Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Africa - Toto and Call me Al by Paul Simon

Hybrid View

Default What is it with Africa - Toto and Call me Al by Paul Simon

I get many wedding playlist throughtout the year. I'd say about 70% of them have both Africa - Toto and Call me Al by Paul Simon.
    IMO not great songs, you might get a few up. People didn't want to listen to these a few years ago.
    I guess they were on a TV show in recent years? I don't often watch the TV so am sometimes behind on there things.
    DJ Keith Hards, mobile disc jockey from Somerset

https://keithhards.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by khards View Post
    I get many wedding playlist throughtout the year. I'd say about 70% of them have both Africa - Toto and Call me Al by Paul Simon.
    IMO not great songs, you might get a few up. People didn't want to listen to these a few years ago.
    I guess they were on a TV show in recent years? I don't often watch the TV so am sometimes behind on there things.
    I've had Toto loads of times this year - certainly the last dozen or so weddings. I've got You Can Call Me Al for the first time in years on Saturday (it's going into the background music).

The big (and welcome) comeback for me though after a long lull is Bohemian Rhapsody. It's making an appearance at virtually every party at the moment....so much so I've now programmed a custom light-show just for that track.

Sweet Caroline for some reason is seeing a resurgence as well. Wasn't so long back that it used to be on the Do Not Play list for most of my weddings.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The big (and welcome) comeback for me though after a long lull is Bohemian Rhapsody. It's making an appearance at virtually every party at the moment....so much so I've now programmed a custom light-show just for that track.
    Yeah, i'm getting that one too.

I reckon they might be on a bride's top 100 wedding tracks list or something... They are usually sourced from the US or just made up on the spot.
    I also wonder if the youtube 'mix' button influences people, which again is likely influenced by advertising revenue.

Finished with that on Saturday at an engagement, went down a storm a finished bang on 11.30PM.

The surprise of the weekend was the day after. We had a 9th birthday and the birthday girl asked for it to be the last song!
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Finished with that on Saturday at an engagement, went down a storm a finished bang on 11.30PM.

The surprise of the weekend was the day after. We had a 9th birthday and the birthday girl asked for it to be the last song!
    I have a choice tomorrow (unlike Saturday which is completely scripted )
    Tomorrow's B&G have given me some banging suggestions - the sort of thing I'd normally play. But....do I finish with Bo-Rap, or do I go for another on the list which is a fave ending of mine - Time of my Life????

Decisions decisions......

For some reason, Toto Africa is going down a storm at the moment.

And if you've got a few South Africans in the room it's basically an anthem for them!

Talking

Do you have a nice little strobe effect during the 'thunder bolt and lightning' lines?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Do you have a nice little strobe effect during the 'thunder bolt and lightning' lines?
    Funny you should mention that Gavin

I start off (and finish) with first dance lighting - i.e. static wash, a couple of slow moving beams....you get the picture....

Then the show moves into what my lighting software (LightKey) calls "purple haze" (basically a type of UV wash that "moves" but it's NOT UV if that makes sense).
    And then....yes, we go into strobes and eventually a proper RGBA wash sequence.

Hard to explain and I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow night (oops...tonight ) to show what I mean provided everything works as planned after last Friday's little debacle....everything seems to be working after repairs...but I've spent the entire day configuring a 3rd backup (a Windoze laptop....yuck!), just in case. Needless to say, I'm going to have very squeaky bum cheeks until my new Mac SSD's turn up on Monday next week.

Africa is getting asked for loads from the floor currently, perhaps due to the Weezer/Toto " you play mine, I'll play yours ".
    Sweet Caroline never really left my set ( as it's my closer of choice nowadays ) , and it's also apparently been adopted by a fairly local footie club and seemingly an entire county!
    Paul Simon, nope, no requests.

Bohemian Rhapsody every now and again, but Wayne, if it helps, I also used to close on Time of My Life.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody every now and again, but Wayne, if it helps, I also used to close on Time of My Life.
    I usually finish up with Time of my life too :-)

Quite the end of the evening goes:
    Time of my life
    Never forget - Taket that
    Fran sinatra - New york

I have a mix of classic 80s rock and club classics requested from the Bride and Groom for Saturday, Planning to split it into roughly two sets with Rock first and club classics a bit later. I fear the rock will clear the floor.