Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: CD MIX B/Tooth repair. A bit of a long shot question

Default CD MIX B/Tooth repair. A bit of a long shot question

A bit of a long shot I know, but maybe someone knows,
    #1 Are the channel faders inc Aux and Master interchangeable and if so, are they also interchangeable with the earlier iCD MIX variant?
    #2 Same question regarding the CD drives are these also interchangeable with the earlier iCD Mix variant?
    #3 Does anyone know where these spares can be purchased from in the UK? I've tried contacting Numark on several occasions for this info, but it seems they can't be bothered to reply.
    My only alternative is to try to make 2 good B/Tooth units out of 3 faulty ones the iCD Mix being the prospective doner unit.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Faders, no matter what make they're for aren't anything like as easy to come by these days. Even RS Components only do a handful of faders for audio. See if you can locate a service manual to dig the fader part number out ... or disembowel the unit & post photos of them here. I've sourced many a compatible, alternative part. You don't generally want to replace parts in mixers with the same crappy components they use anyway

For the CD drive it's probably the same kind of story - get a look at one there's bound to be a manufacturer & part number on it somewhere. Hint: very few companies made CD mechanisms.

As for the bluetooth - well if it's just a bluetooth audio receiver module it should be pretty easy to find a suitable replacement.

Wooo look! I just found a UK supplier of spares for said bit of kit...

https://sbsav.co.uk/shop/spare-parts...ix-bt/#/page-3

SEVENTEEN FLIPPING QUID FOR A CHANNEL FADER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

https://sbsav.co.uk/shop/41543-numar...slide-pot.html

Looking at the pics the part cost them 50p to buy in. If that. Jog on, Numark!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Wooo look! I just found a UK supplier of spares for said bit of kit...

https://sbsav.co.uk/shop/spare-parts...ix-bt/#/page-3

SEVENTEEN FLIPPING QUID FOR A CHANNEL FADER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

https://sbsav.co.uk/shop/41543-numar...slide-pot.html

Looking at the pics the part cost them 50p to buy in. If that. Jog on, Numark!
    I've already contacted SBS and despite advertising the faders for sale, they don't have any in stock, and don't know when they will have them again, but unlike Numark, at least they had the decency to reply. I'd willingly bite the bullet and pay the extortionate £34 to get 2 players up and running again. It looks like a bit of cannibalism will be the likeliest solution.

Thanks for your reply.

PS. if you ever need spares for your Gigabar MK1, or know someone who does, I may be able to help out, I have one with a faulty display board that I'm considering dismantling for spares since I can't get my hands on an affordably priced display board, or find a fixed (sensibly) priced repair.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I've already contacted SBS and despite advertising the faders for sale, they don't have any in stock, and don't know when they will have them again, but unlike Numark, at least they had the decency to reply. I'd willingly bite the bullet and pay the extortionate £34 to get 2 players up and running again. It looks like a bit of cannibalism will be the likeliest solution.

Thanks for your reply.

PS. if you ever need spares for your Gigabar MK1, or know someone who does, I may be able to help out, I have one with a faulty display board that I'm considering dismantling for spares since I can't get my hands on an affordably priced display board, or find a fixed (sensibly) priced repair.
    If sbs' photo is representative of the actual part you should be able to find replacement faders quite readily. They're not usually too big a job to change either unless it's in a Denon unit.

Re your gigabar mk1.. Is the display board dead as in not lighting up, or has it made the entire fixture dead too? Depends what happened to it, but if its on board micro is OK it should be a doable & economical repair.

Re your gigabar mk1.. Is the display board dead as in not lighting up, or has it made the entire fixture dead too? Depends what happened to it, but if its on board micro is OK it should be a doable & economical repair.
    I seem to think we exchanged PMs regarding this around a year ago (maybe longer) The bar went out with a young kid who convinced me he knew what he was doing in controlling the gigabar via DMX from his laptop, when he returned it I was busy and didn't bother checking it over, mistake! The next time the bar was plugged in the blue display window was garbled and not responding to the mode and control buttons, the remote no longer controlled the bar but the four COB lamps were still working and appeared to change colour (but not under control) I think at this point you suggested the display board was likely to be the problem. I contacted equinox regarding purchasing one but they were £90+. I enquired about a repair but they wouldn't give a firm quote and I was not risking having a bill nearly the same price as I could get another working bar for. Ever since then it's resided in my store room awaiting a decision, or one of my other bars requiring spare parts. However, my other gigabars have proved to be very reliable and I've never needed to cannibalise it for spares, apart from the case and tripod bag of course. The bar itself has had very little use and is in excellent cosmetic condition, ideally I'd like to get it fixed, but it's all down to price.

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I seem to think we exchanged PMs regarding this around a year ago (maybe longer) The bar went out with a young kid who convinced me he knew what he was doing in controlling the gigabar via DMX from his laptop, when he returned it I was busy and didn't bother checking it over, mistake! The next time the bar was plugged in the blue display window was garbled and not responding to the mode and control buttons, the remote no longer controlled the bar but the four COB lamps were still working and appeared to change colour (but not under control) I think at this point you suggested the display board was likely to be the problem. I contacted equinox regarding purchasing one but they were £90+. I enquired about a repair but they wouldn't give a firm quote and I was not risking having a bill nearly the same price as I could get another working bar for. Ever since then it's resided in my store room awaiting a decision, or one of my other bars requiring spare parts. However, my other gigabars have proved to be very reliable and I've never needed to cannibalise it for spares, apart from the case and tripod bag of course. The bar itself has had very little use and is in excellent cosmetic condition, ideally I'd like to get it fixed, but it's all down to price.
    Ah yes I think I remember talking about this with somebody now.

Yeah definitely sounds like the display PCB is broken, and though there's a chance it's something simple (onboard voltage regulator) I suspect it's more serious & requires its microcontroller replaced - which is simple to do but a new chip won't come with the software on it It might just be the internal 12V power supply has gone wonky.. get your multimeter out & measure it (be very very careful operating a live powered unit in bits).

You know how the ADJ DOTZ TPAR is pretty much the same fixture, bar the shape of the LED head housings? Well.. ADJ sell the display board for that for a mere $22. There's an issue in that the DMX channel mappings are different though. The gigabar goes up to 17 channels & the TPAR system has an extra channel. I think it'd likely get the unit going again.

There's another clone of the Gigabar around badged by Cameo. Might be worth contacting their spares dept too.

You know how the ADJ DOTZ TPAR is pretty much the same fixture, bar the shape of the LED head housings? Well.. ADJ sell the display board for that for a mere $22. There's an issue in that the DMX channel mappings are different though. The gigabar goes up to 17 channels & the TPAR system has an extra channel. I think it'd likely get the unit going again.

There's another clone of the Gigabar around badged by Cameo. Might be worth contacting their spares dept too.
    Thanks for the info, but I tend to leave electronic repairs to the experts, my knowledge of such things is equivalent to what I could write on a postage stamp with a felt tip pen. The 'heads up' on the Cameo bar is interesting though, especially if I need to get more gigabar type fixtures, the MK1s were great but current MK4's are a step backwards IMO and unsuitable for my requirements.

On a more positive note, I've managed to buy an iCDMIX on eBay, it was in need of repair, so it came cheap and assuming the seller has described it accurately, I'll be able to cannibalise it and repair all 3 of my faulty players, plus, with a bit of luck, I'll have a few spares left over in case of future problems.

Disco 4 Hire