Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DENON !!

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    The benefit is you no longer need a pc, you can do everything straight from the unit. The Prime can handle large music collections, plus the ability to connect to the internet (where available) and download straight to your machine.
    I think the Prime PC software still needs work but improvements have already been made and you really don't have to use it.
    The Prime 4 is not for me, but it has most of the features you need and seems to have a lot of helpful videos on it.
    I don't understand why 'don't need a PC' is a benefit. What is wrong with a PC (or rather, laptop)?

If I wanted a smaller screen experience, I'd be loading the software on to a Windows tablet.

Most of the features is not all of the features I currently have.

Don't get me wrong, there's clearly people that like it. But I genuinely believe it's a niche product - it won't become the 'standard' in the way that a CD/Mixer combo was and the laptop/controller combo currently is.

The benefit is you no longer need a pc, you can do everything straight from the unit. The Prime can handle large music collections, plus the ability to connect to the internet (where available) and download straight to your machine.
    I think the Prime PC software still needs work but improvements have already been made and you really don't have to use it.
    The Prime 4 is not for me, but it has most of the features you need and seems to have a lot of helpful videos on it.

Think about how you search a big library on your laptop. Then think how that might translate to a much smaller touchscreen. Ah there you go. Oh! You say.. I can plug in a USB keyboard... And doubtless Denon may start doing a prime unit you can plug an external monitor into... At which point l suggest you've replaced one laptop with another.

I'm no luddite but I simply can't see myself wanting to part with 1500 quid ( plus flightcase) for a system that doesn't do any better than what I currently use. Then how will I control my lights? Oh yeah another £600 box that sits next to the prime unit. Well no. You can keep it.

Yes there's the 'cool' element.. it's not proper DJing if there's a laptop involved, don't forget! But those kind of people have never taken Denon seriously & probably never will. Pie In Ear til I die!!! Like Technics, they may sound like crap but that's no impediment to them being 'industry standard' & never has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Think about how you search a big library on your laptop. Then think how that might translate to a much smaller touchscreen. Ah there you go. Oh! You say.. I can plug in a USB keyboard... And doubtless Denon may start doing a prime unit you can plug an external monitor into... At which point l suggest you've replaced one laptop with another.
    I'm no luddite but I simply can't see myself wanting to part with 1500 quid ( plus flightcase) for a system that doesn't do any better than what I currently use. Then how will I control my lights? Oh yeah another £600 box that sits next to the prime unit. Well no. You can keep it.
    Yes there's the 'cool' element.. it's not proper DJing if there's a laptop involved, don't forget! But those kind of people have never taken Denon seriously & probably never will. Pie In Ear til I die!!! Like Technics, they may sound like crap but that's no impediment to them being 'industry standard' & never has been.
    My songs are in sections so I can select 80s and scroll until I find what I want or the Denon has a keyboard that you simply type into to find the track

No-one is saying it is better or worse, It is a different approach and has its merits as well as its faults, As for lighting by £600 I assume you mean the Soundswitch system, It is now much cheaper. plus plenty of other options out there that don' cost anything like that,

The Denon Prime 4 is not trying to be 'Industry std' it is offering a standalone system that doesn't require a PC.
    Each to their own this unit just about does everything you could possibly want as a DJ, But it is not for everyone (including me)

My songs are in sections so I can select 80s and scroll until I find what I want or the Denon has a keyboard that you simply type into to find the track

No-one is saying it is better or worse, It is a different approach and has its merits as well as its faults, As for lighting by £600 I assume you mean the Soundswitch system, It is now much cheaper. plus plenty of other options out there that don' cost anything like that,

The Denon Prime 4 is not trying to be 'Industry std' it is offering a standalone system that doesn't require a PC.
    Each to their own this unit just about does everything you could possibly want as a DJ, But it is not for everyone (including me)
    My tunes are in sections too but more often than not they live in more than one place (virtual folder). That said I use text searches a lot too. I'm just saying I don't think scrolling through a big library with encoder knobs is going to be my idea of fun.

As for lighting control I've got it sorted++++ and won't be changing to anything else any time soon. You can keep yer soubdswitch. What I've got is much better (and way cheaper).

Almost everyone I have spoke too with a Prime 4 takes a laptop too

Great unit, but don't think it is for mobile use (maybe not their intention).
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I also do not like to part with old friends, such as Prime 4. He served me for many years without any problems. But time moves and modern technology does not stand still. Now there are a lot of modern and sophisticated dj controllers that are ideal for professionals. And I decided to keep up with the times and buy a new controller, I decided on the choice using the site https://bestdjkit.com/dj-controllers/