Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Marquee Power

Default Marquee Power

Hello all,

I have an event coming up at the end of April - birthday party in a marquee.

Mains power is not an option so a generator will be supplied by the marquee company. I have the chance to specify my power requirements for the sound and light equipment which I am happy to do and will be allowing a good overhead in that.

I'll be making it clear in a very nice way that the power supply it not my responsability.

I've working off generators in the past during other events (they we the large ones that get crained off the delivery lorry) and it's all been fine but I would welcome anyone's opinion/experience on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by RobKennedy View Post

I've working off generators in the past during other events (they we the large ones that get crained off the delivery lorry) and it's all been fine but I would welcome anyone's opinion/experience on the subject.

Thanks in advance.
    Effectively, that's been my experience. If I'm running from a generator, I ask for exclusive use of a 16amp feed, ie not sharing it with venue lights, catering ovens, bar....................

And don't think I'm being flippant, cos I've been given a 16a feed for my exclusive use:
    daisy chained from everything outlined above. Grrr.

So far, I haven't had problems with generators ( touching wood as I type ) of whatever size, but it certainly can ( and does) happen.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'd have thought power from a generator is pretty dirty and unreliable... do you use a UPS for any computer equipment, Peter?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I'd have thought power from a generator is pretty dirty and unreliable... do you use a UPS for any computer equipment, Peter?
    Pure Sine Wave is your friend here. Most of the bigger gennies provide it. As a precaution, the sensitive kit is always run through a UPS (on constant charge from the generator) and I've not yet (touch wood) had a problem.

Now the little builder's generators some people think will do the job.......that's a different story.

Have you ever seen what your electricity guarantee to deliver to the pole outside your homes? It's not clean, and reliable is up for debate. To answer your question Marc, no. Only surge/spike protection. It is definitely something which makes sense though, and may easily happen in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Pure Sine Wave is your friend here. Most of the bigger gennies provide it. As a precaution, the sensitive kit is always run through a UPS (on constant charge from the generator) and I've not yet (touch wood) had a problem.

Now the little builder's generators some people think will do the job.......that's a different story.
    In the old days, it was always suggested to stick a 500w halogen floodlight on them to calm down any violent fluctuations.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Have you ever seen what your electricity guarantee to deliver to the pole outside your homes? It's not clean, and reliable is up for debate.
    Which is why every piece of computer equipment in my house is powered through UPSs, and always has been. And they're on their own ring / fuse, separate from everything else...the advantages of a complete rewire when we moved in

Many moons ago, me and a friend were gaming on PCs in my office when there was a powercut. We didn't even notice, until my partner came through and told us

Which is why every piece of computer equipment in my house is powered through UPSs, and always has been. And they're on their own ring / fuse, separate from everything else...the advantages of a complete rewire when we moved in
    Marc, exactly what makes you think you are in any way typical? In your circumstances, I might have considered a similar course of action.

That's great thanks

I'll request the 16 amp connection that's a good shout and also try to make sure its a Pure Sine Wave generator - should be entertaining !

I'll also look into a small UPS for the controller/laptop. I already use surge protected extension leads, I was considering upgrading to a mains conditioning extension lead but will consider a small UPS. I've used APC UPS's many times in the past for IT stuff so will probably look to stick with those.

The mains conditioner extension leads are £40-£50 so seem like a small investment if they do actually provide a benefit over a standard surge protection cable.