Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the latest DJ dress code for weddings ?

Default What is the latest DJ dress code for weddings ?

I know this has been done before, but what are DJs wearing nowadays to weddings.

A number of years ago dinner suits were all the trend, then a normal suit and tie, shirt and tie etc.

For the past 18 months I have actually been wearing dark jeans and logo polo shirt. Now to me this is perfect as I feel so much comfortable wearing this as opposed to a suit (suit still for all-dayers).

However, I used to get quite a few comments about how smart the DJ looked, now I only get the odd one here and there although never had anyone comment that I was under dressed.

I think the Dinner Suit thing came about when the industry 'gurus' started to preach their knowledge which I think has been found to largely be a load of rubbish, however is it what people wear still ?

It is quite hard to find out as I never see another DJ working lol
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I started off wearing a nice suit. I got asked if I was a doorman a few times. I also felt uncomfortable and over dressed.
    Then I started wearing a nice shirt, smart jeans and shoes. I felt much more comfortable, and smarter. I'd always ask the Bride & Groom in the pre-wedding meetings what their colour scheme was and I'd wear a tie that matched their colour scheme. It would get taken off after the first dance and cake cutting. I stopped doing that eventually and went for smart jeans, shoes and a good shirt. I didn't feel the need to wear branded stuff. It just wasn't my cup of tea, but nothing against those that go that way.

I've said it a number of times, but I do think that first impressions count. I've been a victim of people getting the wrong idea about me countless times.
    I've always had lots of tattoos and I keep them covered when I am doing gigs that aren't for friends etc.... I know the whole tattoos and beard thing is the 'in thing' these days, so I guess I also cover up because I don't want to be just another one copying everybody else.

At the end of the day, the simple thing is.....if YOU feel smart (and more importantly, comfortable), then that would be ok with me.
    I used to go to my pre-gig meetings dressed how I would dress at a wedding. At some point in the conversation I would bring up the dress code and 99.9% of the time, they would say that they weren't bothered what I wore. On one occasion, at a very expensive wedding I did in a very nice mansion house for a couple that were from London and involved with television, the Bride & Groom told me to get my tattoos out. They both had loads themselves and wanted a nice vibe, and I think they thought it would look good having a DJ that was on their level, and not dressed like a nightclub bouncer or bingo caller.

I started off wearing the full suit until I went to a client meeting and they asked me if I'd just knocked off my work (sidenote - I'm a teacher and don't even wear a full suit at work...)

Then I wore trousers, a black shirt and my (tm) sparkly purple tie (not as tacky as it sounds. I got a few - can you clear this table place comments so decided I looked too much like the venue staff.

I bought this for going to Vegas last new year - wore it to an Xmas party night as I thought it would be a good ice breaker as I'd get hassled for it but just about everybody seems to love it so I've been wearing it at gigs ever since:

Name:  suit.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  69.3 KB

I wear dressy black skechers - they look quite utilitarian but my feet, back and posture are more important than what people think of my footwear at a gig.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I know the whole tattoos and beard thing is the 'in thing' these days, so I guess I also cover up because I don't want to be just another one copying everybody else.
    Oh it's on now!

I wear a Logo'd polo, smart jeans and work boots. I also have a branded jacket (the branding on the jacket is much more subtle than on the polo, so great for walking around the venue to say hello to staff before the night kicks off.

I set up over the summer in shorts (side note: RIP summer 2018 - you were epic!) and changed into jeans afterwards. For the most part nobody saw me but if I ever saw the B&G, I made a joke about how these sexy legs are not part of the service and they will be hidden away when we start things off properly. They all commented about how they didn't even notice.

I'd never DJ in shorts, but take from that what you will.

I'm not about to get inked & grow a beard to fit in with my avatar (ideal customer not forum picture) so I just dress comfortably. I started off wearing a 3 piece suit to weddings (I'd never go full on DJ unless I knew it was a black tie do, and even then I'd have reservations). It was often too hot, so eventually the jacket disappeared leaving me with just a nice shirt, waistcoat & trousers. Even then I felt overdressed at some weddings...

So then I got myself branded polo & smart shirts. For weddings I wear either a branded black or plain white shirt with no waistcoat with black trousers. I'm rethinking this because black anything for setting up in, is a mistake.

So what's the 'official' dress code these days ? No idea. The last dj I saw at a wedding was in a stained shirt & scruffy jeans. That was the last time I ever got him to cover for me.. He looked like Onslow from Keeping Up Appearances lol.

Be as smart as you feel. Ask your customers whether or not they're fussed if it's a concern.

There is no 'standard' dress code.

I suggest that each DJ has a dress code they feel comfortable with, and works for their ideal customer.

If you're DJ'ing high end formal weddings in exclusive and luxurious venues, then the black tie suit might work nicely.

My personal choice is suit trousers, with a nice shirt (not a normal shirt, but one that looks smart yet fashionable). Sometimes I wear a suit jacket (usually during the winter).

I like to look smart, yet not blend in and look like a guest!

I won't ever wear jeans when DJ'ing - regardless of how smart they are. Not even for Christmas parties.

Ultimately, find a style and be consistent with it - and make sure the style you wear fits the marketing you execute and the style of customer you are aiming to attract.

Name:  Gavin Harris 1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0024.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  60.6 KB
    I have two outfits I wear, my blue suit with white branded shirt or a grey suit with black branded shirt. I don't wear the jacket, just the waist coat and do tend to ditch this later on.
    For non weddings Branded Nylon Polo and dark trousers or jeans.

I try not to dress sharper than the groom.

PS dont do ties unless its stated as a requirement ie Black Tie
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

I'd never DJ in shorts, but take from that what you will.
    I'd take from it that you're a callow youth. You name it, I've worn it!! ( Almost. )

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

Be as smart as you feel. Ask your customers whether or not they're fussed if it's a concern.
    It's in my quote. The odd one says dress casual, no need for a suit.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    There is no 'standard' dress code.

I suggest that each DJ has a dress code they feel comfortable with, and works for their ideal customer.
    Funnily enough, I feel most comfortable at weddings in a suit and tie. Appropriate and acceptable for most weddings. Saying that, I've had a few this year where they married abroad/elsewhere/earlier, and wanted a very informal party. For these, I didn't even wear a tie!

I can remember when DJs wore a suit and dress shirt at every function. ( Sigh) I miss those days.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Ask your customers whether or not they're fussed if it's a concern.
    That is the thing, 99.9% aren't fussed. I think I have been asked twice what I will be wearing as they would prefer a suit.

I like the branded polo shirt as being multi-op can ensure everyone dresses similarly and I replace the polo shirts often so don't have the grey washed out look I have seen before.

It is just I often got comments about how smart the DJ looked, but rarely do now - however what people do notice and appreciate is changing dramatically over the past couple of years.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I've completely changed my dress-code over the past year

I used to rock up in a full suit, waistcoat, formal shirt...you get the idea. I looked like a guest. As already mentioned....suggested by the "guru's".

And then it hit me, not one other supplier was dressed in this way.....nowhere near. Did they get any less thought of them? NOPE!

This year I've seen Togs in shorts and scruffy t-shirts, venue staff in logo'd polos, photo booth staff in jeans and t-shirts....you name it. In fact the only other people I've seen dressed up this year are Toastmasters.....and they're supposed to look that way.

So, it's now smart trousers (normally those from the suit) and a logo'd formal shirt. Very rarely a tie....I HATE having those things around my neck.

It's comfortable to work in, still looks smart and doesn't make me look like a guest (which at the end of the day....I'm not). I do that for the all-dayer's as well (OK - I wear a tie for ceremony stuff).

Nobody's complained yet, and in fact when I mentioned to one customer that I felt underdressed (it was a black tie 50th and I hadn't been told it was black tie so didn't have said outfit in the van), she simply remarked about the fact that I wasn't a guest and didn't expect me to be dressed as such.

So, no formal wear as such for me.....I'm the entertainment not the waiting staff or a guest. I'm even starting to change my website imagery to remove the photos of me wearing things like ties.....because that's not the image I want to project anymore.