Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the latest DJ dress code for weddings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Funnily enough, I feel most comfortable at weddings in a suit and tie. Appropriate and acceptable for most weddings. Saying that, I've had a few this year where they married abroad/elsewhere/earlier, and wanted a very informal party. For these, I didn't even wear a tie!

I can remember when DJs wore a suit and dress shirt at every function. ( Sigh) I miss those days.
    A bit old school - I must admit when I first started out at weddings I wore a suit because I thought it made me look smart AND actually gave me confidence. I still like a suit, the main bug bear for me is having to change after the gig to pack down, something I detest having to do.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Oh and by the way, I HAVE DJ'd a wedding in shorts before

Last summer, boiling hot day in a big hot hall using the Retro setup when it contained lamps instead of LED. The groom (who's idea it was to use the Retro show because he was an ex-jock himself) told me to dress in shorts and a t-shirt.....because that's how he used to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I did twice this summer, nobody seemed to care (although I did check with the B&G)

So, no formal wear as such for me.....I'm the entertainment not the waiting staff or a guest. .
    You're halfway there, son. If you're an entertainer, dress like one, not a bloody Ninja, in black from head to toe. Not my style, Jim, but ten out of ten for the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    A bit old school - I must admit when I first started out at weddings I wore a suit because I thought it made me look smart AND actually gave me confidence. I still like a suit, the main bug bear for me is having to change after the gig to pack down, something I detest having to do.
    Correctamundo.

I did twice this summer, nobody seemed to care (although I did check with the B&G)
    There you go, Benny. Never say never.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Good question as I don't think appearance is taken seriously enough in this profession. I would undoubtably say 'look towards Italy, rather than Scotland' for next year. I Have worn this year - Smart grey tight chinos, white dress shirt, blue tie and usually my sleeves rolled up & really nice brown leather shoes with blue suede to match the tie. Almost every event someone has complimented my shoes, every other event someone has complimented my waistcoat, both cost about £25 each from Amazon and have lasted all wedding season! Really great find, but it took me many hours of research to put it all together. Yes I am sad, but its part of my 20% solution.

I used to wear a 3 piece tweed and went to just the waistcoat especially in the summer, but I noticed that a lot of groomsmen started doing it (I bought it 5 years back from Marc Darcy) so I think its starting to go a lot more casual and italian now.

I saw a friend of mine the other day and I he always wears a dinner jacket, which I think is way OTT, but it depends on the person, especially if you have a large frame as a suit can really look good over a polo shirt (for example). Not a fan of ties with suits though.

I have actually ignored what DJ's have been saying and have studied photographers to come up with my dress. A photographer I know also always wears a 3 black Tux? Firstly it must be very uncomfortable but he is the only person that wears one and I don't think it does him any favours?? Taking ab sometout photographer dress, you can really dress down and still get away with it, especially the hippy girls, I actually think sometimes they look really cool, with flat shoes and funky clothes.

The one 'trend' I just don't understand is the guys who think they are really cool (usually from London) that don't wear socks and have trousers too short. Whats all that about as to me they just look gay.

This was the old me (although I would usually always have a matching tie must have been hot?):

Name:  SJH300516-329 copy.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  48.2 KB

Me before that (no tie with an open neck jacket):

Name:  FACEBOOK.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  43.9 KB

I am running out of time - Cant find anything resembling my current dress as i am up a mountain in Poland, but imagine this with tighter grey jeans, waistcoat and smart white shirt. Really great Hugo Boss belt, it has a racket system, so can be set to my waist leaving the shirt nicely tucked in. My weight has been going up and down a bit so its a god send and is a great accessory.

Name:  jcrew-navy-ludlow-suit-vest-in-italian-chino-product-1-11992565-548934791.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  14.0 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 20-09-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Funny one as what works for me wont work for you. We are all shapes and sizes, as well as having a certain look and certainly age plays a factor.

I used to wear a full 3 piece, until i was mistaken for a guest and missed out on a fillet steak from a venue the size of my shoe. Haven't worn one since.

I now wear smart jeans, a short sleeve shirt and a blazer jacket. once the first dance is done i whip off the jacket and reveal the guns

This kind of goes with my ethos of Formal for the first dance, then its party time.

New logo is getting designed at the moment so i may switch to a logo'd short sleeve shirt who knows.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    i whip off the jacket and reveal the guns
    You dress like a Cowboy?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 20-09-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote. Toby, please ensure you put the correct person's name with the quote.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Funny one as what works for me wont work for you. We are all shapes and sizes, as well as having a certain look and certainly age plays a factor.

New logo is getting designed at the moment so i may switch to a logo'd short sleeve shirt who knows.
    Very true - if you are looking at a logo short sleeved shirt, whatever you do don't buy a black one. I bought some and they fade straight away and to be honest within a few months started to look very tatty. They were quite good quality too.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    You dress like a Cowboy?
    ha! Yes, i forgot to mention i also wear spurs and chaps on top of my smart jeans.

The Guns also help with anyone who puts drinks on my subs

Very true - if you are looking at a logo short sleeved shirt, whatever you do don't buy a black one. I bought some and they fade straight away and to be honest within a few months started to look very tatty. They were quite good quality too.
    They would be white i think, but they have to reasonably fashionable (but not expensive as i will go through that many of them)
    Last edited by Excalibur; 20-09-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: merged posts
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

First impressions are important; so a smart tidy rig with cables neatly arranged and attractive lighting etc. If the operator/staff look tatty then it undermines all that effort. In any shop or business I use cleanliness and smart appearance is an influence and discos are no different.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco