Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Just a quick one...

Default Just a quick one...

Afternoon all

Banging my head against the proverbial brick wall at the moment. I have one of the Equinox Micron cloths (white) which I retired a little while ago due to having LEDs out.

I've had the chance to take it all to bits this afternoon to have a look (it's eventually being re-purposed into the Rustic booth) and I've identified the culprits (just two but they affect an awful lot of others).

Anyone know what spec of LED I'm looking for? I can't see anything on the LEDs themselves, and hunting on line is drawing a complete blank at the moment

Contact prolight. They should be able to sell you some LEDs. Careful though, they charge a flat tenner plus VAT shipping if I remember right.

If you don't fancy paying those extortionate carriage fees though I'd probably verge on replacing ALL the LEDs with warm white ones for literally a few quid. You could get just about any cool white LED to replace the handful of duds you have & they'll work but you'll have no guarantee the colour will match.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Contact prolight. They should be able to sell you some LEDs. Careful though, they charge a flat tenner plus VAT shipping if I remember right.

If you don't fancy paying those extortionate carriage fees though I'd probably verge on replacing ALL the LEDs with warm white ones for literally a few quid. You could get just about any cool white LED to replace the handful of duds you have & they'll work but you'll have no guarantee the colour will match.
    You might have a plan there....I quite like the idea of converting to cool white instead of the stark bright white that's in there at the moment.

I'm assuming these would do the job? (In case it doesn't work, I'm looking at 100 of the warm white 5mm)

OK - cool white LEDs turned up today.....what a nightmare.

They DO look better than the stark blue/white of the originals...but...the wiring inside those star cloths is a complete rats nest to decode! All new LEDs, only HALF are lighting up!

I've done the shorting test on those that aren't working and resolved a few, but I still have an entire channel out (plus a couple of half channels).

It could be dodgy connections (these things aren't the best build in the world) and will check those with fresh eyeballs on the morn.

In the meantime.....does anyone know of any suitable LED star cloth type chaser/fade/S2L LED matrix's (preferably mains as opposed to battery)? I basically want something that "twinkles" during the wedding brekky and then will react to either S2L or DMX control during the evening.

The wiring in every cloth I've ever seen is the primary reason I refuse to buy into the starcloth thing. All the equinox ones are Jerry rigged. Soldered connections instead of crimped (you don't solder any wire that's gonna flex near the join if you want it to last), no discernable pattern to the hookup... (Inside their controllers, supply rail positive is both red AND black!)... In short they're just CRAP.

Your best bet might be to buy an led controller with say 4 channels & directly control it with dmx. Or.. at a push get a new cloth made, sorry.