Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupidity Level: Epic

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Stupidity Level: Epic

I was informed that a DJ was nice enough to pinch one of my photos and use it on his website. I had a look and started laughing, deciding not to bother sending a threatening email. Why?

Because this photo has my Liteconsole in it. That would be the Liteconsole with my branding plastered all over it. Idiot.

Brilliant! Ask him if he'll help promote other businesses on his website too.

Lets hope they don't do a bad job and you name/brand gets caught up in conversation.
    Nathan.

I've recently got my PfCO for drone filming and I'm really upping my game on that front. I hadn't really thought about it but the software I've just upgraded to today allows you to put in some pretty nice but subtle watermarks on it (which will also help with branding) and then I read this - a sign?

TBF it would be really easy for someone to pinch one of my videos and just cut the beginning and end then pass it off as their own as it currently stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I've recently got my PfCO for drone filming and I'm really upping my game on that front. I hadn't really thought about it but the software I've just upgraded to today allows you to put in some pretty nice but subtle watermarks on it (which will also help with branding) and then I read this - a sign?

TBF it would be really easy for someone to pinch one of my videos and just cut the beginning and end then pass it off as their own as it currently stands.
    What I sometimes do on vids I publish online is show a 'bug' in one corner that hopefully isn't obtrusive or small enough to be cropped out. It means I have to pass any clip through a proper video editing program though, which can be a bit of a pain sometimes - but it isn't hard to do. I use Sony Vegas movie Studio for my vids - all you need is an editor that allows you to overlay images on top of video. Here's a decent primer if this is news to you Jim https://www.videomaker.com/article/c...rmarking-video
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 16-09-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    What I sometimes do on vids I publish online is show a 'bug' in one corner that hopefully isn't obtrusive or small enough to be cropped out. It means I have to pass any clip through a proper video editing program though, which can be a bit of a pain sometimes - but it isn't hard to do. I use Sony Vegas movie Studio for my vids - all you need is an editor that allows you to overlay images on top of video. Here's a decent primer if this is news to you Jim https://www.videomaker.com/article/c...rmarking-video
    I do full blown edited videos so adding one to my template would take seconds

I'd never really considered it to be honest but I'm getting pretty good at really differentiating my videos from the run of the mill- drone footage, cinematic ratio, colour grading etc.. So I'm pretty sure at some point someone will steal one.

I'm not superstitious but this is very coincidental timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I do full blown edited videos so adding one to my template would take seconds

I'd never really considered it to be honest but I'm getting pretty good at really differentiating my videos from the run of the mill- drone footage, cinematic ratio, colour grading etc.. So I'm pretty sure at some point someone will steal one.

I'm not superstitious but this is very coincidental timing.
    Oops sorry if I was preaching to a convert there

I generally put the bug on its own layer if I bother at all now, then I can render 2 copies - one with bug for online videos & one without for my archive. Come to think, it must be almost new promo video making time..

Come to think, it must be almost new promo video making time..
    Dear Lord, but this technological age seems to require all sorts of things incidental to playing music. A prospective client asked if I had any videos of myself in action. Up to now I'd dismissed it, but perhaps it's a possibility?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Dear Lord, but this technological age seems to require all sorts of things incidental to playing music. A prospective client asked if I had any videos of myself in action. Up to now I'd dismissed it, but perhaps it's a possibility?

Do you not occasionally take videos at your gigs? I try to as much as possible & I've been lucky to catch some amazing dancefloor happenings. My standard contract states that customers give permission for me to take photos & video for promotional purposes but I'll be happy not to if they ask.

I often wonder, when many DJs only post their 'ready to go' pics what customers think. Most of my customers cite the 'evidence' I post as influencing their decision to book so I do it whenever I can.

Deciding what to post, and how to pitch it is still something I'm getting a handle on. I don't want to appear too typical, cheesy or monosyballic. "Oh look John this DJ filled the floor with proud Mary 8 at parties in a row! ".

See also, sometimes we can capture moments our customer will greatly treasure. Be on the lookout

Oh! I should maybe add here;

It doesn't have to look 'pro' in my opinion BUT... Audio if present should be clear & the pictures steady. I see DJs posting distorted, wobbly footage all the time. Often this is a function of the camera they're using. My last phone took lovely looking video but any music louder than a whisper sounded... Well just not like music & not the kind of advert any DJ needs.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 17-09-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Deciding what to post, and how to pitch it is still something I'm getting a handle on. I don't want to appear too typical, cheesy or monosyballic. "Oh look John this DJ filled the floor with proud Mary 8 at parties in a row! ".
    No, that DJ is called Chris and fills the floor with Proud Mary, Mr Brightside, Children of the Night and Sweet Caroline.

Guilty as charged

Something I need to try and change as must admit my FB page is getting very repetitive and predictable.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk