Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new knob!

Default I need a new knob!

I turned up to an event the other day and found my bass knob had been sheered off. I think this was from a house party and my inkling is that one of the drunk idiots surrounding my kit, when I had packed up sat on it (its on wheels) its fallen over on something? Can anyone suggest how and where I can fix this. I have not had time to look at it, but I have an LD dAVE 10 so may have a spare? I have mo issues doing this myself so any advice would be good. I intend to open it up tomorrow.

Hopefully its an easy fix?

Thanks

Name:  22815255_1666049733440312_5414025330774209493_n.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  28.1 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thank you Toby - I've just had to wipe a fine Merlot from my laptop screen and keyboard after reading the title of this post!

If you've got a spare knob, it should just be a case of using a pair of pliers to remove the remainder of the old knob (it'll be sitting on a knurled shaft), and replacing with said new knob.

Disclaimer.......you have no idea how hard it was not to insert double-entendres into that reply!

with 2 kids in such a short sp... oh wait.. different subject!

From the photo it looks like the shaft has been sheared right off! That means you'll likely have to replace the whole volume control. Potentially quite an easy fix once you get the box open but how easy depends on how the board with the volume control is populated.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 24-11-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Is it a knob you fiddle with ??

Being sub level control, could you not just get away with leaving it set at the level you use, or use a pair of pliers to turn it ocasionally.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

So its my knob shaft that needs looking at then? Lets hope its not too hard to do. My first priority is locating the dry ice delivery that did not turn up yesterday!! I used it in the same venue last week and used the Yamaha for bass control.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    So its my knob shaft that needs looking at then? Lets hope its not too hard to do. My first priority is locating the dry ice delivery that did not turn up yesterday!! I used it in the same venue last week and used the Yamaha for bass control.
    Dear me Toby, amidst all the " Carry On " humour afforded by your predicament, from the piccies you've given, I believe Wayne is spot on. It looks as if your Potentiometer adjustment control ( Knob for those with infantile minds in the gutter ) was in two parts. The outer plastic part, and an inner sleeve, which has splines to engage with the shaft of said Potentiometer./Variable Resistor. ( I don't know which is the correct technical term, there may be a hair or two to split here )

It appears that while the outer part has come off,the sleeve has remained in place, and that's the bit Wayne was suggesting you remove very carefully with pliers.
    You can carefully check the theory by removing another one for comparison.

This will allow you to replace the item with a new one. Don't throw the sleeve away, it will act as a pattern for when you wander into the Disco shop ( or Maplins, mayhap ) and send the staff into fits of giggles by repeating your plight to them.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 02-12-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Much as I hate disagreeing with you Peter I think if the photo was taken more at an angle it'd reveal very little if any of the volume pot's shaft protruding past the metal threaded section of the body. With some kinds of pot you can simply press the old shaft out from behind & fit a replacement from the front, snapping it into place & then press a new knob onto it. Alas, I fear Toby's shaft is one which is gripped inside the body of the pot by the teeth of a splined washer (I've seen a lot of severed knobs & shafts in my time -don't ask & I'll tell you nothing of them).

Let this be a lesson to us all. Don't let people sit on bins & play footsie with your protrusions.

As an addution to what Chris said though the control is still likely usable in its current state. An old trick TV repairmen of a certain calibre would employ in this situation... Heat the head of a screwdriver & melt a slot into the plastic rod of the shaft so said screwdriver can easily turn it...
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 25-11-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Much as I hate disagreeing with you Peter I think if the photo was taken more at an angle it'd reveal very little if any of the volume pot's shaft protruding past the metal threaded section of the body.
    Right, that's it! Toby, get your pliers and screwdriver out. We need to know the answer as soon as possible. Egg on face is at stake here.

The saga of Toby's knob could go viral!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

The saga of Toby's knob could go viral!!
    There are creams for that available over the counter at most good pharmacies. So I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    There are creams for that available over the counter at most good pharmacies. So I've heard.
    As much as it pains one of the forum's biggest Jesters to say this :
    Mod note to one and all: Let's try to avoid the Finbarr Saunders Book of Double Entendres please, as this isn't in Supporters. Thank you.