Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Mic help

Default Feedback Mic help

Looking for some suggestions for a decent hand held radio mic resistent to feedback (if there is such a thing). The set up I currently have includes 2 RCF tops and 2 RCF bass cabs, however I constantly get feedback through my Shure SM58 despite tweaking the equaliser and always being behind the speakers. I know that bass bins should be further away from the set up but because I use poles to connect the bins to the tops, they sit to the side of my fold away booth and I dont want to change that and dont want to take so much bass out of my mic that I sound like im 12! Are there any radio mics that anyone can suggest that are great for vocals but goot for avoiding feedback. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by djderek1971 View Post
    Looking for some suggestions for a decent hand held radio mic resistent to feedback (if there is such a thing). The set up I currently have includes 2 RCF tops and 2 RCF bass cabs, however I constantly get feedback through my Shure SM58 despite tweaking the equaliser and always being behind the speakers. I know that bass bins should be further away from the set up but because I use poles to connect the bins to the tops, they sit to the side of my fold away booth and I dont want to change that and dont want to take so much bass out of my mic that I sound like im 12! Are there any radio mics that anyone can suggest that are great for vocals but goot for avoiding feedback. cheers
    What playout system / mixer are you using ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

What sort of feedback?

The frequency of the feedback will be very telling (ie a deep rumble or a high pitched squeel)

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

Hi
    I am using an Allen and Heath Zed FX12

I'm sure many of us were going to guess Denon MC 6000. That's a favourite for hot mic channels
    Quote Originally Posted by djderek1971 View Post
    Hi
    I am using an Allen and Heath Zed FX12
    Fine piece of kit, two questions:
    1) Are you running your mic(s) from the FX12?
    2) Have you got effects running on the mic channels? Excessive use of these is another good way to generate feedback.

As asked earlier, if the feedback is a rumble rather than screech, it's odds on for physical transmission up the mic stand. How many guesses did we get right?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm sure many of us were going to guess Denon MC 6000. That's a favourite for hot mic channels
    The voice of experience

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Fine piece of kit, two questions:
    1) Are you running your mic(s) from the FX12?
    2) Have you got effects running on the mic channels? Excessive use of these is another good way to generate feedback.

As asked earlier, if the feedback is a rumble rather than screech, it's odds on for physical transmission up the mic stand. How many guesses did we get right?

Yeah the feedback is a a rumble rather than a high pitch squeal! (im making the noise right now but cant think of a work to mimic it) lol
    I am using my mic in the FX 12 mixer but I get this with the effects off as well as on!

Is there a mixer with decent reverb effects that anyone can recommend. I need 3 mic channels, 1 input for laptop and 2 for L/R MP3 player.
    Last edited by djderek1971; 06-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Maybe a silly question but how high are you holding the mic ie are you sitting down ?
    A rumble in that situation sound like it is the bass bins giving the feedback - My RCFs are quite sensitive for that too. Are the speakers sounding ok when playing music ? Also how far apart are they, if the mic is being used at their 'sweet spot' (sorry can't remember the correct phrase) this can cause similar problems

How are you setting the level for the mic?

Try turning the gain down until this stops happening

You'll need to hold the mic very close to your mouth to get volume.

If you're holding the mic 6 inches away from your mouth then you will have feedback trying to get the gain you need.

Maybe a silly question but how high are you holding the mic ie are you sitting down ?
    A rumble in that situation sound like it is the bass bins giving the feedback - My RCFs are quite sensitive for that too. Are the speakers sounding ok when playing music ? Also how far apart are they, if the mic is being used at their 'sweet spot' (sorry can't remember the correct phrase) this can cause similar problems

I dont sit during gigs. always standing, but the music sounds fine. I have one of the fold down booths with the overhead lighting bar so the speakers sit either side of that and slightly infront of me, so maybe around 8/10 feet apart.