Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: December Cancellations

Default December Cancellations

Opinions please.

A venue we supply has cancelled 6 bookings in December. These are all contracted bookings and 3 are on Saturdays. Even though the bookings were confirmed, signed and contracted, they dont want to pay the cancellation fees involved and have made a thinly veiled threat that if I do charge, they might be looking elsewhere in the future.

I have tried to be flexible and not charge for 3 of them and this is a decent venue that does give me quite a lot of work. I feel it makes a mockery of my contracts which is suppose to protect both parties.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Opinions please.

A venue we supply has cancelled 6 bookings in December. These are all contracted bookings and 3 are on Saturdays. Even though the bookings were confirmed, signed and contracted, they dont want to pay the cancellation fees involved and have made a thinly veiled threat that if I do charge, they might be looking elsewhere in the future.

I have tried to be flexible and not charge for 3 of them and this is a decent venue that does give me quite a lot of work. I feel it makes a mockery of my contracts which is suppose to protect both parties.
    I'd tell them that you've been willing to give yourself a 50% haircut by not charging for three of the cancelled events but since they have demonstrated how much they value you, you'll be more than happy and be well within your right to charge them for all six and good luck to them on finding someone who will deliver the level of service that you do.

But then, I'm getting zero work in this situation so what I have got to lose?

I can only say that I had a residency in the past where there was a payment issue (they wanted to pay 120 days after the event). It got to the point where I walked away after fulfilling my already agreed obligations, but I did say that those obligations were under the old payment terms and if they try pulling that 120 day bull-bleep on me, I'll cancel the rest and nail them to the wall for breach of contract.

Guess who called me 9 months later like a crazy ex?

In this scenario, you're on a loser whichever way you go. It's up to you which loss bothers you least.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Opinions please.

Christmas parties aren't what they used to be. Venues are struggling to fill dates.

You'd probably find a cancellation fee hard to enforce anyway.

Plus there's an abundance of other suppliers who'll take on the work.

Cut your loses, move on, and retain the relationship.

Otherwise, someone else who is more flexible will be willing to take on the work.

That's the risk that comes in working in an industry that is over-supplied (sadly).

Tore up the first reply, figuratively speaking.

I'd be wary of them, because it's clear that your card is marked. Future negotiations will always have the " elephant in the room " of losing the contract, if you don't play by their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I'd tell them that you've been willing to give yourself a 50% haircut by not charging for three of the cancelled events but since they have demonstrated how much they value you, you'll be more than happy and be well within your right to charge them for all six and good luck to them on finding someone who will deliver the level of service that you do.

But then, I'm getting zero work in this situation so what I have got to lose?

In this scenario, you're on a loser whichever way you go. It's up to you which loss bothers you least.
    I'm with Benny on this.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

For the last couple of years I've had agents chasing me for Xmas work and for the last couple of years I've taken a moderate number of dates from them throughout November and December. Last year I had challenges though because I ended up paying other DJ's more than I was being paid to cover gigs that came in after I committed to the agency - and I had the added complication that a couple of the agencies' venues pulled a bunch of dates from them in early November leaving me with a few gaps in my calendar (that I did mostly fill).

This year I've only taken off peak dates from agencies (Thursdays and Sundays) and filled the remainder of my calendar with my own gigs. I'm fully expecting at least some of these to be pulled as Hotels around here are struggling to fill their Xmas parties (it's really cut-throat). Bearing in mind that I'm booked Tuesday to Sunday most weeks in December it'll actually be a relief if they do

Back to the OP - I'm afraid I agree with Benny. It's one of the bigger reasons I'm not interested in working directly with hotels.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Back to the OP - I'm afraid I agree with Benny. It's one of the bigger reasons I'm not interested in working directly with hotels.

Julian
    It was ever thus. The swings and roundabouts of ( theoretically ) constant guaranteed work, with possible cancellations versus taking your chance on the open market. One of our esteemed members on here, who I'm always happy to work for, is doubtless weighing up his options currently. Somehow, Hotels have a habit of delivering less than they promise, while often throwing in a curve ball or two.

I think I'm with Julian on this one.

Last year I had challenges though because I ended up paying other DJ's more than I was being paid to cover gigs that came in after I committed to the agency
    ]

Not much of a commitment!

Seems this 'lack of commitment' has become a 2 way street.

Reap what you sow and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    ]

Not much of a commitment!

Seems this 'lack of commitment' has become a 2 way street.

Reap what you sow and all that.
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, Gavin. I read it as Julian doing Agency gigs for £x, and paying Rodney's Reliable Discos £x+50 to cover the gig he would have had if he hadn't taken the low paying agency gig. Morally fine, if I'm right.

Last year I had challenges though because I ended up paying other DJ's more than I was being paid to cover gigs that came in after I committed to the agency

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, Gavin. I read it as Julian doing Agency gigs for £x, and paying Rodney's Reliable Discos £x+50 to cover the gig he would have had if he hadn't taken the low paying agency gig. Morally fine, if I'm right.
    Apologies if I've misinterpreted it!

Maybe one for another thread, but I don't understand this desire to act as a 'mini agency' when other gigs come in.

With me, if I'm booked, I'm booked - but will pass on details of other DJs to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Maybe one for another thread, but I don't understand this desire to act as a 'mini agency' when other gigs come in.

With me, if I'm booked, I'm booked - but will pass on details of other DJs to contact.
    Now we're on the same page. Gavin, I'm with you completely.

From what I can see, an awful lot of the " help, my DJ's cancelled five weeks/days/minutes before the gig" stem from Helpful Harry's Discos being fully booked for a date, but taking a deposit ( which they keep ) and hoping to pass it on to Ron's Reliable Discos at the balance price.
    I also suspect that since most of us are helpful types, we don't relish the prospect of a gig without a DJ, so we try our best to help a " friend in need ". Now whether the " friend " is in need of digging out of a hole entirely of his own making...............................