Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: December Cancellations

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    Smart phones killed Christmas Parties and just about every other party
    I make a point of asking people to put them away (not that that makes a difference)
    Eh?

I barely see anyone on their devices much at parties even now. Maybe a few early doors but when things are going the only time I see a phone out is the ubiquitous selfie.

Anyway I can't see how modern tech has killed off Christmas party BOOKINGS except maybe it's made evidence collection much easier

My first hotel residency saw me DJing at all the Christmas party nights. It was a pleasurable experience for almost 4 years.
    Despite the fact that in that 4 years I saw 4 different general managers come and go, all was well. I had a great working relationship with the management and staff and it was enjoyable. I can count on one hand the number of cancellations I had in the first 3 years. It wasn't a problem either as they were cancelled with plenty of notice.

The issues came when a new general manager and sidekick wedding co-ordinator / conference & banqueting manager took over the reigns. I'm not joking when I say it was terrible. The fee I was charging was around the same as every other supplier in the area (I did my research at the time), for 7.00pm - 1.00am.
    They had some (in my opinion, and experience), very strange ideas and were adamant that they would work (even though I didn't think they would, but I didn't question them.... The previous managers may have welcomed my ideas and opinions, but I knew the new gruesome twosome wouldn't, so I said nothing.

When the usual meeting came along in August to go over the potential party nights, they bombarded me with loads of them. On 3 weekends they sprung it on me that they wanted 2 Discos on each night (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I saw the ££££ signs and knew it would be a good earner (potentially). I marked the dates in the diary, contacted my regular DJ and she did the same. Literally 2 weeks before the parties were due to start, the general manager called me in. He cancelled 8 nights if I remember correctly. All 8 nights were going to be covered by my other DJ. Not only was she going to miss out on some decent pay, she had turned down other bookings to commit to me. She wasn't happy, I wasn't happy and our working relationship went downhill very quickly. We didn't speak for a while (luckily it didn't last).

The general manager questioned my cancellation charges too (they were pretty much like anybody elses)...... He asked if I could be a bit lenient and contradicted himself, saying that he realised I was self-employed and it was quite a bit to lose, especially at Christmas. He sat there with a smirk on his face, almost grinning at me. It was totally out of order and I decided there and then that I was NOT going to back down. I had also made up my mind that I was going to make it my last Christmas at the venue. It was seriously hard work doing almost the whole of December with a smile on my face, entertaining their guests when all I really wanted to do was get out of there. During the final week of parties, I received payment for the cancelled bookings, and also for the majority of parties I had done. The rest would be paid after Christmas. I was happy with that.....well....until I noticed a letter from the general manager in a Christmas card from the venue.

In the letter he stated that he was disappointed that I couldn't have been a bit more lenient with them, thanked me for my hard work and then said that they were reviewing their suppliers in the new year, and if I wanted to remain a supplier I would need to drop my prices. That was the kick I needed and it was quite awkward as I had a few more nights to go plus New Years Eve. I did the lot of them, had a really good time and then went in one afternoon in the new year and handed him a letter face to face. He knew exactly what it was, shook my hand and I walked out. It was a relief to be honest, but also quite scary as the venue gave me plenty of work during the year and Christmas.

As I said, I was still relatively new back then. I had been doing the job self-employed for 4 years, earning decent money, but now I was stuck (or so I thought).
    Luckily I got myself another 2 residencies (better aswell) very quickly.

Darren, you know as well as the rest of us that what they say goes..... They are all about making as much money as they can. They don't care about us at the end of the day. It doesn't matter how good your working relationship is with them, it can all end just like that. It's a pain, but it happens all the time.
    IF I were still doing the job like I used to, I would personally not take on a residency.
    I hope you manage to get something sorted. I personally wouldn't back down. You have a good reputation and maybe they'll realise (too late, if you go walkies), that they've lost a good thing? They need you (a decent supplier), more than you need them. You'll find work anywhere. They won't find another reliable, quality supplier straight away who will jump when asked to.............or maybe they will? Who knows? What I DO know, is that even though I felt quite nervous when it hit me that I'd more or less binned a good payer, it all worked out well in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And in the time honoured practice of willy waving: Eight!

The forum member who has this residency has shared them out between the team, but it's still a big blow to all concerned.
    It seems that they were attempting to sell two party nights each Friday and Saturday, with the hope of a third, private function filling the rarely used third room. One of the party nights featured a tribute band plus disco and the other just a disco for £5 less. On some nights, the disco party night hasn't sold enough places so those that have booked have been upgraded free of charge to the tribute night. If the original higher payers find out there will be trouble.

On the first Friday, EVERYTHING has been cancelled and I have noticed today a Black Friday advert giving a 20% discount on all new bookings. Selling well then....

And now it's my time to join in

I had TWO (yes....TWO) "corporate" Xmas parties booked for December. One of those has just cancelled on me due to lack of numbers.
    So, the quietest December on record for me then....just three parties and one of those is the local Primary end of term gig for the kids.

As things stand...last party (the local primary kids) on 13th December, then nothing until my wedding season re-starts in April next year (I'm not going to fret too much because something always comes in).

What in the name of all that's holy is going on?

....and here we go again. As predicted, all of the dates from the agency have just been cancelled. I was expecting that and I only allowed the agency to take my Thursday and Sunday nights so I'm not exactly upset.

The remainder of December is rammed, as is January! But other than the usual school Xmas discos and a few daytime kids parties, it's mostly weddings!

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

If you play hard ball you risk losing future gigs.
    If you play soft ball then you can be seen as a soft touch and then get messed around even more.

I would be inclined to meet them in the middle and ask for half the lost money but make the point you are meeting them half way.
    If they still stick to their guns then maybe then roll over and accept it but at least you have not come across as an easy touch.

How did this end up Darren ?

I budget for an amount of cancellations over December - venues can often be a little over ambitious - however have found this year to beat every other year for cancellations - including 3 on NYE.

I have took most of it on the chin, however with one venue I am 'in negotiations' as my NYE has a 2 month cancellation period and they only cancelled on Monday. On top of that I have nearly £8k of overdue invoices from them.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

I have took most of it on the chin, however with one venue I am 'in negotiations' as my NYE has a 2 month cancellation period and they only cancelled on Monday. On top of that I have nearly £8k of overdue invoices from them.
    Good luck with that one. I don't foresee it ending amicably.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Good luck with that one. I don't foresee it ending amicably.
    I will let you know at 12:01am

Amicably - No, simply because it isn't workable for me.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I sacked off my only residency this year due to poor payment and even poorer excuses. For the last two years I've worked for a local "agent" and friend but suffered last year when a few gigs got cancelled, like Chris said they book the dates and a DJ then try to fill them, if you don't they cut losses. That didn't work for me so this year I've just taken some bookings that came in and stayed available for some dates when the obligatory DJ is ill phone calls came in.

Thus far i'll earn the same amount as last year doing 8 less gigs so I'm a happy bunny, especially as I've started Uni this year so have less spare time.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture