Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Yet another ( Yawn ) vaguely price related thread. Sorry.

  1. #1
    MDD Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Rotherham
    Age
    50
    Posts
    359

    Default Yet another ( Yawn ) vaguely price related thread. Sorry.

    Mod Note: As I can't bend time, I've got to interpolate the explanation in Edward's post, Sorry for that. To stop derailing a speaker thread, I've split it into a new one here.
    Excalibur, White haired Old Mod, still struggling with the buttons.



    I've not ended up with anything as yet

    Currently I cannot justify purchasing anything, tumble weeds around here work wise.

    I attended a family friends friends wedding recently as a TOG, the DJ was charging £20/hr !
    Last edited by Excalibur; 15-04-2019 at 09:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    I've not ended up with anything as yet

    Currently I cannot justify purchasing anything, tumble weeds around here work wise.
    It appears that the " bread and butter " work is mainly being filled by Sid. There's one locally on Facebook who isn't charging what I'd call a sensible price. Ironically, it's seemingly easier to get relatively well paid work, but there's not an abundance of that.

    What there is an abundance of is sub £120 gigs, and that's not viable.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    As to your sole system, you're fibbing. You forgot the esteemed Maui 5s.
    Ha! Yes, very true. Although that was purchased for wedding breakfast background music - and has only appeared at a couple of very small gigs as the 'main system'.

    But from a financial point of view, the Evox 8 (and similar) is ideal for weddings. I *could* get a bigger system for larger gigs, but if it's only 1 or 2 a year, it would end up costing me money. I just wouldn't get the money back that I'd invested in to speakers from a higher fee for those gigs (ironically, the 'larger' gigs often pay less than a wedding). Equally, I could take a sub and top in (more weight, more time and more cost) that would have a slightly better sound, but I wouldn't command any higher fee, and I can't see it achieving any greater satisfaction on the part of the client.

    I guess it comes down to what sort of person you are. I make no bones over my business being a business. My decisions are driven financially. And I appreciate that this industry is one of the rare industries where you also have people doing it as a hobby - or a varying degree of hobby/business mix.

    Without the hobby element, the industry would be in a very different place!

  4. #4
    MDD Supporter Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    It appears that the " bread and butter " work is mainly being filled by Sid. There's one locally on Facebook who isn't charging what I'd call a sensible price. Ironically, it's seemingly easier to get relatively well paid work, but there's not an abundance of that.

    What there is an abundance of is sub £120 gigs, and that's not viable.
    Can't disagree with that statement sadly.

    Whilst I'm starting to get enquiries again at the moment, a lot of them aren't going to pay my fee and as you've mentioned, the well paid ones do seem to be a little thinner on the ground than normal.

    I have venues slashing prices and complaining that they're quiet (one of them is even looking to diversify into being a general restaurant instead of just a wedding venue at the moment). It's a strange year

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Ha! Yes, very true. Although that was purchased for wedding breakfast background music - and has only appeared at a couple of very small gigs as the 'main system'.

    But from a financial point of view, the Evox 8 (and similar) is ideal for weddings. I *could* get a bigger system for larger gigs, but if it's only 1 or 2 a year, it would end up costing me money. I just wouldn't get the money back that I'd invested in to speakers from a higher fee for those gigs (ironically, the 'larger' gigs often pay less than a wedding). Equally, I could take a sub and top in (more weight, more time and more cost) that would have a slightly better sound, but I wouldn't command any higher fee, and I can't see it achieving any greater satisfaction on the part of the client.

    I guess it comes down to what sort of person you are. I make no bones over my business being a business. My decisions are driven financially. And I appreciate that this industry is one of the rare industries where you also have people doing it as a hobby - or a varying degree of hobby/business mix.

    Without the hobby element, the industry would be in a very different place!
    And this is how I'm now starting to think/operate.

    Whilst I've always run as a business to an extent, there's always been the flexibility to invest in "toys" because, well....I could. As of 5pm on Wednesday, this becomes my livlihood and I'm starting to look at things in a very different way.

    Luckily I got a good deal on the Evolves last year, I'm more than happy with them for 99.999% of gigs and they should last a good few years (they're never clipped or run into the danger zone). For anything bigger, I have the Yammy 8/12 combo and for ceremonies I have the Mauis, so pretty much covered all-round

  5. #5
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,558

    Default

    While I'm a very whimsical type of chap, every now and again, I take the tablets, and make a serious post. Brace yourselves.


    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

    I guess it comes down to what sort of person you are. I make no bones over my business being a business. My decisions are driven financially.
    Well done, that man. There is a saying that " if you find a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life", but that doesn't always hold up. Especially when it's a dead gig in a grotty WMC on a wet weekend in January.
    Sometimes, we envisage that we'll get lots of well paid work for that 6Kw, £6k 6 box rig, but it turns out that the truth is it goes out once in a blue moon, barely fits in the van, and is likely to give you a bad backi moving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    And I appreciate that this industry is one of the rare industries where you also have people doing it as a hobby - or a varying degree of hobby/business mix.

    Without the hobby element, the industry would be in a very different place!
    For good, and ill. Many of us, self included, came into the business as a hobby. Now it's a business, and a very important part of my income, I look at it very differently. There's an enquiry for a two hour job this Wednesday, and they've asked me to lower my less than exorbitant quote for cash, as they're a charity. I'd like the gig, but the cash doesn't make any difference, and it still costs me the same to drive to and from Harrogate.

    We're veering off topic here, so I may yet cut this bit loose, and start yet another price related thread somewhere. Who knows?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk


  6. #6
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,558

    Default Yet another ( Yawn ) vaguely price related thread. Sorry.

    There you are, the thread exists, jump in with your thoughts and ideas. Thanks.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 15-04-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk


  7. #7
    MDD Supporter Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,799

    Default

    If I learned anything at the recent pro mobile conference about getting what you're worth, it's not what you know as much as WHO you know that counts - and that's not exactly new information. Referrals, recommendations & having good relationships with related providers (not necessarily other djs) are key.

    The problem we perceive is that too many people just want as cheap as they can get. Not everybody does & the trick, as if there really is one is to get found by the people who appreciate value. What's the answer? Joining secret cabals or learning special handshakes? I'm not sure but there are many 'successful' DJs selling answers to this. One thing I am sure of is that there's no one size fits all, follow these 3 simple steps answers.

    Speaking of the PMC 2019, I spoke to too many folks there who seemed to be looking for a magic bullet. I hate to break it to everyone but there really isn't one. You can watch & absorb all the greatest seminar speakers in the world but none of them has all the answers. Indeed many of them got where they are today by being in the right place at the right time & even said as much (albeit in vague terms).

    I often ponder about such speakers & wonder how much of their quest to share is altruistic. Not much I expect. There are legions of DJs lining up to get suckered into 'get rich' mentoring schemes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I often ponder about such speakers & wonder how much of their quest to share is altruistic. Not much I expect. There are legions of DJs lining up to get suckered into 'get rich' mentoring schemes.
    The elephant in the room is that the session alone won't make a difference.

    Action has to be taken to achieve.

    Too many people attend and then don't do anything!

    Those who take action - consistently - after their learning are most likely to see the rewards.

  9. #9
    MDD Supporter Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    The elephant in the room is that the session alone won't make a difference.

    Action has to be taken to achieve.

    Too many people attend and then don't do anything!

    Those who take action - consistently - after their learning are most likely to see the rewards.


    I always come away from PMC thinking "what the heck!". And then I wait a couple of weeks, replay the sound recordings and ponder. There were actually some good ideas that came out of it (well...with exception to all the happy-clappy wellbeing stuff they seemed to have too much of this year for some reason).

    I've already implemented flavours of what was suggested in parts of PMC this year....and slowly but surely it's starting to work.

    The networking side is very important as well.....it's how I got to know the likes of Euan Bass, Roger Gregson and Nick Chatten who are now good friends and we share ideas between us (remember, this can be a very lonely life at times with big egos not prepared to share anything). The magic bullet on that part is that whilst they may be doing something different/better than me, to take those ideas and turn them into something that's unique to me.

  10. #10
    MDD Supporter Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    The elephant in the room is that the session alone won't make a difference.

    Action has to be taken to achieve.

    Too many people attend and then don't do anything!

    Those who take action - consistently - after their learning are most likely to see the rewards.
    I've implemented some things already for my existing bookings. Time will tell how everything pans out.

    The really annoying (and I mean it totally winds me up) thing about the PMC is all the negativity among djs I spoke to. "well that was an hour I'll never get back" etc then seeing the same people in the queue signing up for next year. Why all the forked tongue behaviour? I'd have enjoyed the conference more if there hadn't been so many DJs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •