Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm starting to fall out of love with photographers

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    As seasoned ( jaundiced? ) professionals, we're more in the " whenever" camp. Wedding timetables are fickle things.
    I agree and disagree with that.

If a couple has planned their whole day and has chosen their first dance to be at 8pm, provided things are running to plan their first dance will be 8pm - not 7.30/7.45 so the photographer or venue staff can get away early - which is usually the only reason to bring a first dance forward.

I had one instance last year where the photographer had a 'train to catch' and we had to do the first dance as evening guests were still arriving otherwise there would be no first dance photos, even though it was supposed to happen an hour later and I assume the photographer would be aware.

I think it is a double edged sword too - how many times are you booked till midnight and receive an email a week or so beforehand to say it is now 1am without any offer of ££ or checking if possible ? I assume this happens with photographers too (ie book till7.30pm but have the first dance planned for 8pm)
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I have a had a few photographers ask me to adjust my lighting this year. Luckily i'm running freestyler with everything DMX'ed so I can adjust it all.
    I have now taken to static white lighting for first dance, with moving spoty - then it up a bit towards the end of the song after the photographer has taken the first dance photos.

I've seen a lot of photographers advertising their services as 'including your first dance' which to me looks like they're open about a reasonable home time. They probably don't all account for time slippages & this is where the problem starts - they've assumed it'll be before a certain time.

It's been a while since I've met a photographer who was difficult or demanding to work with. I've stopped joking about the 1st dance time being when I switch on all my dotty lights & cluster lasers though.. I thought I was being funny but the look of genuine horror on their faces told me otherwise. Whoops. There was one a couple of months ago got a bit carried away photographing the shapes my gobos were making in the haze & didn't notice the B&G were ready to cut their cake.

I show all photographers how the 1st dance lighting will look & if they're not happy about something I can change it. Most don't have any concerns & if anything quite a few don't avoid getting my rig in shot. Me on the other hand.. the number of times I've been asked to duck out of the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Me on the other hand.. the number of times I've been asked to duck out of the way...
    I usually intentionally lurk behind my speakers
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I usually intentionally lurk behind my speakers
    Even though I've lost a bit of weight, no way is a Maui 11 going to hide me!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Me on the other hand.. the number of times I've been asked to duck out of the way...
    I remember very distinctly a local photographer who wasn't shy about getting in a couple of the photos himself with the bride and groom but come the first dance was quick to tell me to shift out of the way (me being me having to pretty much sit down to avoid being seen behind the booth)

Its not like i'm unsightly or not dressed the part!
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

I had a tog a couple of years ago insist that I stop the music (it was about 9.45pm and the floor had filled up nicely after the buffet) so that he could organise a dance off between the bride and groom. Who were, by chance not even in the room.

He was told where to go in no uncertain terms. I was later summoned by the venue to explain myself as the tog in question had complained about my unprofessional attitude.

You can guess my response. The venue agreed with me that, once the formal bits are over (first dance and the like) the evening was mine and, if he was still there to record the evening informally.

Had he approached me earlier and asked me if we could arrange something,of course, we could have worked something between us, but to just stand there and bark orders at me, that don't work.

He was working about 60 miles away from home, so I bet he had a lovely journey home, muttering to himself.

I discussed this later with three local photographer freinds and they were all in agreement, they would never have done the same, but would have approached me beforehand to form a joint plan.