Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Well that's stuffed it!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Well that's stuffed it!

This happened nearly three weeks ago now, but I wanted to find cover for my events and inform my clients of what's happened before writing up on here about it.

A few weeks ago, I arrived at one of my regular venues for a wedding and started loading in. In the process of unloading the van, I ended up falling victim to the most freakish of all accidents that ended up with me dislocating and fracturing two joints in my left ankle. While I didn’t know at the time how bad the injury was (in fact, the first time that I got a look at my ankle and foot pointing in the wrong direction was in the ambulance), I did know that as soon as I landed, I was out of the game.

I grabbed my phone and I started calling other DJs for help. About 10 minutes later, my other half - who was roadying for me on the night - went round to the staff and told them what was going on. When they came around, I got a telling off because I hadn't phoned an ambulance yet - I'd only been trying to find cover!

I phoned a mate of mine and while he wasn't able to do it, he did start sounding out his network. Between his network and my network, we found someone who could step in. Waiting for the ambulance was a 90 minute wait by the way, but I'm not complaining - it gave me time to find cover and since I was still there when the other DJ arrived, I was able to hand over everything to him. But in that time, my mate did help out in one way:

He drove to the venue, pulled out his phone to film me and started antagonising. Git.

(Said video will be online soon!)

I’ve had two operations on my left ankle now and as you can imagine, I can’t do any work for the next few weeks. Cover has been found for every event until I’m expected to be back on my feet and while all of my clients have been understanding of my situation and appreciative that I found a replacement, the conversation of “I’ve broken my ankle, but I have found you another DJ” never got easier. Everyone that I spoke to has been lovely about it and that just reaffirms my belief that I have the best clients in the world.

So now, when I get asked the question “What happens if you’re ill?”, I’m going to have to change my response. For nearly 19 years, I was bulletproof, and I would be there regardless of any circumstances - I once performed at a wedding with my head in a bucket (no, I wasn’t trying to be Marshmello – I was just very ill!) and when my parents sadly passed away, I had an event on that very night on both occasions. If those didn’t stop me, there isn’t going to be as lot out there that will. Despite that, I always had a Plan B, C & D, because I always work to a ‘Belts & Braces’ mentality and being prepared paid off big time.

So that's what's happened. I'm in a lot of pain, I'm missing out on about 8 weeks worth of work, but I do now have a blue cast with glitter on my left leg so, y'know, every cloud...

Get well soon Benny.

Whimsical Reply:
    Wimp! Real DJ's would get a roadie and a stick! Letting a little thing like a broken limb get in your way? Your fingers are still working to press the play buttons, after all.

Serious Reply:
    Ouch! Hope you're on the mend. Things like this make you realise how many good friends you have. My first gig back after my little procedure, I had two helpers loading kit in and out, one of which stayed the whole gig. Thanks again, Dave and Matthew. Also to all the other lads who covered work for me, Dave Jackson in particular. My daughter, who was in charge of the diary wondered if it was a cunning plan, so that all my mates were called Dave, and I could just tell customers " Dave will be doing your gig ".

All the best Benny, chin up mate. I saw the piccies, and it didn't look a lot of fun.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Cheers fellas.

As DJs, we are normally "Nah, that could never happen to me!". But the fact is, it can! Quite easily. No-one ever knows what's just around the corner. Whilst we can never truly plan for an accident, we can take steps to mitigate the effects and one of those, as you are already aware, was to get to know other DJs in your area who you may be able to call on for help if the worst does happen. That kind of thing is invaluable. Plus, you get to know which DJs you can trust with passing work on to and which you can't!

But another consideration in this scenario is how will you cope financially if you can't work? The money might stop coming in but the bills won't. So it's always worth looking in to a health care scheme or an accident / illness cover insurance policy. Some might see this an expense that we don't need to pay but you never think you'll need it until you actually do.

So, maybe your pain and suffering of the last few weeks might just prompt someone to looking in to ways they can better prepare themselves for the future. We're all here to learn from other's experiences, after all!

Anyway, get well soon. And leave those young nurses alone! We're not in 70s anymore!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post

But another consideration in this scenario is how will you cope financially if you can't work? The money might stop coming in but the bills won't. So it's always worth looking in to a health care scheme or an accident / illness cover insurance policy. Some might see this an expense that we don't need to pay but you never think you'll need it until you actually do.
    Wise words, Young Dazzy. Wise words.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Wise words, Young Dazzy. Wise words.
    Indeed - and now I'm about to become full-time it's something I'm looking into as we speak.

It's not only if YOU are unable to work. I recently (as some will know) had the situation where the dear lady wife had a completely out of the blue first ever seizure and couldn't be left alone - had I been relying on the disco for income we'd have been well and truly in the doo-doo for a little while!

I well remember making calls from the Coronary Care Unit at Doncaster Royal Infirmary one Friday after being hauled into A&E the previous night. Fortunately, I wasn't working that Friday, but had a Saturday and Sunday to cover. Cue loyal local DJs who dropped everything to stand in for me.

That gave me a bit of breathing space to get my wife to fetch the diary in the next day and I went right through the next 10 weeks.

The hotel manager was most grateful as he'd had a similar experience many years ago where the ill DJ just rang hom and said "you'll have to get someone for tonight and the next few weeks". He did that, plus someone else for the remainder of his time there!!