Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Bring Back Toby!

There. I said it and I meant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Bring Back Toby!
    Toby still "lurks".

But given his last few posts, I'd be uncomfortable seeing his return unless it came with a truckload of humble pie

Bring Back Toby!

There. I said it and I meant it.
    I'll pass on your love when I see him at ProMobile next month Benny

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I'll pass on your love when I see him at ProMobile next month Benny
    Is that in Solihull again? If so, would be nice to have a catch up.

Here's one that will be really unpopular, but one in response to seeing the whole 'Sole Traders Should Get SSP During The Corona Virus Outbreak' schtick that I've been seeing on Social Media:

In my opinion, Sole Traders shouldn't get SSP.

We all know that there is a steep downside to being a sole trader but to balance that off, there is a steep upside. As is with running our own business comes the responsibility of looking after ourselves both professionally and personally.
    The option to have income protection insurance for sole traders is out there. We all decided that we didn't want to work for someone else and as a result, we lose out on the benefits that comes with being employed in a 'proper job'. We, as Sole Traders, get so much that is a lot better than being employed and being responsible to ensure that we have measures in place for these sorts of occurrences is just part and parcel of our choices.

I didn't think that SSP existed anymore (as paid by HMRC), regardless of circumstances. I "employ" a number of people to look after my daughter and a few years ago one of them managed to accrue enough hours to get the right to sick pay, and then went off sick for almost 6 months. We had to pay SSP directly ourselves and that completely crippled our ability to hire a replacement and provide support for her (from memory it was literally a few weeks after the rules changed and SSP was dropped).

The current SSP rate is not a lot of money (£95/week - £2.375/hr based on a 40hr week) so it's almost not worth debating. Ask anyone who is self-employed and has had to try and survive on SMP (Maternity pay)...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

SSP is now paid by your employer, NOT HMRC (and employers aren't overly chuffed that they've now got to fork out from day one of calling in sick as opposed to day 4 - it's coming out of their bottom line).

The only time it's paid by HMRC is if an employer goes bust, when they then take over paying the entitlement.

I've been doing some reading up on this whole thing because, well yes I'm worried should we enter the Italian scenario where Force Majeure comes into play.

Apparently (and I honestly wasn't aware of these schemes and always thought that self employed lived off savings in these scenarios), there ARE insurance policies we can get to cover us. By all accounts, you won't be able to take a new policy now which covers Covid (or that's what I'm being told), but it's certainly something I'm going to be looking into for the future.

Apparently (and I honestly wasn't aware of these schemes and always thought that self employed lived off savings in these scenarios), there ARE insurance policies we can get to cover us. By all accounts, you won't be able to take a new policy now which covers Covid (or that's what I'm being told), but it's certainly something I'm going to be looking into for the future.
    I've got income protection insurance, have had for the last 17 years. IIRC it doesn't kick in until I've been unable to work for a month, though, so quite different from the SSP scenario!

SSP is now paid by your employer, NOT HMRC (and employers aren't overly chuffed that they've now got to fork out from day one of calling in sick as opposed to day 4 - it's coming out of their bottom line).

The only time it's paid by HMRC is if an employer goes bust, when they then take over paying the entitlement.

I've been doing some reading up on this whole thing because, well yes I'm worried should we enter the Italian scenario where Force Majeure comes into play.

I looked into policies a few years ago, but were so expensive and didn't kick in till after between a month and 3 months (longer for some) they just didn't seem worth it

Although I would benefit (maybe) I totally agree as think it would be impossible to govern and most people would take the p - we do not have bosses to encourage us back to work.

Also, there are many who are self employed but also have jobs.

End of the day, if this benefit did come in, it would have to be paid for in someway and Mr HMRC has already been very successful in emptying my bank account.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 09-03-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Merged posts
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Here's one that will be really unpopular, but one in response to seeing the whole 'Sole Traders Should Get SSP During The Corona Virus Outbreak' schtick that I've been seeing on Social Media:

We all know that there is a steep downside to being a sole trader but to balance that off, there is a steep upside. As is with running our own business comes the responsibility of looking after ourselves both professionally and personally.
    The option to have income protection insurance for sole traders is out there. We all decided that we didn't want to work for someone else and as a result, we lose out on the benefits that comes with being employed in a 'proper job'. We, as Sole Traders, get so much that is a lot better than being employed and being responsible to ensure that we have measures in place for these sorts of occurrences is just part and parcel of our choices.
    I'd counter that with self employed people don't get any of the security benefits of a "proper job". Pensions schemes, holiday pay, sick pay etc....

My personal preference is that the government provide interest free overdraft facilities for businesses for 12-18 months. They bailed the banks out making daft decisions while this is something that's totally out of our hands. I can see this being the final nail in the coffin for many business if there isn't any help provided.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk