Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the latest DJ dress code for weddings ?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Indeed I could grow a long 'tramp' beard,
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If Toby had started shaving yet,and could grow a beard
    I hate it when it gets to a few days, but I guess its not too bad after a few weeks. Not for me though.
    Last edited by yourdj; 23-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    What you don't see in that pic is the smart jeans and brown/white Vans. So not quite a clone.

Plus, the beard and sleeve makes me considerably more hipster than Toby.
    White Vans man?

I got told off last night by an old git who shall remain nameless for not wearing a tie.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    I got told off last night by an old git who shall remain nameless for not wearing a tie.
    Welcome to the revolution Brother Matty, we have ties, jackets, suits, erm......

I have to admit - it's very rare now for me to wear a tie. I find them uncomfortable and restrictive to work in (I have a fat neck and prefer my collar button to be undone).

Don't get me wrong, I carry a rainbow selection of different neck-wear in the van just in case it's insisted on. This year at least though, I think I've only worn one the once (and that came off after the first dance)
    Last edited by Imagine; 23-09-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    White Vans man?

I generally always wear a tie for the ceremony and up until the wedding breakfast when wearing any suit, but tend to always wear one with a waistcoat. I got told off many years ago by my wedding manager (my wise teacher of formality) at my residency. Her words were "its fine for the evening but far too casual for the ceremony". she is in her late 50's, but she is in my opinion correct (at this specific venue). I tend to get used to it after its on as i buy shirts that slightly larger neck width.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I was always likewize with the jacket. It stayed on until the dancing started and I was behind the decks at which point it would come off.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Looks like I'm the only one who still asks the client how they would prefer me to be dressed?

Came a cropper with that 2 years ago when the groom & I turned up in identical tweed (although on mine the waistcoat had lapels & a velvet collar & his didn't). He thought it was hilarious though & said it showed we both had excellent taste.

When they have no preference I tend to go smart casual (which I've always considered a bit of an oxymoron) erring very much on the side of smart, as I've gone a bit "Gentleman's Gazette" (Google it) of late.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Looks like I'm the only one who still asks the client how they would prefer me to be dressed?
    Eh? I beg your pardon!!
    Granted, I don't turn up looking like HG Wells, Sherlock Holmes, or Henry Morton Stanley, but I would like to draw the Honourable Member's attention to the salient lines from the purple prose sent to each and every one of my customers.

"I will dress in keeping with the dress code for the function ( I’m happy to work in fancy dress also, if the function is themed ) whether that be smart casual, shirt and tie, or suit and tie. Again, you can specify whatever you wish, you’re in charge".

The sartorial default setting for weddings is a suit ( if time and circumstances allow ). The minimum standard is shiny shoes, smart trousers, and a tie. ( Worn round the neck as per its intended use, not the forehead. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The minimum standard is shiny shoes, smart trousers, and a tie. ( Worn round the neck as per its intended use, not the forehead. )
    Get with the times, old timer!

I've got a wedding at the start of November where the neck tie being suitably worn around the forehead is most DEFINITELY going to be the order of the evening! (really looking forward to it but history and previous expectations dictate it'll be a poor showing....time will tell!)

Shiny trousers and smart shoes....nah! They won't see them in that place

I always arrive in my black polo T-shirt that has my logo on it, so everyone knows who I am and I'll keep that on until I have unloaded and setup.
    Once everything's ready to roll it's on with a fance white shirt, got to look smart as I am the DJ here to entertain the guests and need to look the part.
    I think a tie would be overdressing for me, but would where one if requested.

Here's a photo form last year. taken at Wookie Hole!

Name:  28060987_337044433482218_1371506320568904731_o.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  48.9 KB

IMO looks quite smart, the disco has somewhat changed since :-)

Default Never say never.

Well folks, one of the last bastions of what Real DJ's do may be crumbling. As I've said above, and I see Chris was on the same page, I used to feel a sense of confidence from wearing a suit. It was the uniform, the symbol of what we do.

Things change, and I must own up to not wearing a suit at a few weddings recently, for various reasons. Suit trousers, shirt, and on one occasion, I think I didn't have a tie!

Nobody died. Nobody had an attack of the vapours. As with many aspects of this game, a rethink could be on the cards. Mind you, the chances of me turning up dressed like some togs, well......................
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk