Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An epiphany in the way I work

Default An epiphany in the way I work

OK - last night was the wedding reception I've dreamed of for a long time. Indeed, EVERY wedding I've done thus far this year has been such.

What's changed? A LOT!

As many of you probably know, I started out in this game back at the end of the 1980s when things were...well....different and Peter was still wearing short trousers!

* We were allowed to use the microphone
    * We were allowed to dictate the music policy for the evening
    * We were allowed to goad and taunt the guests
    * We were allowed to be HUMAN and not "let the music do the talking"

So....last night....I had an epiphany. It's been coming for a while to be honest, but it just "worked"

I came back into this little "hobby" (actually....it's now my full time job and it's hard work) back in 2012. I followed the "advice" of the gurus (many of them...and it cost me a lot of money for absolutely no return....and yes...MaBecca is one of those on the list).

Why?

Because I thought it'd make me stand out from the crowd. How wrong could I have been?

Last night (as with most of this year's weddings), I was "myself". Mistakes happened, the bride and groom had no real idea of the timeline despite a couple of meetings before the day (I worked damned hard to coordinate everything with the couple/togger/videographer on the night and it just WORKED), stutters and feedback occured during the speeches, mixes went wrong. Do you know what? Nobody other than me actually NOTICED.

In fact where things were obviously wrong...I made a joke of it, carried on, and lived!

I even stood outside of the marquee with the bride and groom having a crafty cigarette! (Oh how I miss the days of the ashtray on the table and "natural" smoke in the room!).

THEY WERE MORE THAN HAPPY WITH WHAT I WAS DOING...I WAS "ME"!

I didn't wear a suit! (shock...horror!). I wore black Chino's, my jazzy musical notes waistcoat (which got a LOT of comments and made me stand out for what I was...the entertainment and not a guest!), no tie, and Sketcher's walking boots (because I have planter facilitus and it HURTS LIKE HELL to stand up!)

I received praise, handshakes, fist-bumps and thanks galore at the end of the night....for being "me" and not some false alter-ego. In short...I entertained and was completely comfortable and at ease with what I did.

For an "evening only" gig...it was worth £650 (not starting a pricing war but.....). I worked damned hard for the money (it's my job after all) and I felt I earned every single penny and the bride and groom wouldn't argue with that (a lovely couple). In short...I've finally met my "avatars".

It's made me think a LOT about how I work moving forward (and I'll be honest...after last night I'm frazzled and should have been in bed hours ago....the joys of being self-employed!)

So, a lot of website changes coming, a lot of "being human" social media posts on the horizon....I'm going to be a "personality DJ" (eeeek!) as I used to be back in the day because there's only one me, and it seems to work!

Anyone else had this kind of experience in how they work?
    Last edited by Imagine; 17-06-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Heresy! Burn him!

OK, Whimsy over, be serious, Peter. First, let me say I don't agree with Wayne, shock horror!

Entirely.

Both Darren and I have been singing off the same hymnsheet for many a year in this respect, that it's good ( necessary? ) to have this in your repertoire. Now how much to use it, well that's the $64,000 question.

Where I will totally agree with Wayne, is that we're Entertainers, with a capital E. How we entertain, well that's another good question, but we must entertain somehow, or we will be ousted by ipods, bands with ipods/CD players and roadies, or even Spotify. That's how we justify our wages ( must just slot in the mandatory" Wayne, you'll never get that round here" ).

Wayne, I applaud you, a chat about this and much, much more is overdue.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 17-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I followed the "advice" of the gurus (many of them...and it cost me a lot of money for absolutely no return....and yes...MaBecca is one of those on the list).

Why?

Because I thought it'd make me stand out from the crowd. How wrong could I have been?
    Any training that says 'this is how you must do it' it wrong.

I've kept away from Marbecca - the concept never really appealed to me.

But my investmet in training has paid dividends.

The balance is taking the training as 'a way' of doing things, and seeing which elements can work for you or be adapted to work for you.

I've always had a more 'laid back' approach to what I do - I don't wear ties and certainly never a black tie dinner jacket outftit. It's just not me.

Equally, I've never been the 'comedian'. So I don't see myself as a 'wacky, funny' DJ, nor do I sell myself as a 'formal toastmaster'. I work with clients who want a laid-back relaxed feeling to their wedding. I just help guide everything along.

Equally, I believe there's a huge gap at the moment for 'wacky' and 'fun'. Personally, I feel everyone is being too serious. But 'wacky and fun' isn't a style that suits me, so I can't offer that.

I went to one training session that was more focussed on wacky and fun. Why would I go to something that's outside my style? Because there were elements I could take from that and adapt to my style.

Personally, I think a lot of the 'fun' from the 80s style of DJ'ing has been lost, and would now 'stand out' (for the right reasons) if packaged up and sold that way.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Any training that says 'this is how you must do it' it wrong.

I've kept away from Marbecca - the concept never really appealed to me.
    Nor I, but it was seen as "the thing to do" to be successful.

But my investmet in training has paid dividends.
    Certain training such as marketing yourself - completely agree.

I've always had a more 'laid back' approach to what I do - I don't wear ties and certainly never a black tie dinner jacket outftit. It's just not me.
    Nor me anymore. I used to wear a suit to weddings, complete with matching waistcoat and tie. This year I'm wearing an open necked shirt, a very trendy waistcoat covered in bright musical notes and black chinos. It's more comfortable to work in and as I've found out several times, people notice who/what I am (i.e I'm NOT a guest)

Equally, I've never been the 'comedian'. So I don't see myself as a 'wacky, funny' DJ, nor do I sell myself as a 'formal toastmaster'. I work with clients who want a laid-back relaxed feeling to their wedding. I just help guide everything along.
    Aaaand that's where I've been going wrong. I've been on several toastmaster type courses, all very formal and stuffy in the "this is how things are done and there's no exception" type of thing. That's not me, I've never felt comfortable doing it, and I'm not doing it anymore. I'm going to be "me"

Equally, I believe there's a huge gap at the moment for 'wacky' and 'fun'. Personally, I feel everyone is being too serious. But 'wacky and fun' isn't a style that suits me, so I can't offer that.
    I'll never be wacky - I'm too old for that one. I also think it's a bit cheesy. But yes, everyone you see online at the moment is taking things way too serious and I don't think it's what most brides and grooms are looking for. Yes, the high-end ones might be, my target market though certainly not.

Personally, I think a lot of the 'fun' from the 80s style of DJ'ing has been lost, and would now 'stand out' (for the right reasons) if packaged up and sold that way.
    Myself (and I know) a certain old git are going to agree with that. And I know you and I had a conversation about exactly that topic about 18 months ago, it's just taken this long for the penny to drop.

I'm not going for the "scream if you want to go faster" approach, far from it. But...the occasional jibe over the mic when someone stands out on the dance floor, the occasional shout out when you play a duff track that someone's requested, being completely informal with things like the introductions....that's EXACTLY where I'm heading.

Now....I just need to translate that into copy for my website

It's funny but last week the dm of a certain venue comped me to the last dj they saw - apparently I was 'very chatty' compared to him. That one didn't even introduce the cake cut or 1st dance!

I don't quite count myself in the 'let the music do the talking' camp but at the same time I'm no motormouth either (these days)... But CHATTY? CHATTY?!

I sometimes pass comment on things I see or partake in a little request shaming (for when they don't dance to their own request) & it really can add to the fun.

Anyway Wayne identifying your avatar is one thing. ATTRACTING them is quite another entirely.

Gavin - it's no surprise to me you've seen the value in transferable skills. A local branch of nadj had a kids entertainer workshop kinda thing ages ago & several well known local djs were there. The more shall we say, serious among them appear in the video looking very unimpressed - not realising of course they could've been learning new skills. The fools! Hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Gavin - it's no surprise to me you've seen the value in transferable skills. A local branch of nadj had a kids entertainer workshop kinda thing ages ago & several well known local djs were there. The more shall we say, serious among them appear in the video looking very unimpressed - not realising of course they could've been learning new skills. The fools! Hahahaha.
    Who would that be Justin ?
    From what I recall it was a great night and everyone took something away - even those who after the presentation said it reaffirmed why they do not do kids parties, however don't think anyone was unimpressed.

One of our most successful meetings which we are repeating soon.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

There's decent money to be made in kids parties if you can get enough of them and have the energy.
    You're also allowed to be a personality DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    There's decent money to be made in kids parties if you can get enough of them and have the energy.
    You're also allowed to be a personality DJ
    From my recollections, you end up being something totally different. It's not a word I can get past the forum censor.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Who would that be Justin ?
    From what I recall it was a great night and everyone took something away - even those who after the presentation said it reaffirmed why they do not do kids parties, however don't think anyone was unimpressed.

Oh just a handful of people who will remain nameless looked pretty non-plussed in the video. Of course all I have to go on was what was shown on camera. I distinctly remember seeing you throwing yourself into Gary's act with most of the others Chris - it looked like a lot of fun! Maybe it was the fact it was being videoed that made some look unimpressed. I think workshopping performance stuff like this could have payoffs for just about any DJ. This is one of the big issues outfits like NADJ are running into & I've often commented about it. "Meh, this doesn't apply to me" and "I've been in this game 30 years & I know everything". It's not only their loss - because when people stop attending in general we ALL lose something. It was definitely a huge factor in why I stepped out of the North East DJ Network. Well that & being one of only 2 willing contributors & the overriding feeling I was banging my head against a brick wall.

Re the videoing.. I remember at the pro mobile conf, I was chucking myself into the physical silliness with gusto but I suddenly felt very self-conscious when I saw some smirking bystanders videoing the proceedings - and these people are well known in the UK mobile sector. I'd have expected better of them TBH. And no, as far as I know they weren't part of the official media capture team. Being fair game for promotional purposes - we all signed up for that, but abstainers taking clips having a laugh at our expense? That just wasn't on IMHO & I now wish I'd said something about it at the time. It's really left a sour feeling on my part. I've actually thought about posting my thoughts on the PMC on here but I dunno.. I still feel like I got quite a lot out of it.

Anyway to get back on topic-ish.. there's definitely an impression among a lot of DJs that customers no longer want 'fun' DJs. I think the same as I always have.. people aren't always looking for the same thing & we can all bring different elements of performance together within the context of a party to help things along.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Anyway to get back on topic-ish.. there's definitely an impression among a lot of DJs that customers no longer want 'fun' DJs. I think the same as I always have.. people aren't always looking for the same thing & we can all bring different elements of performance together within the context of a party to help things along.
    Funnily enough, I'm getting a lot of customers recently, who give me the instruction " just play whatever makes people dance and enjoy themselves". A backlash from events with rigid playlists of decidedly dancefloor unfriendly stuff dictated by a client? " It's music that means a lot to me/us, so my friends will enjoy it". Yeah, right.

I've always subscribed to the theory that the disco world is cyclic, and maybe it's the season for Personality to come to the fore?