Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grim

Default Grim

Does the forum get much use these days? I look in most days and rarely see any posts. The cost to run outweighs the use this place gets. Sadly I'm thinking it's maybe time to consider calling it a day.

The fact that this thread has had three views really says it all.

This place has been the most valuable resource I've ever found on the internet, and has introduced me to some wonderful friends. It's been clear for a long time that it's on borrowed time, and it's passing will leave a big hole in my life.

The irony is that the thing which has been the biggest factor in its demise, Facebook, seems to be populated largely by pondlife.

I will take this chance to thank two people immensely, Darren for having the desire to create something to help DJ's like myself to better themselves, and more recently, Shaun for all the unseen work he's been doing behind the scenes to keep it going as long as it has. Also, he has put up with me doing silly things, and asking silly questions. I think many of us owe Marc J a drink for his efforts here, too.

Enjoy it while it's still here. Ave Imperator*................................

* May have bent Rule 23 a bit there, but I think I got away with it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Make that 4 views (sorry - been out this morning).

I have to admit, it IS sadly getting quieter and it's demise will be a very sad day indeed
    I've met some awesome friends on here (virtually AND in real life).

As Peter mentions, the Book of Feaces seems to have taken over, and is unfortunately inhabited in the main by complete pond life.
    Maybe we can keep the MDD FB group going and use that instead?

Five.

I too have used MDD with much enjoymentand usefulness. How would I have otherwise met a very helpful Old Git who has become a valued friend and colleague and introduced me to several other DJs of similar mindset.

Indeed, only yesterday, we bumped into each other at Plaza, Leeds!

If there is a Facecloth MDD closed group, thenmayme it is time to slide gently across and allow the MDD that we know to pass away gracefully.

I've been a member of similar forums etc. in other lives and most of those have sunk without trace. A few just simply closed down without warning and ceased to exist.

Shame - but expected.

Found this forum very helpful over the years.

I'm a member of some DJ groups on FB and never post and very rarely comment due to a lot of members trying to be Alpha DJ with set-up's, opinions and anything in-between!

Is there not a free forum hosting service somewhere that can still show the helpful data/threads that are on here?
    Nathan.

Nothing has been decided or even discussed with the other owners of the forum. Just voicing my thoughts at this time. It'll be sad day if and when the place finally does close. So many have put a lot of time, blood, sweat and tears into it over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Nothing has been decided or even discussed with the other owners of the forum. Just voicing my thoughts at this time. It'll be sad day if and when the place finally does close. So many have put a lot of time, blood, sweat and tears into it over the years.
    As a wise old country singer said: " ya gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em*".
    We're not welcoming the end, Shaun, merely acknowledging the likelihood of its arrival. BTW, is there a closed MDD Facebook group that you lot haven't told me about?

* Kenny Rogers- The Gambler.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    BTW, is there a closed MDD Facebook group that you lot haven't told me about?

Yes! https://www.facebook.com/groups/62293539319/

Personally I would be really sad to see the forums demise, but with the best will in the world, it's looking increasingly inevitable. The one thing I've noticed, that doesn't appear to have been exploited, is the fact that Google seems to love it and has it extremely well indexed, Many times when I've made an industry related search, the MDD forum features prominently in the results, couldn't this be harnessed and monetised in some way to help fund the forum? It might even get more people on it.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Hang on... this thread has had a decent number of replies within a few hours!!

For me, it's the best quality debate and conversation I've found - and I quite like that it's a relatively small group. I know who I'm interacting with.

What are the costs of hosting? I can't see that this forum requires anything unrealistic in terms of hosting. I'm happy to look at providing hosting if it provides a lifeline to the forum...