Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: CRAZY K SIGNING BACK IN FROM NORTHANTS WITH ALTO TS 112 PROBLEM

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DENFORD NORTHANTS
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,871

    Default CRAZY K SIGNING BACK IN FROM NORTHANTS WITH ALTO TS 112 PROBLEM

    Well hello again guys im still alive somehow despite going through a truly horrendous time for 18 months in the Divorce from Hell.

    I have kept in touch with Peter ( Excalibur) and of course Marc on the Web Sites.

    I hope you are all well on here.

    Cant talk about my activities presently however I could do with some assistance on powered speakers, im really a passive person with my Peavey UL15s and PRO 15s
    which unbelievably are still going strong after 10 and 15 years of punishment, just cannot blow them out !!!!!!!

    My current issue is my son at my suggestion invested for his Rodeo Bull business in some Alto TS112 powered speakers which to be fair have been pretty good, however on the last gig they cut out after a few hours and would only work for short periods before cutting out again.

    The operator believes its overheating and thinks the fan is not working.

    Question--are the Alto 112s easy to pull to bits and work on ?

    It looks like there are a lot of holding screws on the back panel and the fan is itself held by four screws.

    If its just a replacement fan looks reasonably simple but if its the thermal cut out then count me out!

    Then again my DJ shop were not certain if they could get spares--not good!

    Any advice gratefully accepted, and experience of a similar problem this speaker--

    ALAN
    CRAZY K

  2. #2
    Web Guru Marc J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Can't help with your issue but just to say - welcome back! Almost 3 years between posts - maybe a new record?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DENFORD NORTHANTS
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Can't help with your issue but just to say - welcome back! Almost 3 years between posts - maybe a new record?
    Iíve had a few set backs 😫

    But I like creating records 😀😀😀😀😀

    At least I came back.

    The Music kept me going.

    Any ideas from anyone before I head off to the Disco repair shop at huge cost 🥺

    CRAZY K

  4. #4
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Can't help with your issue but just to say - welcome back! Almost 3 years between posts - maybe a new record?
    I think we've had longer, but I'm not sure.
    Re Alto TS 112, November 5th is imminent. If Justin sees this, I'm sure he will concur.

    The original Alto 1 series were superb. They then made a 1 series Mk2 which wasn't. Then the 2 series came along, and they were adequate if not thrashed, but did not like abuse at all. It seems that the new 3 series are very good, and decent value, probably their best yet.

    I don't think you'll find spares easy to get for a 1 series, unless it's a generic part fitted to lots of other units.

    What would I recommend? Well these are getting very good reviews, and are in stock in York. You might perhaps be able to audition them closer to you. Keen price.

    Here are your Alto 3 series £50 each dearer than the Berrys.

    And of course, the RCF 312, loved by many a DJ. I currently have some smaller 7 series RCF, and love them to bits.

    Hope this helps. ( It may of course muddy the waters ).

    Edit: Avoid TX like the plague. It's a budget version of a budget speaker. Bad news.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 31-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  5. #5
    Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    The rear panel on Alto TS series cabs is a bit of a doddle to remove - just take all the screws out around the edges - they're all just normal posi ones. Now, be careful when lifting the amp plate out because there are cables running to the woofer & tweeter. Unplug the cables going to the speakers, noting which colours go where.

    Getting at the fan is fairly straightforward. Locate the red & black cable the fan is powered from & unplug it from the amplifier module. Make a careful note of where it plugs into. Then you can undo four little screws to remove the amplifier from the plate it's mounted on.. and then you should be able to get at the fan unhindered. It's a 60mm 12 volt fan & just about any of the same dimensions will do (I'd buy one from RS components if I were you, not ebay!). If you have a 12 volt power supply you can test the fan on, try that to determine if it's the problem.

    By the sounds of things, the fan not working is the most likely cause of your operator's woes.

    As for my views on Alto cabs.. the TS1xx series were amazingly good value for money if you treated them right. The woofers didn't like mechanical shocks & they sure as heck don't stand up to people running the cab on the limiter for long. With an upgraded driver from Blue Aran they can sound pretty punchy but the downside is a woofer with a decent power capacity weighs a darn sight more than the original factory fitted one. For a budget cab (I bought my TS115A ages ago for £400 including stands - the pair!) they're amazing. But are they GOOD? Hmmmm not really.

    I've kept my TS115As on as backup for my RCF HD12As - I sold my SRM450 mk1s on the day after the RCFs arrived. I'm planning to upgrade the woofers in the altos by the end of the year though, just so they can take a bit more POWAH

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DENFORD NORTHANTS
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,871

    Default

    Many thanks Peter, not too encouraging regarding Bonfire fodder😀😀😀😀😀😀

    We really live in a throwaway age, even for speakers which canít be more than 3 or 4 years old.

    Makes my Peavey Speakers look financially efficient although I havenít got more than 6 years out of a Chinese amp which drives them apart from the non Chinese made Peavey XR600F Made in the US of A.

    I am still running my 1970s H AND H MA 100 amp made in Cambridge.

    Oh well I guess the modern Chinese made stuff is cheap compared to an equivalent UK brand even if it doesnít last.

    Any other ideas welcomed,

    Best wishes,

    ALAN
    CRAZY K

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DENFORD NORTHANTS
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    The rear panel on Alto TS series cabs is a bit of a doddle to remove - just take all the screws out around the edges - they're all just normal posi ones. Now, be careful when lifting the amp plate out because there are cables running to the woofer & tweeter. Unplug the cables going to the speakers, noting which colours go where.

    Getting at the fan is fairly straightforward. Locate the red & black cable the fan is powered from & unplug it from the amplifier module. Make a careful note of where it plugs into. Then you can undo four little screws to remove the amplifier from the plate it's mounted on.. and then you should be able to get at the fan unhindered. It's a 60mm 12 volt fan & just about any of the same dimensions will do (I'd buy one from RS components if I were you, not ebay!). If you have a 12 volt power supply you can test the fan on, try that to determine if it's the problem.

    By the sounds of things, the fan not working is the most likely cause of your operator's woes.

    As for my views on Alto cabs.. the TS1xx series were amazingly good value for money if you treated them right. The woofers didn't like mechanical shocks & they sure as heck don't stand up to people running the cab on the limiter for long. With an upgraded driver from Blue Aran they can sound pretty punchy but the downside is a woofer with a decent power capacity weighs a darn sight more than the original factory fitted one. For a budget cab (I bought my TS115A ages ago for £400 including stands - the pair!) they're amazing. But are they GOOD? Hmmmm not really.

    I've kept my TS115As on as backup for my RCF HD12As - I sold my SRM450 mk1s on the day after the RCFs arrived. I'm planning to upgrade the woofers in the altos by the end of the year though, just so they can take a bit more POWAH
    Many thanks for that, my son does have the TS 115s as well.

    I have an Account with RS.

    Will have a go and see if fan is not working, glad I bought a new powered screwdiver looking all those screws on the backplate.

  8. #8
    Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Many thanks for that, my son does have the TS 115s as well.

    I have an Account with RS.

    Will have a go and see if fan is not working, glad I bought a new powered screwdiver looking all those screws on the backplate.
    Power screwdriver - fine for removing but probably not for replacing the screws unless you're careful with the torque

  9. #9
    Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Many thanks Peter, not too encouraging regarding Bonfire fodder

    We really live in a throwaway age, even for speakers which canít be more than 3 or 4 years old.

    Makes my Peavey Speakers look financially efficient although I havenít got more than 6 years out of a Chinese amp which drives them apart from the non Chinese made Peavey XR600F Made in the US of A.

    I am still running my 1970s H AND H MA 100 amp made in Cambridge.

    Oh well I guess the modern Chinese made stuff is cheap compared to an equivalent UK brand even if it doesnít last.

    Any other ideas welcomed,

    Best wishes,

    ALAN
    CRAZY K
    One reason we live in a throwaway age is that modern gear simply isn't as readily repairable as it used to be. Either it's put together in inscrutable ways (as most phones & tablets are now) or else you can't buy replacement components from reputable sources.

    I've had countless ADJ inno pocket fixtures on my bench for repair with exploded power supplies. I'm quite a dab hand fixing switch mode PSUs now but I tend to opt to swap a dud with a suitable equivalent & usually end up making a custom mounting plate for it. Some of the original ones just aren't worth fixing - the reason they failed in the first place is generally because the manufacturer took too many shortcuts. It's getting to be the same with active speakers now. Mackie, JBL, wharfdale, Ev & Yamaha spring to mind.

    Lots of my mates have had FBT cabs blow up, leading me to split the TLA thus:. EFFING BLOWN TRANSISTORS.

  10. #10
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

    I don't think you'll find spares easy to get for a 1 series, unless it's a generic part fitted to lots of other units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    It's a 60mm 12 volt fan & just about any of the same dimensions will do (I'd buy one from RS components if I were you, not ebay!). If you have a 12 volt power supply you can test the fan on, try that to determine if it's the problem.

    By the sounds of things, the fan not working is the most likely cause of your operator's woes.
    You will note that I tempered my prognostications of doom with the proviso that you could be lucky and fit a non OEM part. The bonus is that you may be able to actually upgrade the part by fitting a non original one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Power screwdriver - fine for removing but probably not for replacing the screws unless you're careful with the torque
    Or unless you understand what the numbers on the torque ring mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

    Lots of my mates have had FBT cabs blow up, leading me to split the TLA thus:. EFFING BLOWN TRANSISTORS.
    Ooooh Justin! How can you say that? You'll have the fanboys up in arms. Don't you know how reliable* and superb they are?

    * Mind you perhaps " reliable" isn't a suitable adjective for a three year old bass bin that's on its third amp module, and second driver. Its most impressive trick was blowing an amp when it wasn't even powered on! Yes Justin, I too know of FBT cabs which have been less than bulletproof.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •