Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: I made my first video!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default I made my first video!

So a while ago, I had an idea to buy a GoPro. I thought to myself that every time I'm at a gig and I need a wee, I'll grab the GoPro and walk through the dancefloor and on the way back, do the same. That should get me 5 or 10 seconds of dancing footage (and several hours of weeing footage) and come the end of the year, enough for a compilation. Easy.

But I didn't feel that would give me value, so I pondered about what else I could do with said GoPro and I came up with an idea and started storyboarding in my head. The creative juices got flowing and after not too long, I had a plan in my head for a Vlog from start to end. That was enough for me to buy the GoPro (along with a lot of accessories, memory cards and extra batteries).

I filmed our trip to Gibraltar a few weeks ago and there is a big plot twist somewhere in there (with lots of hidden clues on the way). Now those that I am friends with on Facebook will know what the plot twist is, but I hope that it's still a nice moment.

I've never made a video before and I taught myself how to use Premiere Pro over the last 4 weeks via the school of YouTube (same as my photography) but even so, I am very proud of the finished product and I'd like to share it with you all. This has been an important project for me, not only because it really has challenged my learning on how to edit a Vlog, but the subject of the video is also incredibly important to me. If you have the patience to watch it, you'll understand why.

So if you're going to watch it, I'd grab a cuppa. It's not a 3-minute promo video, but I think that it may still hold your interest.

You already know what I think Benny but I'll say it here in public too..

I love it. Never mind a first video, it's brilliant. The clues were too deep for me until about half way but then I never was very good at the observation round in Michael Rodd's Screen Test (only people of a certain age will get that reference).

Audio could still be better in places where you're talking but not facing the camera but that's more a limitation of the gear. Besides, holding a gopro all day is one thing but being mic'd up is a whole other level.

As for the payoff.. I don't mind saying I got a lump in my throat. I hardly know ye, and yet I was moved so much.

Colour grading is a vast improvement on preview cuts & the areas that still could do with rebalancing are indoors in low light so not your fault directly (though maybe the gopro has better sensitivity in a lower framerate recording mode.. Would you need slow-mo in low light? Something to think about for future vids maybe).

It's obvious you planned most if not every shot in advance & the result is a well told story.

Well done for not falling into many of the traps newbie editors fall into - especially in not lathering every shot & transition with different effects. I really love your editing style - while not totally original it's very current & 'pro' looking.

Oh & well done for having the foresight to get an external mic with a 'dead cat' too. I think even you weren't anticipating being audible in all that Gibraltar windiness!

I can't add any more really except well done mate!
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 12-06-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks, Justin. I appreciate that you've put some real thought into that feedback.

I got food poisoning in Gibraltar

Congrats Benny

Thanks, Marc - I appreciate that.

Looks great mate, what framerate did you shoot that with?

I've been meaning to get lightroom for my photos for ages but sussed out with my *cough* educators discount *cough* I can get the whole adobe suite for under £17 a month and looking at your transitions, I could make my videos a million times better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Looks great mate, what framerate did you shoot that with?
    Thank Jim!

Pieces to camera/indoor/low light were shot 24fps. Slow B-Roll/outside when the sun was too bright was shot at 120fps.