by side, you could easily hear the difference.

For me, the Evox 8 won out for portability.

But the RCF HD12's were definitely in a class of their own. They were the only speakers that 'sparkled' without sounding harsh.

I knew that with one of the top end RCF 15" or 18" subs, I've have an incredible system. Would have probably gone for the 15" for the punch rather than the chest beating you get from the 18" (for the wedding crowd).

The only reason I didn't go down that route was purely down to portability. But definitely makes an incredible system.

It was actually the look of the hd12a that won me over too. I've heard a lot of rcf tops over the years & never found the noise they made objectionable.. But the 3 series just look eew. And the 7xx series look like they're making a statement. Which isn't what I like.

I was expecting a big improvement from my trusty crusty old TS115As but oh my god...

In all the side by side speaker tests I've been witness to or even part of, there never seemed to be that big a difference between cabs. Yeah that one has nicer bass, clearer treble or maybe this one is louder but they were all much of a muchness. The real difference between price ranges IMHO is this : cheaper cabs can't keep the same sound over the whole output range for long. At background levels my old Altos sound more than ok. Press into them a bit & the sound disintegrates before your very ears.

I could've auditioned cabs til I was blue in the face but try finding a dealer round here with QSC, RCF, EV, FBT & yamaha in stock in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I could've auditioned cabs til I was blue in the face but try finding a dealer round here with QSC, RCF, EV, FBT & yamaha in stock in the same place.
    Our lovely local dealers are slowly catching on to this (seriously, after how many years of complaining about people not valuing them?) and now have an array of popular systems to test (usually the EVOX 8, CS1000, VN2000 and a couple of Yamaha options). Other than that we're lucky to have a branch of the (poorly named) PMT in Bristol who usually have at least four brands on demo and a good number in stock.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography