Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Need something to drain residual voltage from an old school chaser

Threaded View

Default Need something to drain residual voltage from an old school chaser

Righty ho - this one follows on from a problem I had last night in the Good Gig Bad Gig section of these here fine boards.

I was out with the Retro setup, and regular followers will know the problems I've had in converting to LED lamps. In a nutshell, I HAVE to have an incandescant lamp on each channel to draw off the residual current from the chaser unit, otherwise the LEDs don't go off. Simple enough, everything is LED with the exception of my Infinity Tunnel....it sort of works.

Until that is, one of the incandescant bulbs goes pop as it appears to have done last night and you're in a venue with a bit of a sensitive consumer unit controlling the electricity. This in turn tripped the RCD on the stage and everything went very dark and quiet for about 10 mins until we could find the offending breaker/run an extension to the bar the other side of the hall....not ideal.

I know I could use my own RCD on the lighting side of things which would stop the dramatic "everything off" situation I suffered last night, but this would still mean the lighting going off until reset.

So, those of you with electronic type knowledge....is there some sort of circuit I can buy/build which I can stick into each channel to take the residual current but without the chance of going pop as old school lamps do, allowing me to convert ALL of the lamps to LED?

Ideally, it needs to suck the equivelent of a 25w lamp from each channel (because that's what's happening at the moment), and be something I can easily buy or build (I'm not an expert in electronics of this sort). I know I can build a board which takes an incandescant lamp hidden from view which Peter mentioned in the past, but I now want to get away from lamps altogether on this rig.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense?

Just a thought.... (and not being any sort of electronics expert I'm probably waaaay off the mark!)

Would something like this wired into the start of each channel do what I need?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 20-05-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Tidying.