Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: What should the site name / URL be?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mobile Disco Directory - mobilediscodirectory.co.uk / .uk

3 18.75%
  • Mobile Disco Forum - mobilediscoforum.co.uk / .uk

3 18.75%
  • Mobile DJ Forum - mobiledjforum.co.uk / .uk

10 62.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Aloud - Possible Forum Name Change?

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    IMO mobiledjforum is a tad too close to mobiledjforums

For as long as I can remember I've known this place as MDD Forum - obviously the second 'D' originally was for 'Directory' but then people still say "PIN Number" and "PAT Testing" so why not go with mddforum.co.uk?

Just my 2p.

Otherwise I have no preference.

Unsurprisingly, young Vectis talks a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I can't offer anything better than suggesting staying as we are,for the time being.

Marc, is " thelastbastionoftastedecencyandgrammartosurvivethe onslaughtofbloodyfacebook.com " still available?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    For as long as I can remember I've known this place as MDD Forum - obviously the second 'D' originally was for 'Directory' but then people still say "PIN Number" and "PAT Testing" so why not go with mddforum.co.uk?
    Except a like-for-like comparison with "PIN Number" and "PAT Testing" would be "MDD Directory", which is what we're trying to move away from

Seriously, though, you raise a good point. Some traffic comes from searches for "MDD Forum". Maybe we should keep the directory after all, or some kind of tie-in with an existing one...

Also, MDD does sound better than MDF, which is kinda wooden lol!

I still think the name might have to change if we drop the directory, though...
    Last edited by Marc J; 14-11-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

Well since we're a music related enterprise, it can only be:

The Forum formerly known as............................................
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well since we're a music related enterprise, it can only be:

The Forum formerly known as............................................
    Sorry to disappoint, but you can't have symbols in domain names*

* - not strictly true but to all intents and purposes for your average Westerner this can be regarded as fact

Also, MDD does sound better than MDF, which is kinda wooden lol!

Well if you made it MDF we'd get all the people Hawking shonky LOVE letters coming in...

This crosses over with another post about SEO, but I should point out that if you do change the forum, it'd be nice if you did it in a way that maintained it's reputation with Google (it's pretty highly rated, probably because it's contains a lot of industry specific quality content).

Just thinking, if you change domains, flipped the software to something else and kept the posts, Google will probably miss the link, treat it as copied content and rate it down?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    This crosses over with another post about SEO, but I should point out that if you do change the forum, it'd be nice if you did it in a way that maintained it's reputation with Google (it's pretty highly rated, probably because it's contains a lot of industry specific quality content).

Just thinking, if you change domains, flipped the software to something else and kept the posts, Google will probably miss the link, treat it as copied content and rate it down?
    While it could be done all at once, I'd likely do each change separately. Each time there'd be 301 redirects put in place, and if done separately probably about 6 months in between stages, to let things settle. Any old URLs will always be redirected to the same content at the new location, and the 301 code tells Google that the content has moved and to update their index accordingly.
    Last edited by Marc J; 16-11-2019 at 01:30 PM.

While it could be done all at once, I'd likely do each change separately. Each time there'd be 301 redirects put in place, and if done separately probably about 6 months in between stages, to let things settle. Any old URLs will always be redirected to the same content at the new location, and the 301 code tells Google that the content has moved and to update their index accordingly.
    There's a man who's in control of his SEO

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

OK, I had a look at the directory and it turns out it's not quite as broken as I thought it was. I fixed a few issues and it still needs a lot of work if it's to be kept, including a complete redesign.

Still thinking aloud, even if the directory part of the site were to be kept, it'd still be beneficial to separate the two both from a management and security perspective. So, www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk would be just the directory, and (for example) www.mobilediscoforum.co.uk would be just the forum, with links between the two as they are now.

Or would that be confusing for visitors?
    Last edited by Marc J; 17-11-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Or would that be confusing for visitors?
    I always thought the link between the directory and the forum was odd. The directory was always secondary to me.