Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trololololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now Benny, perhaps your fame is spreading, and it's well known that you rock up with a six box, 5K Acme Earthquake Maker. It would be a shame for the band if that were to be out on hire that night, and you turned up with the reserve PA, a couple of QTX 10s.

Perhaps the band's enthusiasm for plugging into your rig would wane somewhat?

Peter! You are indeed quite wicked. I like this idea. A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

Peter! You are indeed quite wicked. I like this idea. A LOT.
    So do I.

BUT...whilst I have nothing against people plugging in so long as I'm in control of the levels.....let's think about things for a second.
    Yes, we're ALL there to make the night one to remember and should be working together....no problem there. BUT - the band are being paid to be there as well and as such, with the kit to be able to do their job.

Most of the time these people want to share kit because it makes THEIR lives easier. They get home quicker with less packing away. They have to bring less kit. It's not benefitting the party....it's benefitting THEM!

Maybe it's time to start discussing a dry-hire fee for them to plug into your PA

It's certainly something I'm considering adding to my contract (any third party wishing to connect to my PA systems will be charged at a rate of £XYZ to cover wear and tear). And yes, the £XYZ WILL be EXPENSIVE to deter such things happening!

#justsaying

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    So do I.

BUT...whilst I have nothing against people plugging in so long as I'm in control of the levels.....let's think about things for a second.
    Yes, we're ALL there to make the night one to remember and should be working together....no problem there. BUT - the band are being paid to be there as well and as such, with the kit to be able to do their job.

Most of the time these people want to share kit because it makes THEIR lives easier. They get home quicker with less packing away. They have to bring less kit. It's not benefitting the party....it's benefitting THEM!

Maybe it's time to start discussing a dry-hire fee for them to plug into your PA

It's certainly something I'm considering adding to my contract (any third party wishing to connect to my PA systems will be charged at a rate of £XYZ to cover wear and tear). And yes, the £XYZ WILL be EXPENSIVE to deter such things happening!

#justsaying
    Most of the time? Try all of the time - would you want to run through an inadequate system, say something used in a social club Sinatra tribute using an mp3 player for any reason other than laziness?

I've let family and / or friends of my clienta sing or run through my PA before in certain circumstances but a full blown professional band? They can do one and this is coming from someone who played in bands for YEARS before getting into the DJ game.

My go to response is something along the lines of: Thanks for reaching out (I wish more bands would do that!) Unfortunately my controller is a MIDI interface as opposed to a traditional mixer so it's not geared up to run a band through it (we'll ignore the numerous input options on the PA itself for the time being ). I can set up on a postage stamp but if you're concerned that space is going to be a real issue and you don't mind then I'd be glad to plug into your P.A. with you or a delegate controlling the levels of course - though I'm not particularly loud as DJs go anyway. Let me know your thoughts.

They're dealing with a Prestige level Machiavellian here - no half arsed band idiot is going to get one over on me

In some cases - mine particularly - space can be an issue & sharing PA, where possible can actually be a good idea - but it'd just be better if customers saw this & booked one or the other not both if space is that lacking.

Most bands I've met have been nice folks but OMG the ones who weren't I could write books about. I don't even want to breathe the same air as them let alone share PA.

Singers, family members doing a turn as favours.. I honestly don't mind opening a channel for them from time to time. But if they're pros charging pro fees they can blimmin well bring their own gear.

I've been lucky to never be asked by a band to share my pa - they've always brought their own.

But I won't share mine. What happens if they were to blow one of my speakers? With a live band setup, it just needs one thing to not be quite right and suddenly you've got a blown speaker. Why should I then pick up the bill for that?

Not a risk I'm prepared to take.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I've been lucky to never be asked by a band to share my pa - they've always brought their own.

But I won't share mine. What happens if they were to blow one of my speakers? With a live band setup, it just needs one thing to not be quite right and suddenly you've got a blown speaker. Why should I then pick up the bill for that?

Not a risk I'm prepared to take.
    Which is why I insist on being in control of their overall level. Whatever you choose it's your prerogative.

Now then... Sax players are a slightly different story. The ones who play along to DJs I mean, not the musical wallpaper variety. Surely it's always best for them to come out of the DJs sound system? hi