A few years ago I got absolutely pumped with my tax and swore if it happened again that was me.

The past few years have been kinder but I've just finished this years return and I hope I'm wrong but I think this might be time for me to start winding down.

Due to general salary raises in teaching up here, every penny I earn from DJing now is in the 40% bracket. I'm also currently temporary promoted which won't help matters £ wise next year even though my DJ net amount is looking lower.

I hope I'm wrong but by my calculations , if I get taxed what I'm expecting, I'll make a profit of £178.59 per gig. That's not much more than a bawhair above what the non tax paying bams are going out for in ey pubs and clubs and is the amount of time and energy I put into the business worth that?

I hope I'm wrong because I love the game and doing what I do but I'm not altruistic about it and it's a business first and foremost- am I going to burst my pan 20+ hours per wedding throughout the year every year for about £9 an hour after tax...?

I had been vaguely considering moving into photography / videography in the next 5 years but if I'm spunking 40% against the wall of any profit before I've kicked a ball, that's a non-starter too.

Anyways, rant over.