Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Mic help

You've got good quality kit, the only obvious things I can suggest at this distance are to try/borrow a different mic, particularly Sennheiser, or even SM58 Beta. Also, are you holding the mic, or using it in a stand? The vibrations from the subs may be travelling up the metal, and causing the problems.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Sm58s are quite poor at rejecting bass feedback compared to other mics I've used. Knock-off Sm58s even more so.. There are a lot of fakes out there today. I'm not casting aspersions here but are you sure it's a genuine Shure?

Things to try..

If you hold the mic in your hand, make sure you're not cupping the head (oooeerr) with your palm.. Blocking the rear vents of the mic head can really mess up feedback rejection..

Use the mic nice & close so you can reduce the channel gain if you don't already.

Try moving your speakers further apart or closer together in increments of 6 inches or so. When subs are placed apart, you can get 'nodes' where bass is louder or quieter depending on lateral distance... Move a bit to the left & some frequencies predominate while some are quieter.. Move a bit more & things swing the other way.

Also try using the mic closer to one speaker stack than the other.

Being close to walls can also bring issues with bass prominence, as can being in a corner so try to avoid being too close to walls if you can.

Oh & another thing... I tend not to leave any mic channel 'open' when it isn't being used. Any mic, when placed on a flat surface while its mixer channel is still 'on' can be a reliable source of that nasty low pitched "wuhhhhhhh" noise

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You've got good quality kit, the only obvious things I can suggest at this distance are to try/borrow a different mic, particularly Sennheiser, or even SM58 Beta. Also, are you holding the mic, or using it in a stand? The vibrations from the subs may be travelling up the metal, and causing the problems.

Thanks for that. I might try getting hold of a directional sennheiser mic and maybe also look at upgrading my mic cables. Will also try moving the bass cabs further away and using the tops on tripod stands to see if there is any difference. I would like a decent radio mic but dont want to invest until I know what is best suited to my gear. Thanks for the input

Ok I am getting somewhere. Set up out in my garage (never usually have the time) Feedback was awful down my SM58 even with no music playing. First thing I noticed is that handling the mic was coming through the sytem loudly. If I tap the metal casing down the side of the mic, it comes through the speakers clearly and when I handle it, the movement of my hand causes rumbling. I dug out an old cheap mic that I think I got free years ago as a deal with some Karaoke gear, guess what, no feedback. I could still hear the handling a bit as well but its a cheapo mic. With the cheap mic, having it switched on and the volume up but not speaking, I could hear a very slight buzz, so im thinking firstly a new cable required. But as far as the SM58 goes, is it gubbed and if so can anyone recommend what mic I could try next. Ideally I want a good quality radio mic but the set that gives 2 hand held mics so they can be used for Karaoke also. Either another Shure set or a Sennheisser? Only want handheld, no clip ons or headsets. Sorry that is about 10 questions in 1.

Can you clarify how you're holding it? How close to your mouth is the microphone you use?

Quote Originally Posted by djderek1971 View Post
    can anyone recommend what mic I could try next.
    I tested this out at BPM and was blown away by the sound quality for DJ use.

http://www.instruments4music.co.uk/v...e/27489_p.html

Holding it horizontally and practically touching the mouth. As I say, plugged in the cheapo mic and the feedback dissapeared. Pretty sure my SM58 should not make loud noises when handling it. Mic must be gubbed (Yes it is a genuine SM58 but had it a while)

Have been looking around and I am looking at 2 different Radio Mic sets. I want a Duel set so am pondering between Sennheiser XSW 1-825 Dual Handheld Set and Shure BLX288E/PG58-S8 Dual Handheld Wireless Microphone System

Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better all round mic. (I am just a little reserved about the Shure ones as the SM58 is the one causing me problems at the moment but I cant remember it always being like this which is why I am wondering if it is now faulty. I would appreciate any opinions on these sets or any other similar good quality duel radio systems as there seems to be very little in the way of reviews on these 2 sets. Thanks folks

You can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

Personally I've always preferred a wired mic for use behind the booth.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    You can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

Personally I've always preferred a wired mic for use behind the booth.
    Absolutely agree with both points, but I find a wired mic for the booth, and a dual radio kit gives the best of both worlds, and may only take two channels.

I have no experience of the two sets mentioned above, so can't give first hand advice, but I can suggest one I'm very happy with, the W Audio DTM duals. Bombproof so far, less dropout and better range than better names I've had. These are top of the range, I've heard good things about the cheaper ones, but can't speak from personal experience.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk