Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: How much is enough?

Default How much is enough?

Inspired by Wayne's search for a small, portable, quick rig, and Gavin's assertion that some people have taken this quest to absurd levels, I ask the question- How much is enough?

My smallest rig is likely to be a micron booth, one or two Maui 11 speakers, and four lights on poles. I have never felt that I've short changed anyone with this, particularly since what could be called a large rig might only differ by having a full size booth.

The next step up merely has a bigger PA, with subs and tops, so not a vast difference. I'd have to put the crossbar on the poles to increase the light show, and that doesn't tend to happen a lot. Once upon a time, a wedding disco might only have had two speakers and a Thomann Powerbar, and we all thought that was fine at the time.

So folks, the floor is yours. How much kit do you have to take with you to justify taking the money? And let's widen the debate to ask if you can charge more money for more kit, with the proviso that I'm not talking more work, ie Karaoke, uplighting, projection, etc. Away you go.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

As I inspired this thread...

I'm not a fan of the *big* rig, unless it's done properly, in the right environment (and by that I mean a truss system with moving heads around a dancefloor that can hold 100+ people).

The main focus is a rig that is tidy and functional.

For me, it's all about versatility. I've always wanted to be able to provide a variety of 'looks' from the least amount of lights.

I'm on my third 'setup' (mainly light adjustments), and now have one that is portable enough yet still versatile. In essence, a smaller version of what I previously had.

So wash and effects are my aims. So I have 2 x wash lights and 2 x moving heads that have gobos in them. All DMX'd up.

My 'ultra compact' setup replaces the lights with one a budget version of a Gig Bar - gives some basic wash and effects (flashing lights) and works well in the few occasions I've needed them.

I'm not a believer that more lights/speakers makes any difference to the fee at the 'standard' level. But of course, that comes in to play when things like the guest count is higher, and a sound and light system that is well above the average size is required.

On that note, apart from the Gig Bar style light, I effectively operate one set up. I've not gone down the route of lots of different kit for different occassions, as I'd rather just take on the one type of event - weddings for people with 60 - 150 guests.

My rig stays pretty much the same in terms of lights for every gig I do. Aside from uplighting the rig consists of 2 bright wash lights & 4 movers with gobos. If I'm in a big venue needing to cover a wider area I opt to put the lights on gravity poles with equinox quadpix mounted vertically. It doesn't look like much gear but by God it does a decent job.

I've never felt the need to stack fixtures to justify anything. I adapt my rig to the venue not the fee. My last private customer was gobsmacked (in a good way) about how elegant my rig was & what I can do with it.

I'd love to be able to shove a gigbar up & call it done.. but something stops me - pride I think. So it takes me 30 minutes to set up instead of 15 or less. Who cares? If a venue can't clear a room quickly enough to allow me my 30 minutes that's not MY fault.

All this said, in the past when I've been on with a band with space at a premium I've worked with just wash.. and not a soul commented or complained about a lack of flashing coloured splodges!

Now .. what other people do.. Hmmm.. I've seen one DJ from North of me.. his 'mega hoopla big kahuna' disco package features no less than TWENTY (20!) lights (pictured in the emails he sends out) that look very much like Swarms. Arghhh.. my eyes!!
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 18-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Mine actually varies, but stays the same (sort of).

I have very distinctive "looks" which I market, from Retro to Rustic. That said, I don't charge more for more lights once you get past my budget offering (which has NEVER been out because it's only £50 cheaper than the other setups.....it's a psychological thing ).

I base my lighting on the size/style of the venue/function - I'd rather be out there looking professional rather than over/under cooking things, hence my post about replacing the Gigbars. I've done some huge marquees this year where the standard Wash FX2's don't come anywhere near cutting the mustard (hence the upgrade to the ADJ Dotz Matrixes). The Intimidator 305s go to every wedding regardless, but won't be going out on adult birthdays and kids parties anymore because.....well they're expensive and fragile.

I've done very small weddings where the client actually specified they didn't want much in the way of lighting, so used a pair of ADJ Panels (it was a small venue so they worked perfectly).

And of course I have the white lighting/poles/cables.

As a general rule though, it's normally 4 fixtures up top (depending on the size of the venue) and a batten behind/in front of the booth depending on where I am. I may occasionally use PARS pointing up behind me as well if I think it's going to improve the look.

I can and do increase the size of the rig with things like Freedom sticks (when I can be bothered....straightening 8 of them up is a faff), and the LED LOVE letters (which are going out less and less these days....probably because I've started charging for them)