Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Rekorbox with DDJ400 - high CPU usage.

Default Rekorbox with DDJ400 - high CPU usage.

Hi
    I have upgraded my old Numark mixdeck express running with VDJ to the new pioneer ddj400 running with their Recordbox software.

I am running Rekordbox on a windows laptop and noticed that it's using about 70% CPU usage which is high compared to other DJ/mixing software's that i used in the past like VDJ on the same laptop.
    Rekordbox is stable so far, but the laptop sounds like a jet just about to take off!!

Anyone else using Rekorbox on here noticed this??

Thanks

Rekordbox is so heavy and can't really see why.

They could do with a better build team.
    Nathan.

Yes I agree, They also need a new support team too as messaged them 2 days ago about this and no reply yet lol!!

If dj software makes a big spike in cpu usage my reckoning is it's not fit for purpose. What's recordbox written in, JAVA?

HHmmm not sure if it's written in Java lol. In all honesty. i like Rekorbox and very similar to VDJ. Yes it does spike the CPU to 100% every now and then but keeps disk drive very low compared to other DJ software's. It hasn't crashed yet but only tried it at home for about 2 hours. I'm hoping that they release an update to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Max View Post
    HHmmm not sure if it's written in Java lol. In all honesty. i like Rekorbox and very similar to VDJ. Yes it does spike the CPU to 100% every now and then but keeps disk drive very low compared to other DJ software's. It hasn't crashed yet but only tried it at home for about 2 hours. I'm hoping that they release an update to fix this.
    Just out of interest what's the spec of the laptop you are using as I'm about to take the plunge for the ddj800 with rekordbox? Might give me food for thought before I also purchase a new laptop
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Point is - whatever your system is (within reason) it shouldn't have much of a bearing on how well a DJ playout program runs if it's been well written IMHO. If it turns out you need a ridiculous spec'd machine just to play a bit of music then in my opinion, that software is JUNK.

I had cause to try playing videos in VDJ fairly recently. On hearing all the guff about needing dedicated graphics, oodles of RAM & the latest generation i7 processor, AND having to 'optimise' the machine I decided to see what my Dell E5430 (i5, 4GB RAM, integrated Intel graphics, 980GB SSD) could do. It turned out that playing multiple 1080p videos was well within its capability. Then I tried recording VDJ's output (as video).. Yeah that causes a bit more CPU usage, but nothing mad. I take a stock Windows installation, put the controller drivers on it, then install the DJ software - no need to spend ages tweaking services to 'optimise' it.

I'm not opposed to trying different software to DJ with in principle, but threads like this give me pause. It's very unlikely I'll ever leave VDJ now though, seen as they brought OS2L along & my DMX lighting system is all tied in with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Point is - whatever your system is (within reason) it shouldn't have much of a bearing on how well a DJ playout program runs if it's been well written IMHO. If it turns out you need a ridiculous spec'd machine just to play a bit of music then in my opinion, that software is JUNK.
    Agreed, the days of 'minimum specs' are pretty much over now.

Of course, it wasn't that long ago where it was critical, but a relatively basic (but decent) system should be able to handle more standard stuff to do with DJ'ing easily.

For the last few years I've been of the opinion that the build quality of the hardware (ie, the durability of the laptop itself) is more of a factor than the actual spec.