Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: 3rd nomination in a row

Default 3rd nomination in a row

For the Scottish Wedding Awards.

2018 - Highly Commended
    2019 - Winner
    2020 -

Must be doing something right with those ABBA mp3s

Congrats Jim, and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    For the Scottish Wedding Awards.

2018 - Highly Commended
    2019 - Winner
    2020 -

Must be doing something right with those ABBA mp3s
    I don't know how the Scottish Awards are run, but I'm guessing they're not anything like the ones from the South end of the country where you get nominated if you pay to be enter.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I don't know how the Scottish Awards are run, but I'm guessing they're not anything like the ones from the South end of the country where you get nominated if you pay to be enter.

Julian
    Julian, I so hope that in these days of being careful to avoid racial and ethnic stereotyping, you're not implying that our fine Scottish friends are " careful with the bawbees", or unduly fiscally prudent! As a Yorkshireman, I've found the Scots to have an almost reckless attitude to money.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I know for a fact that the "best chip shop in Edinburgh" award is a similar operation. My local, widely known, unofficially, as the best, told me as much when I asked them why they're not on the list. He just laughed and said "because I refused to pay them"

Julian
    Sorry if that came out as overly cynical... regardless of the way the awards operate, it's great to have your efforts recognised and even better if direct feedback from your customers has played a part in that recognition
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

Bugger - I didn't even get a mention in my awards ceremony tonight (I'm slipping)

There's a LOT of cynicism about awards, and I really DO get both sides of the story. I also pick those that I enter very carefully because I believe they should be worth something.

Yes, I have to pay. BUT, what I pay covers the cost of the gala presentation (it's a lavish affair and I know the people involved....it's certainly NOT a massive profit making operation). It also covers the promotion, the administration, the cost of the awards themselves, the entertainment, the food, the venue....

There certainly ARE those that are out to make money from such events, and I avoid those like the plague.

HOWEVER....there are two very distinct ways to look at wedding awards.

1. The negative "you have to pay to win" and it's all about the number of "likes" you get, or
    2. OK - I won something, now let's use this as an absolute gem of a marketing tool!

FWIW, the award scheme I enter every year is based on a LOT more than the amount of feedback you get. They make fake enquiries to test customer service, test your social media interaction, go into depth into the way you operate as a business....it's a lot of work and the winners really DO deserve the accolade.

Brides and grooms aren't necessarily aware of how these things work from experience. But when they're trying to compare DJ A against DJ B and DJ A has awards whilst DJ B doesn't...it can be a deciding factor.

To my knowledge this is the only awards up here that is free to attend though I do need to buy a ticket if I take my wife... Its definitely not a 'buy a table and we' ll see you right' type of deal, in fact my pal won the overall award in 2018 and he wasn't even at the ceremony.

And yes, brides do like an award winning DJ, even if it is one of the more sketchy events.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

HOWEVER....there are two very distinct ways to look at wedding awards.

1. The negative "you have to pay to win" and it's all about the number of "likes" you get, or
    2. OK - I won something, now let's use this as an absolute gem of a marketing tool!

FWIW, the award scheme I enter every year is based on a LOT more than the amount of feedback you get. They make fake enquiries to test customer service, test your social media interaction, go into depth into the way you operate as a business....it's a lot of work and the winners really DO deserve the accolade.

Brides and grooms aren't necessarily aware of how these things work from experience. But when they're trying to compare DJ A against DJ B and DJ A has awards whilst DJ B doesn't...it can be a deciding factor.
    I actually disagree a bit here.

I have won the North of England Wedding Awards for the past 2 years running. Don't pay to enter and the winner is decided purely on past couples - not fb friends etc and the quantity of votes has no bearing on the winner. The first year I won I didn't even attend the awards ceremony so cost me a grand total of £0 and had a nice award to show for it.

You do get bragging rights on social media, but this is about as far as it goes. Speaking to other suppliers who have won various awards they all come to similar conclusions - they make sod all difference to couples looking for a supplier.

In fact at wedding fayres etc, I now only advertise this years award and not both. Reason is, people automatically think you are going to be expensive, conversations with couples now very quickly have to turn to price. The other factor is there are so many awards and Joe Public doesn't know the difference so it makes them all worthless. Being a multi award winner certainly doesn't bring me any extra work.

From a marketing point of view they are good, even the ones you pay aren't overly expensive. The main benefit though is gaining the customer feedback which for me is totally different from what I normally receive and as business development this is invaluable.

This year I have kept my feedback secret from public view because some of the things mentioned really were gems. Bragging mode on - compared to the usual feedback DJs get, from what was wrote in my awards feedback it is plain to see why I won
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I've entered one this year for the first time - but it's a fixed entrance fee (regardless of the outcome) with no additional cost to attend the award ceremony and it's a reasonable amount so I'm reasonably comfortable about the evaluation process.

One of the local awards is free to enter and a few £100 to go to the award ceremony. You have to be shortlisted to be invited to attend, but if you attend the awards you are guaranteed to either be the winner or "highly commended" in your category. It's awards that operate like this that I'm more cynical about - despite their proclaimed support for local charities.

The sheer quantity of awards available has diluted the meaning of them. It's a nice badge to have, but it's now too confusing for Joe Public to know which ones carry any real weight.

Julian