Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Coalville North- Mini speaker shootout!

Default Coalville North- Mini speaker shootout!

In a few minutes, I'm heading up to Aladdin's Other Cave, Aka Cumbria DJ store. Andy has some subs I'm interested in, and I've filled the van with an assortment of tops belonging to me, and Davesounds, to see what will work above them. Mixture of sizes, makes, cabinet materials and power sources. Full details tonight, hopefully. Our views on what we like or don't like will be objectively put here.

As a little teaser, there's a left field contender strongly tipped to make a good showing, from Bishop Sound. I've heard it already, and the Hughes boys are delighted with it. It's up against a class of the field model, and I'm telling you, there's not a lot in it. Tune in for tonight's gripping instalment.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Aaaaand?

What won? What have you now decided to buy and sell?

I always feel like I'm missing out when I read these threads with my 'suitable for all occasions' Evox 8 and 'background music' Maui 5 system!

My back shudders at the very thought of a sub!

Well, apologies for the late arrival, but I was tired after the driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Aaaaand?

What won? What have you now decided to buy and sell?
    Buy? A couple of dB 612 subs from Mr Neen, at a price I couldn't refuse. They've been on my wishlist for a long time. After a long conversation or two with the lad, I picked up a couple of s/h Yamaha DBR 10s from a Facebook link, who turned out to be someone we knew well. Andy was more than happy to take these for the shop if I wasn't happy, so I couldn't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I always feel like I'm missing out when I read these threads with my 'suitable for all occasions' Evox 8 and 'background music' Maui 5 system!

My back shudders at the very thought of a sub!
    You disingenuous person, you! You take subs to all your gigs!
    I know what you mean though, and that's why my Maui 11s do so much work. Exactly the same reason. The 612s carry like a suitcase, one top handle, and they're very manageable.

My cunning plan was to find something to go above the 612s to create a system between the Maui 11s, and the big LD 15" subs, whacking great amp, and 12" tops, preferably with tops which would do small gigs on their own where I was loath to take the Mauis.

So, having determined the subs, we needed to decide tops. The contenders were passive FBT J8s, passive 8" Dragon Spirits, a 10" passive Bishop cab, Yamaha DBR 10s, and Alto TS 210s. A couple of wild cards were set to make an appearance at some point, more of that later.

First up were the Jollys, and to be fair, for 8" cabs, they were simply brilliant. Very impressive. The Dragons were of a similar performance, as they're a wooden cab, and very well built. Surprisingly, the Bishop was a lot brighter, despite being a bigger driver. While it was more than acceptable for such a budget offering, it didn't pair up so well with the subs. That was a shame, as there was the option of picking up a couple on the way home.

Then came the Yamahas, and they were very nice, benefitting from the larger drivers. At that point, I'd decided they were going to fit in nicely with my plans. Then Andy made me look silly. I told him it was pointless running the Altos after them, as they'd be outclassed. Strangely, they really weren't. The difference was amazingly small.especially as I had owned some previously, and not been overly impressed. Time to eat 'umble pie for me.

So, it was clear that the difference between the least and the greatest was not a yawning gap, by any means. It was also clear that since I technically owned the Yamahas, they'd be going home with me, as a very versatile workhorse.

Then I made a mistake. I plugged one of my Stingers in above the subs. What a difference! Amazing, chalk and cheese. All of a sudden, the whole audio spectrum was there, and Andy owned some Yamahas!! We tried the same thing with some B-Hype 12s, and it wasn't the same at all.

So, big thanks to Andy for help, information, advice and coffee, not to mention the dB subs. It's my belief that nowadays, it's very easy to buy a PA system that sounds perfectly acceptable, as there's so much kit on the market of good quality.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk