Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Features Added - Action Recommended

Exclamation New Features Added - Action Recommended

I've just pushed a large update to the MDD Directory. This update fixes a lot of things that were broken (due to the directory being neglected for some time), as well as adding some new features: -

• Removed - Skype from listings (was used by less than 1% of listings)
    • Added - WhatsApp to listings with instant message link
    • Added- Dynamic verification badges
    • Added - Services checkboxes for listings
    • Added - Google Place ID for listings (for reviews)
    • Added - Upload of documentation (replaces emailing)
    • Added - Option for uploaded documentation to be available to public (checkbox on upload)
    • Improved - Listing's Title and Keywords meta tags for even better SEO
    • Improved - Validation / Error reporting on all forms
    • Fixed - All contact / enquiry forms
    • Fixed - Image / Logo upload - now working and more secure
    • Fixed - Lots of DJ registration / login / forgotten password issues
    • Updated - WYSIWYG editor for listings
    • Changed - Listings will expire 1 year after last login. Submission / approval no longer required to reset the clock, just log in to your DJ account.
    • Changed - The order in which listings are shown. Below any "Premium" and "Enhanced" listings, free listings are listed first by town. Then, verified PLI / PAT / ProDub status takes priority based on a scoring system - 2 points for PLI, 2 points for PAT, and 1 point for ProDub. Listings with more than 3 stars average Google review rating (must have Place ID provided) get a boost (max. +2 points). All results are then randomised each page view.
    • Pricing - Discounted (at least temporarily).
    • Pricing - Automatic linking of Directory DJ accounts with forum accounts (email must be the same), for automatic discounting of paid services for MDD Forum Supporters.

As well as a lot of "behind the scenes" improvements, which should make it easier and faster for admins to do what they do. This includes email notifications when listings require approval, as well as email notifications to DJs when they are approved.

In the New Year I plan on giving the "front-end" a redesign, perhaps followed by the DJ's login side. Part of this will include the additional of filters so that visitors can filter DJs by services offered. It is, therefore, very important that DJs log in to their listings and tick the boxes for all the services they offer. The bare minimum is "Mobile Disco", this is pre-selected for all listings and cannot be un-ticked.

I also recommend logging in to your listing and adding your Google Place ID, especially if you already have good Google reviews. I decided against (for now, at least) including a map and showing addresses in listings, but any Google Place ID is used to pull the "most relevant" (as deemed by Google) reviews for your listing. A link to give a review is also added to listings where a Place ID is given.

Edit: PAT / PLI expiry dates, as well as any premium and enhanced listing expiry dates, previously had to be manually switched off by admin once expired. This is now automatic, so with this update quite a few listings will have lost verification badges (or premium / enhanced listing status) they shouldn't have had any more....
    Last edited by Marc J; 01-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.

I've just tweaked this further, to show average Google review star ratings on region, county & town results pages. If over 3 stars, this improves a listing's scoring, placing it higher up the results.

As an example, Julian (Bristol Disco Hire) has entered a Place ID and you can see the results: -

https://www.mobilediscodirectory.co....?id=South+West
    https://www.mobilediscodirectory.co....loucestershire
    https://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/town?id=BRISTOL

Due to the review average (5 stars), it's always as high as it can be within these results.

And, a selection of Google reviews are shown on the listing, too (https://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/listing?id=3419).

Oooh....had a quick look and liking the look of all this . Will have a more in-depth look tomorrow.

One very silly question, because all of the tricks I've followed come up fruitless (and I know others will have the same question)....how do I find my Google PlaceID?

Does the registration currently work?

I just registered - no email arrived. Clicked 'reset password' - email arrived with new password , but error of 'Invalid Login' when using that password...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

I just registered - no email arrived. Clicked 'reset password' - email arrived with new password , but error of 'Invalid Login' when using that password...
    In a similar vein, I decided to log in to update my details, and can't do, because I've changed my email address. I have a live listing, but can't seem to access it. Seems to be my day for technological befuddlement.

Edit: Yup, it's registered to my old Freeserve email, which I can no longer access.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    One very silly question, because all of the tricks I've followed come up fruitless (and I know others will have the same question)....how do I find my Google PlaceID?
    Log in and go to the "Add Google ID" screen. There's a map, and further instructions if you can't find it. Yours is ChIJsyfRbJoS2EcR14yBH39_l9E if you still struggle

It should do....leave this with me. It's been thoroughly beta tested (by me and others) but there may still be gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    In a similar vein, I decided to log in to update my details, and can't do, because I've changed my email address. I have a live listing, but can't seem to access it. Seems to be my day for technological befuddlement.

Edit: Yup, it's registered to my old Freeserve email, which I can no longer access.
    Let me know (PM) which email address you'd like to use for your login, I'll change it for you.
    Last edited by Marc J; 02-01-2020 at 10:56 AM.

I've just PM'd you your activation link. In testing, I found a vast majority of activation emails ended up in spam folders, please check yours as the original email (not that it matters, the PM'd link will work) is probably there.

I've added "Add 'resend activation email' option to registration process" to my to-do list. "The "forgot password" might have issues with accounts that aren't yet activated....I'll look into that to.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Log in and go to the "Add Google ID" screen. There's a map, and further instructions if you can't find it. Yours is ChIJsyfRbJoS2EcR14yBH39_l9E if you still struggle
    Struggle? Well a default map of Australia isn't a good starting point, and despite putting in the details Marc was good enough to furnish me with, nothing happens!

Let me know (PM) which email address you'd like to use for your login, I'll change it for you.
    Amazingly, for Excalibur Mobile Disco, that would be [email protected]

Thanks Marc, much appreciated.
    Last edited by Marc J; 02-01-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Struggle? Well a default map of Australia isn't a good starting point, and despite putting in the details Marc was good enough to furnish me with, nothing happens!
    Now, if you had managed to log in, you'll have seen that the default map on the one here is the UK

Amazingly, for Excalibur Mobile Disco, that would be [email protected]

Thanks Marc, much appreciated.
    Done! You should now be able to log in....

Now, if you had managed to log in, you'll have seen that the default map on the one here is the UK

Done! You should now be able to log in....
    Like Gavin, Invalid login.

Edit: Success at third time of pasting. Many thanks Marc.