Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: December Cancellations

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Apologies if I've misinterpreted it!

Maybe one for another thread, but I don't understand this desire to act as a 'mini agency' when other gigs come in.

With me, if I'm booked, I'm booked - but will pass on details of other DJs to contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now we're on the same page. Gavin, I'm with you completely.

From what I can see, an awful lot of the " help, my DJ's cancelled five weeks/days/minutes before the gig" stem from Helpful Harry's Discos being fully booked for a date, but taking a deposit ( which they keep ) and hoping to pass it on to Ron's Reliable Discos at the balance price.
    I also suspect that since most of us are helpful types, we don't relish the prospect of a gig without a DJ, so we try our best to help a " friend in need ". Now whether the " friend " is in need of digging out of a hole entirely of his own making...............................
    Completely agree. I've never ever taken on a booking for a date I'm unavailable. I've never taken a payment for a gig I couldn't do or wouldn't be doing myself. I even built my original booking system (pre-DJEP) to make it impossible to be double-booked and all because I simply don't trust anyone else to provide the same level of service that I provide. I even felt really nervous about letting my own brother do a gig even though I knew that he was more than capable. I guess it's just the way I am!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Completely agree. I've never ever taken on a booking for a date I'm unavailable. I've never taken a payment for a gig I couldn't do or wouldn't be doing myself.
    Same here, I’m not an agent or multi-op.

if I’m not available I recommend a few trusted DJs to the client and that’s where my involvement ends.
    Unless you are running a legitimate agency/multi-op it feels a but scummy to farm a booking out for a cheaper rate and take a cut.

At the point the venue made the thinly veiled threat that would be the beginning of the end anyway in my eyes. The relationship in my opinion is tarnished from this point.

What was their reply to your offer of 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    At the point the venue made the thinly veiled threat that would be the beginning of the end anyway in my eyes. The relationship in my opinion is tarnished from this point.

The boy has struck the nail fairly and squarely on the head.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Apologies if I've misinterpreted it!

Maybe one for another thread, but I don't understand this desire to act as a 'mini agency' when other gigs come in.
    Well that opened another can of worms... Peter has the correct interpretation, I honoured my commitments. As to the whole mini-agency thing, I'm always very reluctant to employ other DJ's. However I employed a few people that I know and trust to cover a select few bookings from customers that know me well enough that I can be completely transparent with them. I also only did it where they wanted another service alongside the DJ that I could support (e.g. photobooth, lighting, PA, etc).

In short, if someone is just after a disco and I'm booked, then I'm booked. But I'll put a DJ in with a photobooth so that the whole booking doesn't go somewhere else.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I sometimes have to book other DJs in to cover for me when I go on holiday & it absolutely kills me to do it. It can be people I'd trust to the ends of the earth but that still doesn't stop me bricking it. Picture the scene, lounging by the pool on holiday, staring at my phone at 6pm UK time waiting for a message to say my cover DJ has arrived okay. It's not about how much I trust them or how reliable they are (cos they are very reliable & trustworthy or I wouldn't use them).. it's more the what ifs.. stuff that might be completely unavoidable & I can't help cos I'm too far away. I dunno how multiops who rely on others working for them sleep at night I really don't. FWIW though, I don't skim off the top of my fee for fillin DJs. They're helping me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

Totally agree. A business relationship should be an equal one. If they know they can get the upperhand on you then they'll capitalise on it. HOWEVER, I'm also a realist and you need to weigh up the pros and cons. If this venue provides you with most of your work throughout the year then a hit for a few weeks is better than losing out in the long term. But, for me, I'm with Shaun. It would be goodnight Vienna. I must point out though, that its been a lot of years since DJing was my main income so maybe I'm not best qualified to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I sometimes have to book other DJs in to cover for me when I go on holiday & it absolutely kills me to do it. It can be people I'd trust to the ends of the earth but that still doesn't stop me bricking it. Picture the scene, lounging by the pool on holiday, staring at my phone at 6pm UK time waiting for a message to say my cover DJ has arrived okay. It's not about how much I trust them or how reliable they are (cos they are very reliable & trustworthy or I wouldn't use them).. it's more the what ifs.. stuff that might be completely unavoidable & I can't help cos I'm too far away. I dunno how multiops who rely on others working for them sleep at night I really don't. FWIW though, I don't skim off the top of my fee for fillin DJs. They're helping me out.
    And knowing you from online, Justin, I can totally understand that. I'll tell you this. Since I had to take "early albeit temporary retirement", you're only one of a handful of people I've recommended when I've had an enquiry come in for your area. I've not even seen you perform, and I know we had our differences early on when I felt you were too negative, but since then I've seen how passionate you are about what you do and that goes a long way in my book. Keep up the good work!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I feel it makes a mockery of my contracts which is suppose to protect both parties.
    I think this sums things up with residencies. I lost one years ago by charging for a booking, even though they cancelled 4 hours before it started.

Not quite sure how this thread has gone off onto a tangent to multi-ops etc ??
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I think this sums things up with residencies. I lost one years ago by charging for a booking, even though they cancelled 4 hours before it started.
    It's not just residencies regarding DJs, it's a problem affecting many businesses who are faced with a 'buyers market'. I've always taken the pragmatic view, unless I was happy to lose any potential future work. I accept it can leave a bad taste in your mouth, but loosing a lot of lucrative work would leave a far worse one. A similar situation actually happened to me last week with a regular client facing considerable losses from a bonfire and fireworks event. Its been a regular booking for several years, but this year the ticket sales had bombed. I was a bit disappointed on missing out on anticipated income, but I had not actually lost money as I'd not declined any other bookings in order to fulfil this one, and I fully expect future bookings to continue as they have in the past. I would be even more cautious these days before going to litigation, with the rise of social media, a hard won reputation can easily be lost by the actions of a disgruntled client, it's not right, but it's a reality and needs to be considered.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I would be even more cautious these days before going to litigation, with the rise of social media, a hard won reputation can easily be lost by the actions of a disgruntled client, it's not right, but it's a reality and needs to be considered.
    Not only a consideration with residencies, sadly. I'm always wary of asking for reviews from clients when for five hours before the finish time I've been the best DJ they've ever seen ever, and thirty seconds later, when I won't play " one more" I'm .
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk