Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Starburst master/slave problem

Default Starburst master/slave problem

Hi All
    Am I missing something?
    My 2 Starbursts work perfectly as individuals and I can control them together with an Obey 40 but I cannot figure out the master/slave setup.
    I tried setting Starburst 1 to Master and connecting DMX cable from its output to Starburst 2's DMX input.
    I set Starburst to slave (i've tried sl1 and sl2)
    I then chose a programme on Starburst 1 - sound to light, auto show or manual. None get a reaction from Starburst 2
    I have tried different DMX cables. I have tried reversing the order so that Starburst 1 is slave and Starburst 2 master (changing the dmx cable ports accordingly).
    I feel I must be missing something obvious.
    You're suggestions would be most welcome.

From what you say, it seems you have done everything right. Only thing that sometimes happens is that the Enter button needs to be pressed an extra time, to actually confirm the setting.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks Excalibur - will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    From what you say, it seems you have done everything right. Only thing that sometimes happens is that the Enter button needs to be pressed an extra time, to actually confirm the setting.
    Or even held for a few seconds I have found
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

After much trial & error I have found that the solution is to set one Starburst to master and press enter so that when you go back into the 'slnd' setting in indicates that is has remembered the setting by showing 'mast'.
    Then set the other Starburst to either sl1 or sl2 and follow the same procedure to check it has remembered that it is a slave.
    Finally go into 'slnd' on both Starbursts at the same time, check that one is indicating 'mast' and one indicating 'sl1' or 'sl2' then don't press anything for a few seconds.
    The units seem to talk to each other at this stage and establish their relationship.
    Finally set the master unit to 'shnd' and it should run both units.

Incidentally in 'sl2' there seems to be some inconsistency in the pairing of the 2 units.
    Sometime they run in opposite directions, sometimes not.
    Sometimes they show the same colour and sometimes not.

Anyway...off to look at a Swarm FX Wash as recommended by Imagine of this parish.

Thanks to all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudswiper View Post
    After much trial & error I have found that the solution is to set one Starburst to master and press enter so that when you go back into the 'slnd' setting in indicates that is has remembered the setting by showing 'mast'.
    Then set the other Starburst to either sl1 or sl2 and follow the same procedure to check it has remembered that it is a slave.
    Finally go into 'slnd' on both Starbursts at the same time, check that one is indicating 'mast' and one indicating 'sl1' or 'sl2' then don't press anything for a few seconds.
    The units seem to talk to each other at this stage and establish their relationship.
    Finally set the master unit to 'shnd' and it should run both units.

Incidentally in 'sl2' there seems to be some inconsistency in the pairing of the 2 units.
    Sometime they run in opposite directions, sometimes not.
    Sometimes they show the same colour and sometimes not.

Anyway...off to look at a Swarm FX Wash as recommended by Imagine of this parish.

Thanks to all for your input.
    SL 2 is designed not to copy the master exactly, but do " the same, but different ".The current owner of my old Cheetahs is a big fan of SL2 mode.

Biggest downside of the Swarm Wash in my book, after price, is the large number of DMX channels needed.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Smile

Thanks Excalibur

" the same, but different " pretty much covers the behaviour they display!

Regarding the Swarm Wash - as yet I haven't taken the full dmx plunge.
    I'll use it for simple master/slave linking pairs of lights but I'm still not sure which hardware/software combo would suit me.
    So...currently fixtures are switched on and off with remote mains switching and rely on s/l or auto show.
    Not perfect but good enough for now.
    As many have observed we can spend hours perfecting our sound and light but so often the punters don't notice the subtlety.