Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Starting all over, whats changed?

Default Starting all over, whats changed?

Hello everyone,

Iv had a 5 year break from djing due to my full time job changing to shift work, but now im on regular days and with much more time on my hands i can feel the fire burning to get started and get out gigging again.

So the ultimate question is has anything changed much in the last 5 years and whats the market like?

Luckily im still in touch with a few people so i can go along and roadie to get a feel for it, i know its going to be a struggle to get gigs booked from scratch even though my contacts have said they can pass some work on, so my first priority is to get a decent website sorted so i can try and generate some leads from that.

In my younger days i built up from been a roadie, so starting from scratch is new territory for my so any other wisdom you may have to help me would be great.

I started up again in 2015 - so 3 years ago.

I came in just as some major changes were becoming common place.

The first was speakers - the like of the Evox 8 have made the load in far lighter and easier.

The second is the rise of the laptop controller/mixer, like the MC6000mk2, saving the need for CDs etc.

The third was the new range of low-power LED lighting.

I came back in to the industry with nothing - just a decent music collection from DJ'ing in bars.

I didn't buy a single bit of equipment: I launched a website, and run ads on Facebook and Google and got bookings in. A few weeks before the first gig, I purchased a load of equipment brand new, on credit card, and went and did my first gig.

In that first year (first gig was in April), I did £7.2k worth of gigs, and it was onwards and upwards from there!

Get the marketing right, and everything else can fall in the place.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I started up again in 2015 - so 3 years ago.

I came in just as some major changes were becoming common place.

The first was speakers - the like of the Evox 8 have made the load in far lighter and easier.

The second is the rise of the laptop controller/mixer, like the MC6000mk2, saving the need for CDs etc.

The third was the new range of low-power LED lighting.

I came back in to the industry with nothing - just a decent music collection from DJ'ing in bars.

I didn't buy a single bit of equipment: I launched a website, and run ads on Facebook and Google and got bookings in. A few weeks before the first gig, I purchased a load of equipment brand new, on credit card, and went and did my first gig.

In that first year (first gig was in April), I did £7.2k worth of gigs, and it was onwards and upwards from there!

Get the marketing right, and everything else can fall in the place.
    Of course that could have been 72 £100 gigs *poke*

What we do isn't rocket science. Act professionally, treat the clients well and the success will come.

I've grossed almost as much as my wife, who brings in a decent crust herself, this year and I'm part time and didn't 'do' anything to achieve this other than demonstrate to couples that my fee is worth paying for.

No marbecca, pengelly or trips to Vegas, just common sense, graft and putting the client first at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Of course that could have been 72 £100 gigs *poke*
    Ah, yes, fair point. This was 21 gigs, so an average fee of £343 per gig. It was year one, so my prices were considerably cheaper as I built up my assets (photos, testimonials etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    No marbecca, pengelly or trips to Vegas, just common sense, graft and putting the client first at all times.
    I've personally found a lot of value in training. It's given me confidence in what I do and has exposed me to new ideas, that I've been able to adapt to suit my style and my clients. Understanding what to do during an all day wedding has really opened up my business.

7.2k is a good figure for a first year start up. Like yourself rth im willing to drop my fee slightly to build up images/testimonials etc but not so much as to under value myself

I pretty much have figured out the set up i want to go for which will make it as easy as possable setting up and down and i do like the look and sound of systems such as the evox, maui etc.

Although i want to go out and buy everything like a kid in a candy shop, im resisting for the moment and putting the money towards the website and marketing. Facebook and google ads would be a first for me, do they generally return a good amount of enquires for the cost of them?

Quote Originally Posted by amplified View Post
    do they generally return a good amount of enquires for the cost of them?
    I used facebook many years ago and it didn't work for me at the time, it may be better these days, I used google ad words a year ago and it was a complete waste of my time and money, IMO you would be best to concentrate on getting good generic placing's and recommendations from the customers you do get gigs from. Networking with other DJs in your area can usually get you gigs and useful contacts should you fall ill, or accidentally double book a date.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by amplified View Post
    Although i want to go out and buy everything like a kid in a candy shop, im resisting for the moment and putting the money towards the website and marketing. Facebook and google ads would be a first for me, do they generally return a good amount of enquires for the cost of them?
    That's exactly what I did.

But don't try and do it yourself. That's like a bride saying she doesn't need a DJ, as she can put an iPod on with a playlist she's created through her hifi.

Yes, it's a 'disco', but we know it doesn't work.

Nearly everyone I've come across who has done online marketing and says it doesn't work is because they did it themselves. It really needs an expert to do it, and don't expect overnight success. The person implementing it should be spending time tweaking and adjusting the campaigns until they hit a sweet spot, which can take a couple of months to achieve, and is then an ongoing process.

Wise to invest in marketing first. Marketing will get you gigs.

You can go and buy the equipment, but sat in storage, it won't generate you any gigs