Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Not Another speaker related thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Young Justin, Peter.. borrowed some RCF HD12A a few weeks ago & the very next morning had ordered a pair of his very own. And he's very very happy with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I used RCF HD12’s for 3 years, loved them. Sad to see them go.
    And guess what Mr Neen has just been asked to mend as a matter of urgency? And guess how much the amp module costs? Makes the 410 look positively good value!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    The more I read of these conundrums and various systems, the more grateful I am of my sole Evox 8 setup.

That's it, one system.

Anything larger than 150 people I don't take on.

I'm sure in the long term it's saved me lots of money!
    It's one way of coping with the problem. As to its fiscal efficiency, well I couldn't possibly comment. As to your sole system, you're fibbing. You forgot the esteemed Maui 5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

Why didn't I go compact? Too many compromises at too high a cost. They have their lovers & I ain't one of them.
    Compromises? No. Just don't expect a true " stick rig " to cope with every gig. The Evolve 50 and Db 1203 will do almost any gig, but they're not really stick rigs. Not even close. They're virtually subs and tops. When I bought ( was sold? ) the Maui 5s, I had no reason/intention to buy them. Having used them, I would never consider not owning a stick rig of some flavour. ( And I've said it before, the difference between the least and the greatest isn't vast. They're all good. ) They're just so perfect for small, intimate gigs, with limited space, and they're sooo damned sexy.

Re your sub, see if Andy still has that Db 615. That should suit you nicely.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Valid and valuable posts generated here about work ( or the lack of it ) prices, and business policies are now living here, in a purpose built home. Pop in for a cuppa and add your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And guess what Mr Neen has just been asked to mend as a matter of urgency? And guess how much the amp module costs? Makes the 410 look positively good value!!!

It's one way of coping with the problem. As to its fiscal efficiency, well I couldn't possibly comment. As to your sole system, you're fibbing. You forgot the esteemed Maui 5s.

Compromises? No. Just don't expect a true " stick rig " to cope with every gig. The Evolve 50 and Db 1203 will do almost any gig, but they're not really stick rigs. Not even close. They're virtually subs and tops. When I bought ( was sold? ) the Maui 5s, I had no reason/intention to buy them. Having used them, I would never consider not owning a stick rig of some flavour. ( And I've said it before, the difference between the least and the greatest isn't vast. They're all good. ) They're just so perfect for small, intimate gigs, with limited space, and they're sooo damned sexy.

Re your sub, see if Andy still has that Db 615. That should suit you nicely.
    I'm not sure a 615 would do much more than provide extra barracading like my old bin. I'm going to have a lend of a sub15h before too long & see if that will keep up. Failing that, it might be time to hunt down a 905as mk2 or 2. I'm not sure I want to commit myself that much.

Maybe I'm approaching this wrong. I seem to remember having thoughts about keeping the hd12a for general gigs then for when I need more welly in the bottom end go with 10 tops with 12 or 15 bins. On the basis of enjoying the hd12a so much maybe a pair of Hd10...

Mind you I'm completely out of spare budget now

After plenty of pondering, and trying not to spend money I don't have, I've finally decided on what to go for.....

This is mainly thanks to MattyDJ50, who I was sharing a venue with on Saturday.

Matthew was running the Maui 28 G2, I was rather impressed with those stick, clear great sound, nice bass,loud enough, portable enough, look good, easy to setup.....

I've almost enough funds to buy a pair of these to replace my trusty DXR15's (which I still love, and are mint).

There is a place local to me selling these at £750 a side, which is the best I've seen so far.

Just wondering in anyone knows of any other shop(s) worth trying, ideally who would take my DXR's off my hand in a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    After plenty of pondering, and trying not to spend money I don't have, I've finally decided on what to go for.....

This is mainly thanks to MattyDJ50, who I was sharing a venue with on Saturday.

Matthew was running the Maui 28 G2, I was rather impressed with those stick, clear great sound, nice bass,loud enough, portable enough, look good, easy to setup.....

I've almost enough funds to buy a pair of these to replace my trusty DXR15's (which I still love, and are mint).

There is a place local to me selling these at £750 a side, which is the best I've seen so far.

Just wondering in anyone knows of any other shop(s) worth trying, ideally who would take my DXR's off my hand in a deal?
    I think the Maui 28/Evolve 50 and the rest are just about the boundary between discreet rigs capable of doing over 75% of average gigs easily, and full on subs and tops. Although it's a six and two threes, on balance the mix'n'match aspect of my RCF/Db rig wins for me. Almost an identical price to the Mauis, and technically, mine's easier to carry as the subs have top handles. I can carry both at once. Maui made a huge error not putting a rear top handle on the 28s.

Edward, I think you'll love the Mauis, I'll keep an ear to the ground for new homes for the Yamahas.

I think the Maui 28/Evolve 50 and the rest are just about the boundary between discreet rigs capable of doing over 75% of average gigs easily, and full on subs and tops. Although it's a six and two threes, on balance the mix'n'match aspect of my RCF/Db rig wins for me. Almost an identical price to the Mauis, and technically, mine's easier to carry as the subs have top handles. I can carry both at once. Maui made a huge error not putting a rear top handle on the 28s.

Edward, I think you'll love the Mauis, I'll keep an ear to the ground for new homes for the Yamahas.
    Cheers Peter.

There is only one venue where I'll currently have issues with the Maui (I think)

The venue is a at a football stadium, and hence has long rectangular rooms. I'm usually in the middle speakers pointing across the room (towards the pitch), with the dance floor to the front, and tables are placed to my left and right.
    I've worked with up to 350 people in here using the DXR's.

As you know, we usually play to the floor, which is not an issue, the issue I see is probably providing background music during meals. For this,I have my DXR's nice and high, and swing them to point towards the tables. Works a treat.

I "guess", that when using the Maui's I might have to put a satellite speaker either side to fill in for the BGM (Which I can do if needed).

But for 90%+ of my gigs I see these being fine. And for the small gigs I could use one, mind you, I like my setup to mirror

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Cheers Peter.

There is only one venue where I'll currently have issues with the Maui (I think)

The venue is a at a football stadium, and hence has long rectangular rooms. I'm usually in the middle speakers pointing across the room (towards the pitch), with the dance floor to the front, and tables are placed to my left and right.
    I've worked with up to 350 people in here using the DXR's.

As you know, we usually play to the floor, which is not an issue, the issue I see is probably providing background music during meals. For this,I have my DXR's nice and high, and swing them to point towards the tables. Works a treat.

I "guess", that when using the Maui's I might have to put a satellite speaker either side to fill in for the BGM (Which I can do if needed).

But for 90%+ of my gigs I see these being fine. And for the small gigs I could use one, mind you, I like my setup to mirror

Agree with all of that. You may yet find that the Mauis have a greater dispersal than you expect; and may cope on their own. Might. May.

Agree with all of that. You may yet find that the Mauis have a greater dispersal than you expect; and may cope on their own. Might. May.
    I'll actually second that as an owner of both Maui28s AND DXR15s. The Maui's actually spread and reach a lot further than you'd expect. If anything, I'd be inclined to angle them towards the tables whilst they're having the background music, and then back towards the floor when they start dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I'll actually second that as an owner of both Maui28s AND DXR15s. The Maui's actually spread and reach a lot further than you'd expect. If anything, I'd be inclined to angle them towards the tables whilst they're having the background music, and then back towards the floor when they start dancing.
    Yes, I have done that on a few occasions where I have been set up on the "long side" of the rectangle, with a shorter throw to the back wall and a longer, wide throw to the sides. My Maui 28's so far have coped well with what has been thrown at them. Recently a Prom for 254 screaming 16 year olds forced them very occasionally to flick into the red zone, but nothing that a quick twiddle couldn't resolve.

The Bluetooth facility has been used on two occasions too to play sound from a laptop during a video presentation where cabling was a problem.

Glad you liked the sound Edward, there was plenty left in the tank too. And thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    And thank you for your help.
    Glad I could help, any time I'm not working, you know who to call....

Anyway, took the plunge, ordered the Maui 28's today (with bags).

Delivery for Monday all being well, Looking forward to having a play.

Need to sell the DXR's next to make some space. (Nowhere to store the maui's yet).