Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knowing when to stop sending chase up emails

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Knowing when to stop sending chase up emails

So I thought I'd look at the online directories and enquire about exhibiting at some wedding fairs outside of my usual venues. One particular event organiser has really put me off her events. How? Like so:

Thursday
    - I make the initial enquiry
    - First email with the all the details arrives at 1:26pm
    - Follow up email arrives at 7:36pm
    - Facebook message arrives at 7:38pm
    - I reply to the Facebook message saying that I am currently 'clocked off' for the day and I'll respond in due course

Saturday
    - Another follow up email at 2:29pm

Monday
    - Another follow up email at 10:42pm

Needless to say that say that this morning I've sent an email back saying that I've been put off now. Think that I'll stick to exhibiting at my usual venues.

And the award for the most amazing reply goes to...

Tee hee.

Benny, I can see that you and the young lady concerned in the exchange are desperately in need of a place on the Excalibur School of Tact and Discretion in business course. It's very reasonably priced, and designed to show you how to avoid such "handbags at twenty paces" scenarios. Never forget young Benny, that " politeness costs nothing", and "it's nice to be nice".

I would urge alacrity to sign up, as places are limited, and selling fast.

Older readers will already be thinking of the joke with the punchline " off, you red nosed clown".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Never forget young Benny, that " politeness costs nothing", and "it's nice to be nice".
    Where was I not polite or nice?

I think the wedding event person had it coming. Such desperate stalkery behaviour is pretty common out there. A customer of mine had their wedding featured in a magazine. Said mag ring me every day now. I've blocked their number rather than pick up & tell them what I think of them.

I wouldn't care but had they actually emailed their advertising offer outline to me like I'd suggested in the initial call I might well have been tempted to spend some money with them. No chance of that now!

To be honest, until the email reply I can’t see too much wrong with how they deal with it.

If you are interested in a service a quick response is needed before you lose the opportunity.

Thursday 1.26pm – most DJs (and wedding industry people) will be at work (their ‘real job’ lol) still so a follow up email in the evening could be what is needed to remind them. The Facebook message is useful incase the email has not been received.

Almost 48 hours elapses before the reminder, which is enough time if people are serious about something – I have started sending enquiry reminders after 48 hours and the reponse has been very good.

Another 48 hours and a final (maybe) reminder sent.

It takes seconds now for someone to reply to an email etc to say they are busy for a few days, but interested and will be back in touch. No reply causes reminders just to make sure the information is getting through.

As far their email reply – well that is a totally different ball game haha
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Where was I not polite or nice?
    There's another truism also, Benny.

" Never let the truth get in the way of a good story", or in my case:- joke.

Whatever you said ruffled her feathers a lot, and her reply ( which really leaves a lot to be desired) indicates that she at best found it a waste of her valuable time. If I'm absolutely serious ( a rare state of affairs, granted) I don't think your words have been impolite, or unduly abrupt.

I think the timing of her contact was the issue rather than the number of them.

After sending her first email on the Thursday, I wouldn't send a further follow up until the Monday.

After that I wouldn't follow up again for a few days - probably the Thurs (one week after the initial enquiry).

The wording that is used in the follow up is really important.

Keep going until you get a rejection, but be mindful of what you send and when. And that's where this company failed.

Had I received a Benny's email asking me to foxtrot oscar, I'd have responded apologising profusely and explaining that places were limited at the fair and there has been a lot of interest in the stands and didn't want him to miss out, but apologise if this came across as an aggressive number of emails and reassure Benny that we would take his feedback in to consideration for how we communicate in future with enquiries.

Hopefully that would have pacified Benny as a satisfactory conclusion. But sadly the response received was not good, as I can imagine the original follow up emails probably weren't worded very well either.

There is a way to follow up without sounding like you're hounding someone!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Had I received a Benny's email asking me to foxtrot oscar, I'd have responded apologising profusely and explaining that places were limited at the fair and there has been a lot of interest in the stands and didn't want him to miss out, but apologise if this came across as an aggressive number of emails and reassure Benny that we would take his feedback in to consideration for how we communicate in future with enquiries.

Hopefully that would have pacified Benny as a satisfactory conclusion.
    Give that man a coconut.

I'd be with Benny 100% in this. It infuriates me that people expect such quick decision making. Is this a new thing? I don't remember people being this impatient especially when you are the customer.

Fair enough if they're the client and they need an answer ASAP but I'd never pester a potential client like that, one email wait a few days, follow up wait few days try Facebook and leave it is my maximum acceptable pester level in this situation.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD