Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CRAZY K SIGNING BACK IN FROM NORTHANTS WITH ALTO TS 112 PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Well I got the amp section dismantled, four more screws than anticipated and had to drill and hacksaw a slot in one screw as it would NOT turn
    ---aaargh Chinese Products.

Did my apprenticeship on this rubbish repairing cars in the 60s whilst enjoying the music of the era !!!!!!

Did a 12volt test and fan appears dead, going to my garage for a 12 volt double check.

Pic enclosed.

Are these likely to be standard size screw fixings and 12v with wattage 0.34amps ?

I will probably go to RS components and pick up at Counter in Corby to make sure.

Any advice on purchasing ?

Many thanks,

ALAN
    CRAZY K
    Right Alan you need a 12v 80 x 80 x 15mm fan, rated to spin at an airflow rate of at least 41.75 cubic feet per minute. The nearest RS stocks is 787-8945. The connections on this one are 3 wire but you'd ignore the yellow speed sensing wire. It should do the job okay - from my experience with Altos the fans don't run for long. One with lower airflow will likely run for longer is all & at any rate is better than a broken one!

Quote Originally Posted by Retrodisco View Post
    My Xlites are 3 years old now and 280 gigs in, and never a blip, I must be lucky. I never peak them though.
    Running them flat out doesn't seem to be the common denominator. They usually explode at idle or low volume levels

Default CRAZY K SIGNING BACK IN FROM NORTHANTS WITH ALTO TS 112 PROBLEM

Many thanks for that, one point is that the plastic connecting block of the existing arrangement has only 2 wires, black and red which connects of course to the main circuit board by push fit.

The new item appears to have no plug supplied but simply three wire ends.

How do I deal with this incompatibility?

I could cut and join the red and black wires to existing plug lead OR can I buy a two pin plug and attach two wires on the new fan to it.

I dont seem to be able to remove the existing black and red wires from the existing plug by pulling.

Are they soldered in place or is it a permanent factory plug.

Would another answer be to see if the DJ shop can get a direct replacement fan from their Alto dealers?

Many thanks,

ALAN
    CRAZY K

Just snip the old fan wires & join onto the new ones.

Snip old fan wires about 2 inches from the plug. Slip 3mm 2:1 ratio heatshrink over wires. Strip wires, then prepare new fan wiring. Cut back yellow wire & place heatshrink over the end. Shrink the heatshrink. Then strip red & black wires. Twist red wire from fan to red wire on old cable. Solder & slide heatshrink over then heat to shrink the heatshrink. Do the same with the black wires. Then you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

Snip old fan wires about 2 inches from the plug. Slip 3mm 2:1 ratio heatshrink over wires. Strip wires, then prepare new fan wiring. Cut back yellow wire & place heatshrink over the end. Shrink the heatshrink. Then strip red & black wires. Twist red wire from fan to red wire on old cable. Solder & slide heatshrink over then heat to shrink the heatshrink. Do the same with the black wires. Then you should be good to go.
    Great, dont have heatshrink but can make an effective safe join and blank off the yellow wire.

Will let you know when completed successfully,

Thanks again,

ALAN
    CRAZY K

Running them flat out doesn't seem to be the common denominator. They usually explode at idle or low volume levels
    I know one that self destructed when it wasn't switched on!! Still working when it was switched off, dead when turned back on two days later.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I know one that self destructed when it wasn't switched on!! Still working when it was switched off, dead when turned back on two days later.
    Just foibles of the design Peter. The warranty replacement of amp modules must be costing them dearly & their designers will likely have a fix in the works. If they know what's good for them

I'm testing a high power electronic switching doobrey at work at the moment & it's blown up a few times for seemingly innocent reasons but I suspect the heatsinking - namely insufficient contact between surfaces. The variations can't be measured with feeler guages and yet...

Post CRAZY K SIGNING BACK IN FROM NORTHANTS WITH ALTO TS 112 PROBLEM

DISASTER STRIKES.

Got my garage to do a proper 12 volt test, THE FAN WORKS FINE ----AAAARGH!!!!

Is it time to visit the Bonfire Tonight with the speaker---

I assume its something like the thermal cut out not working.

I suppose we could buy a second hand active speaker on ebay to replace it if necessary?

I can always use the remaining speaker as a Passive!!!!

These ALTOS were bought in July 2014 so not too bad I guess.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

thanks

ALAN
    CRAZY K